Eric Atreides

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

33 minutes ago, joselowe said:

Glad you mentioned this. I think Zendaya particularly is going to be a huge star in Hollywood. She’s had some great and successful roles as co-lead but I think Challengers and Dune might be the films to make her A List in Hollywood. Especially since she’s huge on social media and in the fashion world.

She’s already a huge a-list star in Hollywood. But again that doesn’t mean her name can sell a film. 

38 minutes ago, babz06 said:

She’s already a huge a-list star in Hollywood. But again that doesn’t mean her name can sell a film. 

She doesn’t have any flop films to her name at the box office. But I think Challengers will be the real test since she’s the only well known name selling that film.

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

We live an era where pretty much nobody can sell any film other than the remaining players of star age from the 1990s.  

Screen-Shot-2023-04-28-at-9.58.51-AM.png

HP.jpg

The have both proven that they can sell anything with their name attached to it. Even if Black Adam underperfomed it was still a smash hit at the box office.

I think Zendaya and Timothee this year after Dune, Challengers and Wonka will prove their place as box office stars especially if they keep choosing the right roles after this year.

Trailer hits 20M views on YT in 3.5 days

Passes the latest trailers for Transformers (9 days old) Hunger Games (8 days old) and Marvels (3 weeks old) with ease. Still moving well. 

Also Part 1 has climbed up to #13 (+4) on YT Movies bestsellers.

Edited by ando
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

7 hours ago, excel1 said:

We live an era where pretty much nobody can sell any film other than the remaining players of star age from the 1990s.  

Yeah, maybe Tom Cruise still has a bigger bump for box office. Similar to Nolan as a director. Would be great to see if someone has made some real analysis on this.

4 hours ago, joselowe said:

HP.jpg

The have both proven that they can sell anything with their name attached to it. Even if Black Adam underperfomed it was still a smash hit at the box office.

I think Zendaya and Timothee this year after Dune, Challengers and Wonka will prove their place as box office stars especially if they keep choosing the right roles after this year.

Correlation isn't same as causation but what comes to Black Adam, that was a flop and lost a lot of money with its $200m budget. And looks like Guardians vol 3. won't even hit breakeven in box office but probably can get that with later additives. In any case, very disappointing to the studio. But I guess Mario's billion+ came from Pratt's starpower ;)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, joselowe said:

HP.jpg

The Rock is a pop culture icon from the 1990s and has been in film for over 20 years now. It was a huge deal when he entered Hollywood in 2001 with The Mummy. The 2001 Hollywood Reporter star metric had The Rock as the 3rd highest riser of the year behind #1 Josh Hartnett and & #2 Vin Diesel. 

Pratt himself is not a major draw.

16 hours ago, von Kenni said:

Yeah, maybe Tom Cruise still has a bigger bump for box office. Similar to Nolan as a director. Would be great to see if someone has made some real analysis on this.

Correlation isn't same as causation but what comes to Black Adam, that was a flop and lost a lot of money with its $200m budget. And looks like Guardians vol 3. won't even hit breakeven in box office but probably can get that with later additives. In any case, very disappointing to the studio. But I guess Mario's billion+ came from Pratt's starpower ;)

To be fair, if anyone other than The Rock, Brad Pitt, Denzel, Leo, or Cruise is in the lead role as Black Adam, we can cut that films gross in half. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 2

Pratt was definately on the path post-breakout but after Magnificent Seven and Passengers did mediocre to okayish numbers and got immediately forgotten he just run back to his mega IP gigs.

Jurassic and GOTG had made him famous worldwide, so I'm not ruling out him eventually having a Rayn Reynolds/Free Guy moment where his persona translates to a populist movie that isn't backed by huge IP. But until then I wouldn't call him a movie star. Giving him boxoffice cred for voicing the most famous video game character of all time in a billion dollar hit is plain silly to me.

Rock on the other hand and despite his abysmal choices the last few years quality wise, is definately one of the few real draws. Even his franchise stuff are certainly boosted by his popularity. Black Adam without him would have done worse than Shazam 2.

14 hours ago, Starphanluke said:

Yeah, I've seen the teasing all over Twitter. But it seems awfully soon for a second trailer?

I wonder if tracking is not going well. 

The Quorum numbers so far have not been great, especially for a “highly anticipated” sequel/part 2. Only comfort is that both Oppenheimer and Barbie are headed for OWs better than you would expect based on their current Quorum numbers. 

Yes definitely tracking is not good, first trailer about first movie made 45M views, the first of the sequel 22-23M.

After the success of the first movie you could expect the first trailer of the sequel doing better, not the half of it. So a new trailer and even too much long, to show more things possible.

Anyways I think people liked the first movie are going to see this sequel so it's not a problem. Probably it's not going to explode as sequel but if the first made 400M with Hbo Max and the pandemic in a lot of countries this should make 600M easily.

Edited by vale9001