Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

3 minutes ago, Eternal Legion said:

My off the cuff, not much thought remark from last weekend thread:

More serious analysis:

Duel — 11

dispatch — 14

Soho — 15 

Halloween —  93  

Can Richard+Gucci go below 63M? Sure, why not. Maybe we can throw Spencer in too. We haven’t seen this kind of movie attract the GA to cinemas yet and I’m not betting on it until it happens.

Last Night in Soho is looking at a drop of around 60% this weekend and will quickly be dropped from theaters starting next weekend. It'll be lucky to reach $10M at this point, let alone $15M.

11 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

Fair points and definitely affect a lot.

Still like that Joker or Logan, I think there is room for experimentation as long as the movie is good storytelling wise and characters work. I'm not buying that Eternals "rotten" state is mostly or mainly due to not corresponding the expectation of a MCU movie even though it is a factor to certain extent.

People time to time crave novelty and something fresh. But I agree that there is a certain MCU success formula like you described that they should rely on for the unforeseeable future and try to mainly find that novelty inside those parameters. As you said the experimentations could happen more separately from the MCU itself.

Also wondering how much importance does that formula have for the GA. I'd assume that they have more room to move in than the fandom on the issue.

Thing is Eternals isn't film school experimentation. It has some narrative and stylistic differences from other MCU films but it's still very much going for the fun entertaining superhero film like any other MCU. I don't think that can explain the poor reactions.

1 minute ago, VenomXXR said:

I don't think Eternals will miss $70M but it's definitely falling off..

$30.7M FF
$24.5M Sat
$15.8M Sun

$71M 

Just now, CJohn said:

Eternals will miss 70M with that True Friday number imo.

The duality of man.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I honestly don’t know if this was a spoiler or reported before so to be safe:

Spoiler

It would be hysterical if Marvel’s first movie with a sex scene made 69M OW.  That is clearly the new goal post.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2

1 minute ago, Cap said:

Hide contents

It would be hysterical if Marvel’s first movie with a sex scene made 69M OW.  That is clearly the new goal post.  

Spoiler

Marvel's first movie with a sex scene made 98 million OW though. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

People here are underestimating House of Gucci's potential. 

I'm easily seeing it clear $30m OW and will hit $100m.

The potential is there. Question is will older audiences venture into the theaters

Edited by Maggie

19 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Oh believe me, that's definitely the case here in blighty too. But we drop everything for a bond movie. Maybe that'll happen for spidey or something else. Who knows.

lol indeed. I miss the UK terribly. 

9 minutes ago, Menor said:

Thing is Eternals isn't film school experimentation. It has some narrative and stylistic differences from other MCU films but it's still very much going for the fun entertaining superhero film like any other MCU. I don't think that can explain the poor reactions.

it could be that most people just didn't love it.  There doesn't have to be another reason lol.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, James said:

Plus on the Gucci discussion, I don't think it will skew as old as people think. Gaga and Driver (post SW) have their younger fans. Imo, I think it will go like The Great Gatsby, similar somptuos drama with over 30% of the OW audience under 25.

So, I compare this one to the Many Saints of Newark with the following positives...

Pros

Bigger stars

No "baggage" of people feeling like they had to do X or like X before seeing this movie

Fashion

Holiday weekend

So, it's gonna open over $4.6M...probably a lot over...but I struggle to see this one going "big big" with Encanto and Ghostbusters around taking the blockbuster and "whatever women are attending" audiences...over $100M total DOM seems like quite a reach...

I also struggle with Adam Driver in the movie - while I am convinced Gaga is not Gaga (although I'm not convinced I'll love her speaking style/accent for the role), I see Adam Driver in the trailers and see Adam Driver not his role...maybe he's better in the movie than the trailers, but maybe not...

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Last Night in Soho is looking at a drop of around 60% this weekend and will quickly be dropped from theaters starting next weekend. It'll be lucky to reach $10M at this point, let alone $15M.

Oh, I did a mental math error, should have been 13. It will be at 7.7M off a 3.6 week so that is only around 40% drops — I don’t think it will get squeezed  too much by Clifford. Maybe 11 or 12 but certainly not sub 10, not luck required.

I remember at the start of 2020, there was a lot of expectation that the top 5 movies of the year would all be directed by women and it would be a moment of change in Hollywood. The 5 movies were:

- Birds of Prey

- Mulan

- Black Widow

- WW84

- Eternals

In a different way, these 5 movies may actually end up doing more for equality in Hollywood, they will show that women can direct bad movies just as much as men and still get chances to direct future big movies as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Meanwhile, Last Night in Soho is having a HORRIBLE drop :gold:

It had bad advance screen negotiation (aka, it didn't lock 2 weeks of showings) - one of my Cinemarks had dropped it and another put it on a single showing for weekend #2...so, it was kinda like the other bad drops - a bad drop from getting dropped vs getting totally ignored (although that already happened weekend #1)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

17 minutes ago, Cap said:

Hide contents

People keep saying this but it happened in the first like 15 minutes of Iron Man

• Like 4