Eric Duncan

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

Now then, Dune Sisterhood out, couple other spin-offs in the works, announcement of Dune Messiah at some point, Dune games (tip: you can download Dune 2000 online for free...I did that two weeks ago), board games, comics, whatever creative spin-offs & tie-ins to actively engage more people to the world of Dune, get as many eyeballs watch Part 1 around the world, and then BAM!

Dune Part 2 with Interstellar type numbers: $60m+ OW, $220+m DOM & $800m WW...and another roll on the wheel with more momentum. Dune is here to stay.

9 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

Now then, Dune Sisterhood out, couple other spin-offs in the works, announcement of Dune Messiah at some point

Messiah is done deal, IMO DV said he wanted to do it, Dune 2 will at least double what Dune made, and, Messiah also opens the door for continuation with the ghola which they very likely had in mind with their casting. I'd sat likely 3 years after Dune 2 rather than 2 (remember Dune was originally a 2020 release). 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

If Barry Keoghan is cast as Feyd, that would be inspired. Assuming he'll be bald like the rest of Harks, he'll look like Bautista's younger brother. I'm counting on those emojis to mean yes. 🤞🤞

I bet that they have the cast ready and that Dune 2 was approved for quite some time but they were just waiting for the right moment. So expect an influx of casting news. 

Very glad we’re getting this. Part One is fantastic, it’s a near perfect adaptation of one of the greatest and most influential sci-fi novels ever written. Part Two will improve it for  people who didn’t love it.

This is destined to be one of the most beloved film series on the long run, alongside Lord of the Rings and the original Star Wars trilogy.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

Now then, Dune Sisterhood out, couple other spin-offs in the works, announcement of Dune Messiah at some point, Dune games (tip: you can download Dune 2000 online for free...I did that two weeks ago), board games, comics, whatever creative spin-offs & tie-ins to actively engage more people to the world of Dune, get as many eyeballs watch Part 1 around the world, and then BAM!

Dune Part 2 with Interstellar type numbers: $60m+ OW, $220+m DOM & $800m WW...and another roll on the wheel with more momentum. Dune is here to stay.

They do not need spinoffs ,given the number of sequels to Dune are in print...

You have the other two books of the original "Dune Trilogy" "Dune Messiah" and "Children Of Dune" which is sort of a sage in and of itself. Then you have the post basic saga sequels that Herbert wrote himself, beginning with "God Emperor Of Dune"' and then the ones his son wrote.....must be close to ten sequels in print. Granted, the quality of most of the sequels...the post Frank Herbert ones in particular, is not very good..downright bad with a couple, but you have plenty of Dune novels to film before you need to think about Spinoffs.

BTW Dune Messiah was actually meant to be the last part of "Dune" but was cut by the publishers of the novel in 1965 for economic reasons ...it would have pushed the cost of the novel above what the publishers thought would sell, and .....

Spoiler

Dune Messiah has a definent downbeat ending.

27 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Very glad we’re getting this. Part One is fantastic, it’s a near perfect adaptation of one of the greatest and most influential sci-fi novels ever written. Part Two will improve it for  people who didn’t love it.

This is destined to be one of the most beloved film series on the long run, alongside Lord of the Rings and the original Star Wars trilogy.

I would not go that far. It is a sucess, but not the massive sucess those films had. Let's wait and see what happens.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, babz06 said:

so what are the predictions for the sequel? 

450-500m WW?

At a bare minimum.

Next time around:

-Hopefully no global pandemic

-Hopefully no staggered release (some markets got Part One in September, some have to wait for December)

-Hopefully no 1080p and 4K pirate rips early on

-Definitely no day and date HBO Max streaming

-No longer an unfamiliar property

-Prequel series coming to HBO Max

-Presumably the already-started rush of expanded universe media will continue. We've already seen a massive influx of prequel novels, comic book and graphic novel adaptations, short stories, board games, and tabletop RPGs. Expect to see more on all of those fronts and likely video games too, as Dune has a very important legacy in the history of real time strategy and computer role-playing/adventure games.

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Part Two double the global performance of Part One.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, babz06 said:

so what are the predictions for the sequel? 

450-500m WW?

Anything below $500m would be disappointing from WB & Legendary's franchise thinking perspective. @famicommander laid out the land well. I would add to the list only 1) larger penetration with IMAX/PLF to boost the revenues and 2) chance to upgame the marketing by learning from mistakes this time around (especially analyzing China & Asia), learning from the target audiences more, and having more engaged partners marketing partners (+fandom) to drive people into cinema.

For Asia, I think Interstellar & Tenet (even though a pandemic release) as high-concept scifis are good comparisons to show the potential:

Inf. Adj. China Taiwan Hong Kong Japan SK
Interstellar (2014) 160 10 7.8 12.1 80
Tenet (2020) 70.6 12.6 7.5 27.4 17.5
Dune 40 5.5 4 7 8

(estimates for Dune with +-10% margin of error)

I don't know about the Interstellar's SK "anomaly" but other highest numbers and then some are in grasp for Dune Part 2 if they succeed with the film (high confidence level) & marketing (moderate confidence level).

China is interesting for

1) Legendary as a subsidiary of Wanda that owns the cinemas and that way about 80% box office stays in the "family" encouraging to put their A-game for marketing,

2) growing interest for everything related to space due to governmental push in the new space race (+ is the Three Body Problem filming already?), although

3) if you plan to do any meaningful things in China, you need to have the government onboard but as they are pushing space they are pushing their own mythology & culture  for space as well as popular culture generally which might not promise good things for foreign IPs sailing to its market

100-150 should be potential there but then again, the world can go upside down in next 2 years...

There needs and will be some cutting and focus with characters in Part 2. Already Part 1 had so many that we didn't have much character building moments for Gurney, Thufir or Yueh. Plenty of new characters in Part 2 so there needs to be some Glorfindeling or otherwise brutal focus. Any thoughts on that or the two (spoilers) scenes below:

Spoiler

1) I'm intrigued how Villeneuve is going to play the Luke-Vaderish thing. It was a bit too casually portrayed in the novel and I for sure would like to see it getting a more iconic scene without being mocked as a SW remake. There's a clearly a more uniting message under all it that is pretty timely when Gurney hates Harkonnen as says they are brutal, but if he would know about Paul and Jessica...

2) I also was bugged by the fact that Paul didn't meet the Baron before Alia had her way. They should meet at least and then Paul being part of it at least as a spectator.

1 hour ago, von Kenni said:

There needs and will be some cutting and focus with characters in Part 2. Already Part 1 had so many that we didn't have much character building moments for Gurney, Thufir or Yueh. Plenty of new characters in Part 2 so there needs to be some Glorfindeling or otherwise brutal focus. Any thoughts on that or the two (spoilers) scenes below:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

If Children of Dune isn't going to get made then you can probably ignore the Vader/Luke thing since that detail is only critical to Alia's eventual story.  Obviously you lose some of the nuance and messaging of the book by doing that, but it isn't necessary for telling a compelling story that still has plenty of depth.

3 hours ago, von Kenni said:

Hide contents

1) I'm intrigued how Villeneuve is going to play the Luke-Vaderish thing. It was a bit too casually portrayed in the novel and I for sure would like to see it getting a more iconic scene without being mocked as a SW remake. There's a clearly a more uniting message under all it that is pretty timely when Gurney hates Harkonnen as says they are brutal, but if he would know about Paul and Jessica...

2) I also was bugged by the fact that Paul didn't meet the Baron before Alia had her way. They should meet at least and then Paul being part of it at least as a spectator.

The Ultimate irony is....

Spoiler

Dune being accused by some of being a Star Wars ripoff, when Lucas has been upfront  that Dune was a huge influence on 

Star Wars.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1