dudalb

The Rust/Baldwin Shooting Thread.

26 minutes ago, excel1 said:

sure, but what protocols did he not follow ?

Checking the gun for bullets I'd have thought. Jensen Ackles was interviewed days prior to the incident in which he explained the safety measures they had to take. The procedure was to check the guns, not ask someone else if its safe. If a lorry drivers load is overweight, he gets penalized even if his boss loaded it and told him he was underweight

• Like 3

On 3/13/2022 at 2:25 PM, TheDude391 said:

He wasn't just an actor for the film though, he was a producer and bears responsibility for the unsafe set. They went for non-union crew to save money, underpaid people, safety standards were not being met prior (accidental discharges happened prior to the incident). As a producer, him and the other people producing had a duty to ensure safety on set. Also "simply" cocking the hammer of a gun is still extremely dangerous as it can fire if it drops down (which is what happened).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/rust-movie-shooting-joel-souza-1.6222768

THIS. Baldwin was a producer on the film, and from what  Ihave read the film was pretty much his project and his baby; and bears direct reponsibility for the unsafe conditions that led to the shooting.

I notice that a couple of poster here seem to have a aversion to the idea of anybody being held responsbile for his actions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tarintino said:

Checking the gun for bullets I'd have thought. Jensen Ackles was interviewed days prior to the incident in which he explained the safety measures they had to take. The procedure was to check the guns, not ask someone else if its safe. If a lorry drivers load is overweight, he gets penalized even if his boss loaded it and told him he was underweight

The first thing they teach you in a gun safety course is to ALWAYS check the gun to see if it loaded as the first thing to do if you pick it up.

4 hours ago, excel1 said:

Isn't it suppose to have a bullet ?

people should redirect their anger at Bruce Jenner 

Bruce? 

Also yeah she killed someone too and unfortunately didn't get the punishment she ought to have gotten so what's the point being made here? That two wrongs make a right?

10 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Her name's Caitlyn. And yeah, she sucks too.

She was Bruce at the time and the entire thing was basically swept under the rug thanks to SJW wanting to make a hero out of his transition. His negligence made him 10000x more responsible for that death than Baldwin's freak chain of events.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

Bruce? 

Also yeah she killed someone too and unfortunately didn't get the punishment she ought to have gotten so what's the point being made here? That two wrongs make a right?

I am a member of the fair and reasonable police and take issue any time punishment seems heavy handed relative to similar or worse events. This is an obvious example of that. 

Matthew Hutchins, widower of Halyna Hutchins who was killed on set, will be an executive producer on film, the statement adds.

“We have reached a settlement, subject to court approval, for our wrongful death case against the producers of Rust, including Alec Baldwin and Rust Movie Productions, LLC. As part of that settlement, our case will be dismissed. The filming of Rust, which I will now executive produce, will resume with all the original principal players on board in January 2023. I have no interest in engaging in recriminations or attribution of blame (to the producers or Mr. Baldwin). All of us believe Halyna’s death was a terrible accident. I am grateful that the producers and the entertainment community have come together to pay tribute to Halyna’s final work,” Hutchins said in a statement.

I guess that's a charitable way of looking at it, to say they're completing her final work. This will attract viewers out of morbid curiosity, but more money could end up going to her family. Still...

On 3/14/2022 at 8:42 PM, Tarintino said:

Checking the gun for bullets I'd have thought. 

On 3/15/2022 at 6:10 AM, dudalb said:

The first thing they teach you in a gun safety course is to ALWAYS check the gun to see if it loaded as the first thing to do if you pick it up.

I know it's been months since these posts but having actually worked on or been at a few film sets I gotta chim in. Procedures on a film set aren't the same as real life gun safety (because if it was movies with any kind of weaponry would never get made at all since a lot of the time there's a firearm pointing at someone). If the crew hands you a prop gun actors always assume it's safe if they're told it's "cold". No actor would ever examine or open a gun that is handed to them by the AD. It would result in a fine and a maybe even a stalled production especially if it involves SAG-AFTRA protocols. Ensuring the safety of the firearm occurs before the actor is given the prop and is the job of other people in the film crew. 

My last job we had over a dozen guns for a shot that spanned over a few days and when the actors were handed their prop guns I didn't see one actor inspect their weapon to see if it was empty. Because they were already checked like what thousands of other film productions do by professionals. 

Now sure you can argue Baldwin might or might not be liable for other reasons. The film set of Rust was a mess, chain of command involving inspection of firearms for the film was flagrantly broken. But specifically blaming Baldwin for not checking if his gun was loaded is pointless. 

• Like 6

On 1/19/2023 at 8:49 AM, Ryan Reynolds said:

Good, It's about time some Celeb has to face real consquences for his actions.

Baldwin was a producere, it is clear he was calling the shots on this project from day one, and he should have responsiblity for what happened.

10 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

I know it's been months since these posts but having actually worked on or been at a few film sets I gotta chim in. Procedures on a film set aren't the same as real life gun safety (because if it was movies with any kind of weaponry would never get made at all since a lot of the time there's a firearm pointing at someone). If the crew hands you a prop gun actors always assume it's safe if they're told it's "cold". No actor would ever examine or open a gun that is handed to them by the AD. It would result in a fine and a maybe even a stalled production especially if it involves SAG-AFTRA protocols. Ensuring the safety of the firearm occurs before the actor is given the prop and is the job of other people in the film crew. 

My last job we had over a dozen guns for a shot that spanned over a few days and when the actors were handed their prop guns I didn't see one actor inspect their weapon to see if it was empty. Because they were already checked like what thousands of other film productions do by professionals. 

Now sure you can argue Baldwin might or might not be liable for other reasons. The film set of Rust was a mess, chain of command involving inspection of firearms for the film was flagrantly broken. But specifically blaming Baldwin for not checking if his gun was loaded is pointless. 

I agree about Baldwin not chekcing his guns..though he should have..but since this was  the driving force behind the film from day one, the messed up chaind of command is at least partially his responsiblity

Someone is dead,someone needs to be held responsible.

On 3/13/2022 at 2:36 PM, excel1 said:

Where did I say he was just an actor, and I suppose we really need to define "unsafe set". Watch the Michael bay behind the scenes video of the ambulance explosion. THAT is an unsafe set. This?

See above. I find it strange that after all of the deaths that have sadly occurred during production of a film, this is the one that everyone is freaking out about. Someone died while filming THE DARK KNIGHT. Brandon Lee is an obvious example. You cant protect against EVERYTHING - freak accident do happen, however tragic. 

Except the bullet should have been a blank. This incident was the result of 2 extremely unlikely occurrences - 1, a real bullet being present in the gun, and 2, the cocking of the gun resulting in its firing. It is, obviously, an extremely unfortunate coincidence. 

Sorry but is nothing short of bizarre to see everyone acting like Alex Baldwin is a murderer. Twitter brings out the absolute worst in people. 

Guy, you are  also saying in another thread that Ezra Miller is being picked on.

You seem to have this urge to defend Celebs regardless of circumstances.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Guy, you are  also saying in another thread that Ezra Miller is being picked on.

You seem to have this urge to defend Celebs regardless of circumstances.

I don't give a shit about celeb or no celeb. Call it like I see. I am not one of these "OJ is innocent!" people.

The Manslaugher charges were ridiculous, but Baldwin still has to deal with  the lawsuits he will face for neligance a a producer on the film and the owner of El Dorado Productions, the lead producing company on the film.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1