The Wild Eric

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

Any Children of Dune fans in here? It was the best version of a Dune translation until Denis showed up. I say this as someone who enjoys Lynch's version as a guilty pleasure.

It looks like most science fiction/Dune fans absolutely adore this film. Plenty of positive reviews from the online film community. I'm still waiting for the "Top Critics" to chime in.

45 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

That's too low. 

Based on social reactions, it seems there's still people who didn't connect with the movie and found it boring.

Maybe the Metacritic score will be a bit higher than my prediction (like 80) but I still think there will be many 40s and 50s lowering the score.

17 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

Any Children of Dune fans in here? It was the best version of a Dune translation until Denis showed up. I say this as someone who enjoys Lynch's version as a guilty pleasure.

Liked it much more than the version of "Frank Herbert's Dune" they did years earlier (which is over praised and not even very accurate to the book despite what some say). Great music, some interesting acting and casting choices and looked much more polished than FHD. 

I don't even look at Lynch's as a guilty pleasure, especially after the Spicediver Redux edit (45 minutes longer and very well done, many changes almost all improvements). It doesn't fix the film entirely but it's a hell of a lot better. Recommend to every non-casual fan! 

https://youtu.be/faHQA_0d9Mo?si=4S2AI-yHZgxvPX3M

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

Massive fan! McAvoy's breakout role if I'm not mistaken, great performances by unknown cast (especially Alia), incredible score. Much better than Dune adaptation the same team did though I liked Irulan's expansion and the actress was great. 

8 minutes ago, IchwanBigBrother said:

Liked it much more than the version of "Frank Herbert's Dune" they did years earlier

Same. Dune series felt stilted in dialog cause they were too scared to stray from the text (sacred cow!) and adpat it to natural dialog. No such problem with CoD which was actually Messiah + CoD adaptation. Made me tear up so many times.

• Like 2

I thought the Guardian's Bradshaw would give an automatic 5 stars, since he did for Part One, but he thought the ending was unsatisfying. This is likely to be echoed elsewhere - it's not an issue for those who know the story can and must continue. Duniverse is simply too big and too grave a place. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/feb/21/dune-part-two-review-denis-villeneuve

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Honestly there’s quite a lot of mixed reviews and not too many flat out raves 

Surprising, it’s not looking that much different than Part 1 reception

Is it up on RT or something? Out of the 8 MC reviews all of them except IW are over 80, 2 of them over 90.

Edited by JustLurking

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Honestly there’s quite a lot of mixed reviews and not too many flat out raves 

Surprising, it’s not looking that much different than Part 1 reception

Way too early to come to any conclusions. But in the language of the old timers, broken record (skipping and repeating), there will be a small and noticeable critical minority always against Dune and similar popular entertainment. 

58 minutes ago, IchwanBigBrother said:

I like your confidence but no, have to disagree. Too many critics as I posted upthread are intransigent against serious sci fi, fantasy and sometimes Dune in particular. 

I'm guessing

RT 89%

MC 83

Not that huge a difference of course and nothing to be ashamed of but better to be a little conservative in this situation. 

Better to be conservative? Is there a contest? lmao

• Haha 1