Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

I try to resist making more aggressive fanboy posts for my beloved MCU because I don’t reject the criticisms. 

MCU movies do vary in quality. Popularity only proves popularity. 
Third act CGI battles can get pretty old. 

Still, the MCU’s gonna die or they ruin art posts are so overwrought, it makes me want to defend sky beams as super awesome. 

2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Considering all the production problems going on right now , this is easy to deduce. 

DS2 has some problems and it's pretty well known even outside of Grace as source

Thor 4 could go either way 

BP2 has to overcome literally many problems and hurdles

The Marvels won't have Avengers cushion+ Ms. Marvel changes are going to cause many controversy. 

Bloody hell. This? In 2021? 

Unplug yourself from internet fanboy "news" people. 

I don't know if your young or anything but Marvel fear-mongering used to be a common issue before these films. It's clickbait for panicky fanboys. These films get workshopped, re-edited, and reshot to death. It's not a big deal. Calm down.

Also nobody outside fanboys knows or cares about any rumours regarding these films at all. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Marvel is not invincible anymore. First major blow to MCU brand. From next time Audience won't go to see movie in theatre just because it's MCU. B is horrible cinemascore for MCU. 

It isn't going to be easy ride for MCU from here onwards. Spider-Man will be saved due to nostalgia but DS2 , Thor 4 , BP2 and The Marvels all will have to overcome major hurdles. 

24 minutes ago, juanwood2000 said:

Marvel as a brand is screwed now. Cant see it recovering from this, the future looks grim (and no I am not being sarcastic)

DownrightHideousJumpingbean-size_restric

• Haha 8

Some people are definitely bookmarking some of these posts for later use!

I will say, the rather hyperbolic "This is the end of the MCU" posts are no doubt bringing down the buzz for those who are just trying to get the most joy out of the MCU's first critical failure. Think how hard the past decade has been for them and let them have this!

(Personally, I think a slate of films over the next year that consists of sequels to films that collectively earned over $3 billion means the MCU is... probably going to do OK.) 

• Haha 6

Pretty good numbers overall for Eternals considering how unknown this property was, but the combination of weak reviews and WOM looking to be highly divisive means it's likely going to drop like a rock starting next week. Oh well, their streak of certified wins was going to end at some point.

The MCU moving from delivering 2-3 movies a year to 4 movies and 4 D+ shows (or 5, if we're counting What If?) is definitely approaching "quantity over quality" levels where some of these projects are bound to disappoint, even if some of these would've been out last year in an alternate universe. While watching The Falcon & the Winter Soldier earlier this year I often felt it would've worked better had it been a movie instead of a miniseries. Given some of the complaints aimed at Eternals, perhaps that would've been better off as the TV show and Falcon as the 157 minute movie (it almost certainly would've made more at the box office than this will given everyone's familiarity with the characters through the previous MCU movies).

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

Will James Bond ever recover from this misstep?

Game_341.png

Will Star Wars ever be the same after this disaster?

folder2.jpg?w=700

People overestimate how much audiences really dislike "bad" movies. Almost every franchise that came back after a bad entry, or a sequence of bad entries, managed to recover just fine and even become bigger at the box office. Fast & Furious, X-Men, Halloween, your examples (Bond, Star Wars) and many more. Truth is general audiences have basic taste and are not that hard to please. Even Halle Berry's Catwoman there's people who are nostalgic for it.

• Like 4

These hot takes about the MCU's demise come from the usual "always wrong artists" on this forum. Nothing new there. Like I said in another thread, the MCU right now is Apple in 2011. Doom and gloom, but the best days are ahead not behind.  

Edited by VenomXXR