Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

5 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Well there are people who looked at Sony and said "They are out of their element.. give the rights to Marvel"  even after Venom did over $800M.  

There's a lot of opinions out there on many films.. not just MCU ones.

TBF, Sony had a fair share of missteps with Spider-man. 

And people want Spider-man with the MCU for the same reasons it makes sense for Flash or Superman to part of the DCEU.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, James said:

I don't understand how everyone is so sure Eternals will have no competition this month. Am I the only one seeing both House of Gucci and Ghostbusters over 100m DOM? 

Yes. Ghostbusters maybe, and if it were 2019. MAYBE House of Gucci wood get there. but I think it will be more likely to do under $50m than over $100m, with today's Box Office climate. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, James said:

I don't understand how everyone is so sure Eternals will have no competition this month. Am I the only one seeing both House of Gucci and Ghostbusters over 100m DOM? 

Has any non-franchise movie crossed 100 m during the pandemic?

Just now, James said:

Ghostbusters should be pretty much locked for $100M (unless people just don't show up) but anything above $50M for House of Gucci in this unsure climate for 35-&-older-aimed movies would have to be considered a win.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh he was the first to say “DCEU”.

(Resisting the urge to point out that ****** ***** 3 is in development and ******** 2 won’t be)

Boy, it sure is a good thing you resisted the urge to say that, because it would look pretty foolish after “******** 2” comes out

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, James said:

Yes. Gucci will go under 50. Could go under 25 tbh. 

2 minutes ago, Eternal Legion said:

Boy, it sure is a good thing you resisted the urge to say that, because it would look pretty foolish after “******** 2” comes out

******** 2 even producers don't think it's happening. I think it's likely to be D+ series than a movie. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eternal Legion said:

Yes. Gucci will go under 50. Could go under 25 tbh. 

Gaga stans alone should automatically assure it won't go below $25M lol (even if it's obvious they won't be coming out in full force for this like they did for A Star Is Born, a project that was always much more in her wheelhouse).

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

NWH will make a ton of money but there is still a pandemic going on, maybe NWH will show the ceiling post-covid but we don't know how high it is. $500M+ DOM?! I don't think so.

If the UK or China is anything to go by, all time records are in reach during this phase of the pandemic for the right movie. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

Maybe not make too long-term conclusions out of this. Maybe Eternals just didn't work as a movie but it shouldn't mean that you can't have hugely successful wildly different kind of MCU movies. Without seeing it yet, it seems that Eternals tried to do too many things at the same time while trying to be different. It's a shame if it makes Disney & Marvel more cautious trying again to do something different. Just make is work as a story and characters.

And looks like Eternals is going to be successful when adjusting into pre-pandemic numbers at least (domestic OW being suppressed 10-15%  due to the pandemic still and legs even more?). If you were locked with 100+ OW expectations, sure, it'll sting. But yeah, looks a bit crazy the meltdown over one movie underperforming from huge expectations in an amazingly successful franchise.

People take the Marvel "formula" completely for granted.

MCU is successful because people know what to expect.

You wouldn't loyally drink coke or pepsi if it tasted like sparkling water every other time you bought it.

It would make more sense to revamp Marvel and re-invent the wheel after audiences rejected the Marvel formula but that hasn't happened yet.

Film school experimentation when people want their formula fix is just going to alienate audiences.

I mean something like Joker was widly successful but they had to separate that from the DCEU completely. 

It wouldn't work in the same universe as Shazam and Aquaman. 

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

If the UK or China is anything to go by, all time records are in reach during this phase of the pandemic for the right movie. 

More polarized here. Tons are still terrified. Others are actively trying to get covid by acting like idiots