Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

Absolutely..  Jared Leto is going to be awesome in Morbius thats my feeling 

I was quite shocked how they managed to make a good trailer for it. I really thought the movie was going to be a trainwreck and be buried by Sony. Maybe it still will be but its becoming a lot less likely now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Spencer is gonna have toxic WOM with the GA. I saw it today and it is as far from a mainstream product as it could have been.

Whaaat you mean that "Royal family as a horror/ghost story" isn't going to play with the mainstream 

Though there's enough of a Kstew base for a relative decent OW

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

the trailer was the only one that got a reaction in my theater. maybe the audience of tired of old NWH and Matrix trailers so there were crickets but Morbius went over really well. 

People are underestimating that film, it's literally the only major film in January. 

6 hours ago, AJG said:

Will James Bond ever recover from this misstep?

Game_341.png

Will Star Wars ever be the same after this disaster?

folder2.jpg?w=700

5 hours ago, AJG said:

So to wrap up

1. Gr*** R*****ph and her followers should be arrested for what they've done to fandom.

2. Attack of the Clones is one of the worst blockbusters ever made.

The Phantom Menace is worse.  And I can't believe I'm saying this, but the prequels(episodes 2 and 3 at least) have more of a vision behind them than any of the Disney films.  Don't get me wrong, they're really terrible movies but they don't feel like corporate box ticking committee dreck.  You can see what the prequels were going for(grand epic forbidden love story and shakespearean tragedy) even though they were written and directed terribly.  None of the new movies are about anything other than fan service and nostalgia.  When I heard they were bringing Palpatine back for TROS, that was it for me lol.

3 hours ago, Noctis said:

People here are underestimating House of Gucci's potential. 

I'm easily seeing it clear $30m OW and will hit $100m.

If reviews are good I think it could easily be breakout hit.  I love Ridley Scott, but its always a coin flip with him when it comes to the screenplays he takes on.  Only the Riddler will green light something as dumb and lifeless as Exodus and then turn around and make The Martian and The Last Duel.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

The Phantom Menace is worse.  And I can't believe I'm saying this, but the prequels(episodes 2 and 3 at least) have more of a vision behind them than any of the Disney films.  Don't get me wrong, they're really terrible movies but they don't feel like corporate box ticking committee dreck.  You can see what the prequels were going for(grand epic forbidden love story and shakespearean tragedy) even though they were written and directed terribly.  None of the new movies are about anything other than fan service and nostalgia.  When I heard they were bringing Palpatine back for TROS, that was it for me lol.

All of this! :bravo: That's why I love the Prequels. I acknowledge problems but there's just so much vision, ideas, world building that I can't get enough of. I'd also put first 3 POTC movies aka the Verbinski trilogy in the "much more visionary and inventive than what passes for quality entertainment these days" category. Once upon a time Disney didn't make only cookie cutter franchises. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

To be fair the prequels had no shortage of nostalgia bait either. Hell people hated Last Jedi specifically because it was anti-nostalgia.

Not even close to the same amount. Including TLJ, every single one of the sequels is utterly drenched in OT iconography and references. It's like they didn't even try to differentiate the eras. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Madhuvan said:
7 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Considering all the production problems going on right now , this is easy to deduce. 

DS2 has some problems and it's pretty well known even outside of Grace as source

Thor 4 could go either way 

BP2 has to overcome literally many problems and hurdles

The Marvels won't have Avengers cushion+ Ms. Marvel changes are going to cause many controversy

people don't comment but "DS2" is undergoing reshots, and "Spider NWH" has had some reshots as well. 

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

To be fair the prequels had no shortage of nostalgia bait either. Hell people hated Last Jedi specifically because it was anti-nostalgia.

while it isn't my quote, I think that Prequels didn't build the story around fan service. There were side things that were shoehorned such as 3PO and R2, Chewie, Yoda with the lightsaber and the biggest one being Jango/Boba Fett cone thing. But if fans had their way, TP would have been Jedi in their prime instead of corrupt lazy Ikea sofa-seated politicians, and they certainly wouldn't be celibate monks or whatever they are, and there wouldn't be midichlorians and Space Jesus and tons of other stuff. I mean, the first movie chose to tell a story about trade wars for crying out loud, definitely not something you'd find on any fan service wish list. Anakin's fall was very much because of forbidden love and Jedi being massive dicks to him, so again, not exactly what a typical fanboy hoped to see from Vader. Etc.

OTOH, ST just copied OT and even TLJ stayed with ESB structure and beats which may be subverted but were still the same familiar beats. ST's only chance to break away from OT came at the end of TLJ when the movie cleaned the plate yet the studio was so terrified, and JJ certainly wasn't up to creating anything other an imitation, they immediately reverted to ROTJ knock-off even though TLJ ending gave them an option to go in totally different direction. And nobody asked for the return of Palpatine not even fans rebuking TLJ for being anti-nostalgia. Retconning Anakin's achievement has always been a big no-no. Funny that fan service extraordinaire JJ didn't understand that much. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, babz06 said:

People are underestimating that film, it's literally the only major film in January. 

42 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Agreed. It's super catchy and entertaining. 

Scream opens in January too, thank you very much ;) 

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I mean, the first movie chose to tell a story about trade wars for crying out loud, definitely not something you'd find on any fan service wish list. 

No it didn't. I don't understand where this idea has come from. The trade stuff takes up like 2 minutes total in the movie and is just a pretext for the invasion. It's like saying Shang-Chi is a movie about valet parking. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Rotten Tomatoes is “4 out of 5 dentists prefer Crest” applied to movies. People take it as gospel when it’s just an aggregate of whether critics and media personalities “liked” a movie or not. What does “liked” mean? 🤷‍♂️ It’s up to them. Is your definition of “liked” the same as theirs? 🤷‍♂️

Totally agree with you, @wildphantom.

Rotten Tomatoes is overrated in pop culture, this is due to the Marvel and DC fan war that started in 2016 with "Civil War vs. BvS", Some people use Rotten as an argument to validate their point of view.

Edited by poncho
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, poncho said:

Rotten Tomatoes is overrated in pop culture, this is due to the Marvel and DC fan war that started in 2016 with "Civil War vs. BvS", Some people use Rotten as an argument to validate their point of view.

Sure, but the wars existed well before the last ten years of Marvel/DC brouhaha; the franchises have just changed. 

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

No it didn't. I don't understand where this idea has come from. The trade stuff takes up like 2 minutes total in the movie and is just a pretext for the invasion. It's like saying Shang-Chi is a movie about valet parking. 

Shang-chi is about valet parking, what are you talking about? ;)

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Scream opens in January too, thank you very much ;) 

So Morbius vs Scream then.