Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

SPENCER OPENING WEEKEND THREAD

7d4e42c8cf595289c9bdde997e2c4fca21f55c92

After months of anticipation and speculation the most anticipated film of the season arrives: SPENCER.  Kristen Stewart sheds her non-acting awkward persona to completely transform into Diana Spencer, aka Princess Diana, the Dutches off Wales and most-beloved women of her time. 

Will Stewart finally shed her teenage persona of "that chick from Twilight"?  Will her harrowing performances earn her an Oscar nomination and win?  The Academy Awards are suckers for these totally immersive, ripped from the history books roles (Renee Zellweger for Judy, Meryl for Margaret Thatcher, Salma Hayek for Frida Kahlo, et al, ad nauseam).  We will know in a few months; until then, we can only hope to keep this thread's pandemonium in check; thus:

RULES AND REGS

ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS.

NOT EVEN SPOILERS POSTED UNDER SPOILER TAGS. 

POSTING SPOILERS WILL BE AN AUTOMATIC THREAD BAN FOR THE WEEKEND: NO WARNING, NO RETURN

THE REPORT AND IGNORE BUTTONS ARE YOUR FRIENDS. 

Screen_Shot_2021-11-04_at_4.31.54_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-11-04_at_4.41.25_PM.png

(Side Note: Big SHOUT OUT to @Porthos for singlehandedly getting me through last week.  You're the best, you're my Huckleberry.)

Please use these!  And remember:

N : Not Cool
I : Ignore
R : Report
D : Don't Response/Reblog

DON'T BE A DICK. 

NO PERSONAL ATTACKS OF ANY KIND.  THEY WILL RESULT IN AN AUTOMATIC THREAD BAN FOR THE WEEKEND: NO WARNING, NO RETURN.

You want to criticize a movie, that's okay.

You want to criticize a movie via attacking a fellow member or group of members for liking it, that's not okay. 

This also applies to the filmmakers and the actors. 

You want to say that Billy Wilder is an overrated hack of a director that only got by on the strength of his writing, that's okay. 

You want to criticize his work by throwing out antisemitic vile about him, that's NOT remotely okay.

b295eae67322e846e6a24fa25af4164ff84c9ee8

And, we're's done!  Right?!  Okay, cool!  Thanks, everyone.  Have a great weeknnnnn -- 

All right, fuck, let's do this.  

HnimNLN.gif

(obligatory gif, omg he's so damn pretty, how are you so damn pretty)

ETERNALS OPENING WEEKEND

is upon on, and it clearly is not going how I’ve imagined it going in my head for the past year (or three).  This really shouldn’t shock me.  It’s 2021.  Everything is never ending battle against life's dumpster fire that burns on disappointment, disengagement, and dread.  Of course the one film that's been keeping me going for three years is going to botch its landing.  Why would I expect any differently?

tumblr_p4z3s7kkEE1qk37lyo7_540.gifv

cgj5jo.gif

And as I drafted this thread at least ten times this week, game played out every Nexus Level variation, and gone through the five stages of grief at least four times, I realized we're about to enter a bunch of no-win scenarios for everyone involved:

1.gif

SCENARIO 1: This movie's actually a flaming bag of dog do-do.  Then everyone's who's been hating on Marvel for all these years will smell blood in the water, and spend the next weekend/month dancing on Kevin's grave.  Here you go, I even linked the meme template for everyone.  

4.gif

SCENARIO 2: The movie will not stay above the random magic number we've assigned it in our heads to prevent a nuclear meltdown of doom posting.  Is the Marvel Cinematic Universe Dead?  Is Cinema Dead? (Sorry, I mean, are movie theaters dead because we all know the MCU isn't cinema.)  Should we just shut the board down and start writing our Think Pieces TM before rigor mortis sets in?

3.gif

SCENARIO 3: This movie's actually fantastic, the reviewers are lying liars who were bought by WB to say Bad Things TM about Disney, and we get to have a whole weekend discussion about how Film Criticism Is Dead, and Rotten Tomatoes is Bad TM, and Do CinemaScores Even Matter?      

4.gif

The conclusion that I've come to:

(obligatory post of JUDY cause JUUUUDY)

We we just not?  Please.  Please.  

Because the most likely scenario is:

6.gif

SCENARIO 4: It makes a totally respectable but underwhelming $70-$80 million, since that's what Shang Chi and Black Widow did.  Maybe that's just the new Marvel numbers post-pandemic/reopening until the market fully stabilizes.  Yes, we have films coming out more, and we have vaccines, but let's not pretend we're 100% back to where we were in 2019.  Maybe because it's two hours and forty minutes (omg WHY!!! :jeff goldblum face:) we're not get a big number since the theaters don't have the staff to schedule 2AM showings.

Some people are going to like the film, and some are going to not.  Film is subjective, and people respond to things differently based on their aesthetics and lived life experiences.  Just because you think something is quote/unquote "wrong", doesn't mean you're quote/unquote "right".  Not with art.

Chloe's going off to do her Dracula for Universal, and Kevin and Nate need to focus on getting Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, and Captain America 4 finished.  So when it's finally time to do Eternals 2 in 2024/2025, most of this will all have blown over, and they'll have workshopped through whatever issues held back this film.  I mean, they did two Thor movies before a total reboot.  I highly doubt this is last we've seen of these characters.  (Kingo Mock Reality TV Series for Disney+ NOW!!!)

1.gif

TL;DR:

If I can keep my emotion in check this weekend, so can everyone else.  (And trust and believe, just like Mariah and Carly Rae, I am full of EMOTIONS.)

PLEASE remember the rules: No Spoilers, Report Issues to the Mod/Don't Feed The Trolls, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS, Don't Be A Dick. 

And if that's not enough, please keep in mind: you can start whatever you want this weekend, but I will finish it.  And just like the Hulk, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

1.gif

THIS THREAD WILL REMAIN LOCKED

UNTIL WE HAVE A HARD NUMBER/FRIDAY DEADLINE UPDATE.

In the Meantime, we have:

THE ETERNALS SPOILERS THREAD
THE ETERNALS THREAD
ETERNALS REVIEW THE MOVIE (Unlocks at 6PM EST tonight)

here we go batman GIF

(obligatory gif #3)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 4

One last thing to promote before the previews come tomorrow and suck up all the attention. Just as a reminder to everybody that the Scorsese countdown is still up and running and is hungry for more submissions. I only have 7 so far, so you still have plenty of power to change the overall countdown. I'm hoping to get plenty more in the next few weeks, and while you have until the 28th to submit, there's no reason not to send something in this weekend. Read below for more details :)

• Like 3

https://deadline.com/2021/11/eternals-opening-weekend-box-office-1234868870/

Disney’s Marvels Eternals based on the 1976 Jack Kirby characters struck up $9.5M on Thursday from previews that began at 6PM, the third best preview night of the pandemic behind Disney/Marvel’s Black Widow in early July ($13.2M from showtimes that began at 5pm) and Sony’s Venom: Let There Be Carnage ($11.6M from 4pm).

• Like 2

Hmmmm, def not going to have the Sunday hold of Shang Chi due to the holiday but given that more people are back at school and the long ass runtime, having bigger previews isn't bad. It'll probably do about 75m, right around Shang Chi numbers. Not bad considering the lack of obvious "hook" (it's just another team to non diehards) and the much, much worse reviews. 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 6

$9.5m, within range but slightly under some of what the tracking thread suggested. 

Still third biggest of the year. I don’t think an opening in the 70’s is very good for this, though. 

It’ll be interesting if it falls in the exact same $75-80m range as Black Widow and Shang-Chi. Although SC was inflated by a holiday and BW had disney+/piracy. 

Eternals: I liked it a lot and thought it moved at really good pace. Not boring. So WOM should be good. The crowd in my theater laughed at all the right places so I'd say it played well. I definitely recommend it. The theater was about 70% full but nothing to worry about for we pick that one due to slow business to keep distance. It never sells out anything. 

Trailers: NWH, Matrix, WSS, Encanto, Morbius. Only Morbius was met with chatter. 

Edited by Valonqar

Yikes. I overestimated MCU previews again( I thought 9.1m for SC and 13.5m for BW). I think they tend to over index at MTC for sure. I guess SC crushed Eternals in Canada but that alone cannot make such a big difference. 

So it could go something like

72m OW

I think somewhat mixed WOM will have an impact to internal multiplier. 

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

I loved the movie but obviously it isn't doing good at box office. 

Anyways, I have made peace with that now and hoping that we get to somehow see the continuation of Eternals saga one way or another. Maybe a D+ series. 

it isn’t? Looks like it’s opened well everywhere to me! 

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2021/11/eternals-opening-weekend-international-box-office-disney-marvel-1234867961/

FRIDAY UPDATE, Refresh for latest…: After beginning overseas rollout on Wednesday (see below), Disney/Marvel’s Eternals moved into a further 25 markets on Thursday and lifted its cume to $19.8M in 39 total. The first two days of play put the Chloé Zhao-directed super-gods pic at an estimated 117% above Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings and 19% above Black Widow on a like-for-like basis.

Key new markets on Thursday included Mexico which opened to a No. 1 $1.3M (including previews). This was good for a 69% share and came in 110% over Shang-Chi, while 20% below Black Widow. Australia, which is finally getting going again, also debuted Eternals at No. 1 with $1.1M (223% above Shang-Chi) to score the fourth highest opening day during the pandemic era.

Brazil likewise scored a No. 1 start, with $1M (including previews) for an 82% market share and the highest opening day of the health crisis. It came in 78% above Shang-Chi and 55% over Black Widow. On Thursday, similar pandemic-era bests were seen in Argentina, Malaysia, Singapore, Central America, Peru and Uruguay. 

Korea remains the lead international box office market with $6.14M through Friday (of that, today’s $2M haul is not included in the through-Thursday cume above).

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Yikes. I overestimated MCU previews again( I thought 9.1m for SC and 13.5m for BW). I think they tend to over index at MTC for sure. I guess SC crushed Eternals in Canada but that alone cannot make such a big difference. 

72m OW

Sat bump is going much higher than that. Yes WOM is mixed but so was Venom 2. It's not super toxic WOM to tank the Saturday that much.

37 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

72m OW

Sat only jump 15% from Fri and Sun drop more than 30%?  @.@