Eric Atreides

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

On 10/26/2021 at 11:34 AM, Merkel said:

And some of sets are surely to be re-used

Hell, some of the locations they shot at were used by David Lean in "Lawrence Of Arabia". 

No surprise, since Villaneuve has not made a secret what a huge fan he is of that movie.

Edited by dudalb

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The Ultimate irony is....

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, my brain has lately made those connections on hyperdrive and in this case it's heightened because I really would like to see it in more weighted manner in Part 2...

@von Kenni and @ZackM

IMO, Luke-Vader thingy in Dune has a different context. It is a revelation that Bene Gesserit got their Atreides/Harkonnen male just not how they planned (it was supposed to be the son of the Atreides daughter and most likely Feyd as a Harkonnen of similar age). In SW, it was more waaa? and here it was I see now why Paul is Kwisatz Haderach since he's a product of the mating that was to be final. 

But anyway, as others said, it's important in Alia's arc, not so much in Paul's with the exception of that explanation. Which no one questions anyway. 

After all, they didn't reveal Liet-Kynes and Chani relationship (mother and daughter) either. In the book, Chani softens towards Paul when she finds out he lost his father on the same day by the same people. Or that Stilgar is Chani's uncle.

• Like 1

I'm so glad they have a verbal commitment to doing Dune 2. I'll be more satisfied when they actually start shooting the thing because until then people can always change their minds. Though a youtuber had a theory that Legendary already had this Dune 2 commitment in the bank because of the Dune theatrical/HBO release issue. Who knows...I just want to see freaking Part 2 and death to filmmakers who film half a movie praying there will be a part 2 in the first place. That's just ratty. I love the film and the actors in it and this story. I wasn't happy they bounced Feyd for the brute instead. Come on now but whatever. So looking forward to P2. I'm gonna catch it one more time in Dolby before it gets bounced out of premium theatres for Eternals. 

31 minutes ago, nghtvsn said:

I wasn't happy they bounced Feyd for the brute instead. 

Feyd is more important in Muad'dib story than in Paul's. So he is simply moved to part 2 together with the Corrinos who are also more important in Muad'dib story. Great economizing by DV. Instead of switching between too many characters, relatively new ones will replenish the cast since some characters aren't coming back for obvious reasons. 

On 10/28/2021 at 2:01 PM, SpiderByte said:

Not sure they could turn over a project of that size in (optimistically) just over a year. Even if they reuse props and etc. Could see a move closer to December, especially given the...unclear positioning of Star Wars as a film franchise post Skywalker Saga.

FOr one thing, there is quite a bit of new casting to be done, since quite a few new charecters  show up in the second half of the novel.

On 10/28/2021 at 11:23 PM, Napoleon said:

Doubt this will be able to be finished in time, will probably be moved to Easter or Summer 2024 

From the article:

The announcement of Dune: Part Two also included a release date of Oct. 20, 2023, and Villeneuve estimates that the earliest he could begin shooting would be in the fall of 2022.

“It’s fantastic news, but it’s also kind of a burden. The good news is that a lot of the work has been done already regarding design, casting, locations and writing,” Villeneuve shares. “So we’re not starting from scratch. It’s not a long period of time, but I will try to face that challenge because it’s important for me that the audience sees Part Two as soon as possible. It’s not a sequel where it’s another episode or another story with the same characters. It actually has direct continuity to the first movie. It’s the second part of the big, huge movie that I’m trying to do. So, the sooner the better.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

From the article:

2 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

From the article:

On 10/28/2021 at 2:01 PM, SpiderByte said:

Not sure they could turn over a project of that size in (optimistically) just over a year. Even if they reuse props and etc. Could see a move closer to December, especially given the...unclear positioning of Star Wars as a film franchise post Skywalker Saga.

Cast and crew hoping they start filming in the fall,you sure as hell do not want to shoot in Jordanian desert  in the summer..

15 hours ago, Macleod said:

Any speculation that Villeneuveee already shot pieces of things that will be used in Part 2?  That could have happened, as well. 

I don't remember the source, but yes. I think he had shot some scenes after the current ending but due to WB's demand needed to cut the movie from 3h to its current length. I think there was talk about a 10-20 min long scene(s).

On another note, Hans Zimmer plans to get more nuts for Part 2 (and Messiah):

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/dune-part-2-hans-zimmer

The leaked script, while slightly different from the final version in some scenes, does go beyond where the movie ended. For book/Lynch/Sy Fy mini readers/viewers:

After the fight with Jamis, Paul and Jessica are initiated into the Sietch Tabr. Jessica takes Water of Life, survives the Spice Agony. This is presented as a psychedelic scene. After that, while Sietch is having the spice orgy, Paul is having a vision of the violent future. When he opens his eyes, he sees that Chani is riding him. After they climax, Chani chants all his names: Paul, Lisan al Gaib, the One That Points the Way. The end.

You can see why this was not the ending in the movie.  

other changes: instead of the Voice training during breakfast, Jessica and Paul practice weirding fight where they spar with their hands very fast while sitting in lotus position. Duke doesn't die of the poison but Baron descends from the ceiling on him and kills him. There were 2 non-graphic sex scenes between Leto and Jessica, one right after she gave him the massage. There was a party where Paul was courted by the girls who were Harkonnen spies. The opening was an animated tapestry and narrated by Gaius Helen Mohiam instead of Chani showing Paul her world.

Again, you can see why changes/cuts were made.

• Like 1

Nothing really surprising, but Villeneuve confirms in a interview with Empire that Feyd will be in Part 2:

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/dune-spoiler-interview-denis-villeneuve-ending-paul-dreams-and-part-two/

Feyd-Rautha, the Harkonnen heir – might he be in Part Two?

Definitely. That's a choice that I personally brought on. There was enough characters that were introduced in this first part, and it will be more elegant to keep Feyd for Part Two. It will be definitely a very, very important character in the second part.

I also thought this passage was very interesting, lore-wise:

The transport ships themselves echo the shape of the worms – is it a sort of stargate that people pass through, or is that the ship itself?

The Heighliners that are used by the Spacing Guild are ships. We went through a long period of design. When we came [up] with that shape, I knew we had the right one. It feels like an echo to the worm, and at the same time it feels like it could be seen as a stargate. It's like the system that [the Imperium] are using to travel and to bridge space and time is… I like again to not explain it and try to stay in a zone of [the] unknown. I think it's absolutely beautiful. And that's where we took a little bit of liberty from the book, where it has a feeling that it could be something that is folding space in a way, that you can see it as almost as a stargate. But I like to keep it [a] mystery right now. It will be more permanent and explained in Part Two.

• Like 1