dudalb

The Rust/Baldwin Shooting Thread.

In case people haven’t seen this, it’s a very informative thread (by a veteran armorer) explaining the process of what *should* happen (and does on any decent shoot). It’s a week old but the info is still 100% pertinent, as it’s more about the process than the specific details of what happened on RUST. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2021 at 7:22 PM, Plain Old Tele said:

There are already super rigid protocols in place. Crews need to feel empowered enough to call BS on productions who aren’t willing to comply. I’m not quite sure how you do that or find a way to enforce rogue productions without the crew reporting it. 

And I think the Unions should press for a requirement that everybody working on a film where firearms are to be used....from the gofers to the 20 Million dollar paycheck star.. gets a basic course in firearm safety. It would take maybe a hour. And the first think you are taught in a firearms safety course is whenever you pick up a gun, ALWAYS check to see if it loaded or not.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

And I think the Unions should press for a requirement that everybody working on a film where firearms are to be used....from the gofers to the 20 Million dollar paycheck star.. gets a basic course in firearm safety. It would take maybe a hour. And the first think you are taught in a firearms safety course is whenever you pick up a gun, ALWAYS check to see if it loaded or not.

I mean, sure, but if existing protocols were followed that wouldn’t be necessary at all. Like, why would the craft service dude need to take a firearm safety course? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I mean, sure, but if existing protocols were followed that wouldn’t be necessary at all. Like, why would the craft service dude need to take a firearm safety course? 

I think we have our answer.

In my Civil War reenactment group, even those who have civilian roles have to take a firearms safety course. For a film to do this wuld not hurt, might help.

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Oof. The lack of awareness here is astonishing. 

Awareness towards what?

If that is the reality that Baldwin himself experienced, he should be sharing that. An accidental shooting death absolutely does not guarantee everything about the production was unsafe. It's such a terrible reflection of todays simple, generalizing norm to go "Oh, an accident happen and an hourly wage extra said they thought things looked unsafe! Everything must have been horrible". 

Baldwin has been on plenty of productions, huge and tiny. If his personal opinion is this one was safe, he has every right to share it and bring "awareness" to that perspective. 

12 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Awareness towards what?

If that is the reality that Baldwin himself experienced, he should be sharing that. An accidental shooting death absolutely does not guarantee everything about the production was unsafe. It's such a terrible reflection of todays simple, generalizing norm to go "Oh, an accident happen and an hourly wage extra said they thought things looked unsafe! Everything must have been horrible". 

Baldwin has been on plenty of productions, huge and tiny. If his personal opinion is this one was safe, he has every right to share it and bring "awareness" to that perspective. 

Just holy shit, dude, have you been following the story at all? 

58 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Just holy shit, dude, have you been following the story at all? 

Of course I have followed it. Baldwin has a right to share his experience like everyone else. It's ridiculous that some want to paint him as a bad guy for an obvious accident and now sharing his perspective. 

Edited by excel1

19 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Oof. The lack of awareness here is astonishing. 

Someon tell Alec that channeling his charecter in "Glengerry Glen Ross" ain't gonna work here.

And it's not just one crew member, we are hearing horror stories about unsafe the set was from multiple sources.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, excel1 said:

Of course I have followed it. Baldwin has a right to share his experience like everyone else. It's ridiculous that some want to paint him as a bad guy for an obvious accident and now sharing his perspective. 

Maybe, but, frankly, the way Baldwin is handling it is going to backfire on him. he should not be doing his angry shitick here.

And, I repeat, Baldwin was a producer on this film;that means he bears at least some of the reponsbility for the unsafe practices that led to this tragedy.

But fanboys gonna fanboy

15 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

The more that comes out, the worse it looks for Baldwin. I felt bad for him at first (when it truly sounded like a freak accident) but not anymore. Man keeps deflecting and doesn't seem to show any guilt or remorse for what happened. 

I don't a fuck about Alec Baldwin, but the media clearly cherry picking here. Baldwin was supposedly beyond distraught following the accident, treated the husband and child of her very well, and preemptively tried to create a settlement for them.

I also see no issue with completing the film? She is FAR from the first death on a production. Google it - there have been many of them. The films were almost always completed? What is so strange about that thought. 

We now know that the gun fired without Baldwin pulling the trigger. He apparently simply cocked the gun back, which people do all the time with those old fashioned guns. IDK why everyone is always looking to rip someone down. This was clearly an extremely unfortunate accident.

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I don't a fuck about Alec Baldwin, but the media clearly cherry picking here. Baldwin was supposedly beyond distraught following the accident, treated the husband and child of her very well, and preemptively tried to create a settlement for them.

I also see no issue with completing the film? She is FAR from the first death on a production. Google it - there have been many of them. The films were almost always completed? What is so strange about that thought. 

We now know that the gun fired without Baldwin pulling the trigger. He apparently simply cocked the gun back, which people do all the time with those old fashioned guns. IDK why everyone is always looking to rip someone down. This was clearly an extremely unfortunate accident.

He wasn't just an actor for the film though, he was a producer and bears responsibility for the unsafe set. They went for non-union crew to save money, underpaid people, safety standards were not being met prior (accidental discharges happened prior to the incident). As a producer, him and the other people producing had a duty to ensure safety on set. Also "simply" cocking the hammer of a gun is still extremely dangerous as it can fire if it drops down (which is what happened).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/rust-movie-shooting-joel-souza-1.6222768

6 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

He wasn't just an actor for the film though, he was a producer and bears responsibility for the unsafe set.

Where did I say he was just an actor, and I suppose we really need to define "unsafe set". Watch the Michael bay behind the scenes video of the ambulance explosion. THAT is an unsafe set. This?

They went for non-union crew to save money, underpaid people, safety standards were not being met prior (accidental discharges happened prior to the incident). As a producer, him and the other people producing had a duty to ensure safety on set.

See above. I find it strange that after all of the deaths that have sadly occurred during production of a film, this is the one that everyone is freaking out about. Someone died while filming THE DARK KNIGHT. Brandon Lee is an obvious example. You cant protect against EVERYTHING - freak accident do happen, however tragic. 

Also "simply" cocking the hammer of a gun is still extremely dangerous as it can fire if it drops down (which is what happened).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/rust-movie-shooting-joel-souza-1.6222768

Except the bullet should have been a blank. This incident was the result of 2 extremely unlikely occurrences - 1, a real bullet being present in the gun, and 2, the cocking of the gun resulting in its firing. It is, obviously, an extremely unfortunate coincidence. 

Sorry but is nothing short of bizarre to see everyone acting like Alex Baldwin is a murderer. Twitter brings out the absolute worst in people. 

2 hours ago, Tarintino said:

If I accidently killed someone at work because I didn't follow safety procedures, I'd be in prison. Same rules should apply to Baldwin

sure, but what protocols did he not follow ?