The Wild Eric

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

44 minutes ago, Firepower said:

February release date also doesn't help.

Technically March and EEAAO was released in March too. If a movie has what it takes, release date doesn't mean shit. By that logic, Oppenheimer (summer movie) shouldn't be the frontrunner but one of fall festival movies released between Oct and December.

Edited by Valonqar

You can never predict the Oscars, especially not at the very beginning of the year. Maybe some other movie comes along we haven't even on the radar now that gets all the momentum. I get it, fans want to be validated, but really, Oscars or no Oscars, the movie will be the movie. Don't stress over it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elessar said:

You can never predict the Oscars, especially not at the very beginning of the year. Maybe some other movie comes along we haven't even on the radar now that gets all the momentum. I get it, fans want to be validated, but really, Oscars or no Oscars, the movie will be the movie. Don't stress over it.

Fans mostly want it to happen for Villeneuve especially after that ridiculous snub

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

Yeah and action/sci-fi films along with comedies have a difficult time winning in major categories at the Oscars. A sci fi film has never won Best Picture

Edited by joselowe

Just now, joselowe said:

Yeah and action/sci-fi films along with comedies have a difficult time winning in major categories at the Oscars. I think Avatar 1 is the only sci-fi film to have ever won Best Picture

Nobody tell him...

• Haha 5

I'll be seeing this in theaters, the first movie since Godzilla Minus One that I'll see in theaters.

Pretty pathetic that I haven't gone in 2024 at all yet. There were a couple I was on the fence on, but never pulled the trigger.

Pre lock downs I literally went more than 50 times a year (big movies opening weekend, smaller movies and 2nd or even 3rd viewings on discount Tuesdays), now it's once every 2 months or so.😑

I was actually about to buy tickets, but since my last time getting tickets online they have added a $1 online booking fee and raised ticket prices to $21 for AVX (the only option right now, regular will be added closer to release date). This is just plain crazy now.

I'll still see it, but I'll get tickets in person tomorrow since the theater happens to be a convenient stop on my way home from work.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

I don't know how you decide whether a film is bleak or not, if it's about bad guys getting comeuppance, then Dune part II may not be bleak for you at all.

But wait until.....

Spoiler

Dune 3/Dune Messiah. It does not have a happy ending. That was a reason why, back in 1965 when the novel was first published, the publisher sliced the last fourth of the novel; they wanted a "Happy" ending for what was a risky bet publishing as a paperback original a novel tha tlong. The cut fourth became 'DUne Messiah" after Dune was a huge sucess.

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

Opening a year out from the awards is a handicap. Yes, it can be overcome but the long long distance btweeen the film opening and the awards is not helping.

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Nobody tell him...

And don;t tell him that it was Del Toro, not Cameron who broke the barrier agqinst Sci FI winning the BP with "The Shape Of Water".

I guess fo rosme people, if does not take place in outer space or have huge monsters it is not Sci Fi.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JustLurking said:

108 reviews, still 97% and only 3 negative. Another...9? positive reviews and it goes up to 98%.

2 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Down to 5 more for the 98 👀

Time for "Reviews Are Mixed" headline :lol:

• Haha 2

All this Oscar talk isn’t quite as bad as when an MCU movie would come out with glowing reviews and fanboys would earnestly discuss best picture chances… but it’s not far off. Let’s talk again in ten months.

Edited by Hatebox