Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I remember at the start of 2020, there was a lot of expectation that the top 5 movies of the year would all be directed by women and it would be a moment of change in Hollywood. The 5 movies were:

- Birds of Prey

- Mulan

- Black Widow

- WW84

- Eternals

In a different way, these 5 movies may actually end up doing more for equality in Hollywood, they will show that women can direct bad movies just as much as men and still get chances to direct future big movies as well.

if not an outright bad group of movies.. certainly a very disappointing list. 

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It had bad advance screen negotiation (aka, it didn't lock 2 weeks of showings) - one of my Cinemarks had dropped it and another put it on a single showing for weekend #2...so, it was kinda like the other bad drops - a bad drop from getting dropped vs getting totally ignored (although that already happened weekend #1)...

A lot of theaters aren't even showing it during the afternoon this weekend and reserving it exclusively for night.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I remember at the start of 2020, there was a lot of expectation that the top 5 movies of the year would all be directed by women and it would be a moment of change in Hollywood. The 5 movies were:

- Birds of Prey

- Mulan

- Black Widow

- WW84

- Eternals

In a different way, these 5 movies may actually end up doing more for equality in Hollywood, they will show that women can direct bad movies just as much as men and still get chances to direct future big movies as well.

Quality aside, I will always maintain WW84 gets to borderline $1B in a non-COVID world. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Cap said:

I honestly don’t know if this was a spoiler or reported before so to be safe:

Hide contents

It would be hysterical if Marvel’s first movie with a sex scene made 69M OW.  That is clearly the new goal post.  

On 11/4/2021 at 9:16 AM, Cap said:

ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS.

NOT EVEN SPOILERS POSTED UNDER SPOILER TAGS. 

POSTING SPOILERS WILL BE AN AUTOMATIC THREAD BAN FOR THE WEEKEND: NO WARNING, NO RETURN

frye-stare.gif

You're trying to get yourself banned from this thread so you can take the rest of the weekend off, aren't you?

robert-de-niro-watching-you.gif'

I'm on to you.....

• Haha 6
  • Astonished 1

Eternals unseen by me Birds of Prey def the best movie there i liked it a lot. Cathy Yan's first movie just got released this year on Mubi and it rules. just directed the best episode of this season of Succession so far. she's got the goods. hope she thrives.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Eternals unseen by me Birds of Prey def the best movie there i liked it a lot. Cathy Yan's first movie just got released this year on Mubi and it rules. just directed the best episode of this season of Succession so far. she's got the goods. hope she thrives.

speaking of Succession - utterly sensational show.  I’m just about to begin season 3 (have smashed through the first two in the past week).  Brilliant. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Quality aside, I will always maintain WW84 gets to borderline $1B in a non-COVID world. 

I agree with you actually. 850+ at the very least. Too much Goodwill from the first movie, and lack of videos on Twitter. Maybe even better reviews when people watch it in IMAX.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

You're trying to get yourself banned from this thread so you can take the rest of the weekend off, aren't you?

FIIIIINE, you caught me. I am banning myself for spoilers. 

The Simpsons Burn Bridge GIF

• Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

I agree with you actually. 850+ at the very least. Too much Goodwill from the first movie, and lack of videos on Twitter. Maybe even better reviews when people watch it in IMAX.

Agreed. Watched it in IMAX, it was incredible. My wife usually hates superhero films but said WW84 was the best movie she ever watched in theaters.

Experience vastly differs when people watch a movie on their tablet / TV versus the big screen. For example - Dune; many whom I spoke to who hated it are the same people who pirated it..

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, grim22 said:

- Birds of Prey

- Mulan

- Black Widow

- WW84

- Eternals

Birds of Prey is perfect. I don't care what people say lol. Maybe it should have been a Gotham City Sirens movie but it's still a delight and actually experimented with what a comic book film is expected to be like. OTOH Eternals simply reduced the number of quips in an MCU film and is touted to "deviate from the MCU formula?" 💀

Florence Pugh saved Black Widow from complete mediocrity I think. My main issue with that film is it came too late when it should have been a Phase 2 or early Phase 3 movie instead. But that's majorly on Ike, not Feige.

• Haha 1

So opening higher than Shang-Chi is bad? was anyone expecting $100m+ opening after those reviews? it's still opening to $70m+ with negative reviews. people are such alarmists. 

• Like 1

I am really baffled by Eternals reaction. It has some problems but it is way better than many MCU movies and I say that as an MCU fan. 

The movie has some authencity to it that many lacked. I guess I am in minority this time. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I am really baffled by Eternals reaction. It has some problems but it is way better than many MCU movies and I say that as an MCU fan. 

The movie has some authencity to it that many lacked. I guess I am in minority this time. 

I agree. Another baffling thing is that it doesn't really deviate from the MCU formula quite a lot. It just FEELS different, due to a variety of reasons. 

Divided reactions are understandable, but it is in no way as bad as it is being made out to be. It's not bad at all, lol.

• Like 1

Just now, akshay5 said:

I agree. Another baffling thing is that it doesn't really deviate from the MCU formula quite a lot. It just FEELS different, due to a variety of reasons. 

Divided reactions are understandable, but it is in no way as bad as it is being made out to be. It's not bad at all, lol.

Ikr I went with such low expectations because of reviews and I blame myself for that.

Yes, it has some problems but so does many MCU movies but this getting panned doesn't make sense. 

VFX were top-notch and everything was so well realised.