Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

23 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

None of the new movies are about anything other than fan service and nostalgia.

They were fan service and nostalgia as much as offering poison from a Star Wars branded cup. Unless you call stabbing Han Solo with a lightsabre through the heart by his own son, making Leia a space flying witch and Luke as a bitter old man milking alien tits all day long while cursing the jedi as fan service and nostalgia, then yeah, it was full of that. What an amazing fan service those movies were.

The only goddamn fan service and nostalgia they needed to deliver in those three movies was to have a reunion of those three in the same freaking scene. Was that too much to ask!? After that they could have thrown them into the meat grinder and bring on the ewokes 2.0 to take it from there and that would have been perfectly fine...but no.

Agreed on the point about prequels. The idea and story arc was there (at least most parts) which Lucas brought to the table. Unfortunately he didn't have the right people to compliment his vision to distil it for the big screen. Still, a couple of Kessel runs ahead of the crab we got now.

It's a heraclean effort what Jon Favreau delivered at the end of Mandalorian season 2 when he showed us a glimpse of the true Luke. A moment of hope in the darkest hours of Star Wars.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

They were fan service and nostalgia as much as offering poison from a Star Wars branded cup. Unless you call stabbing Han Solo with a lightsabre through the heart by his own son, making Leia a space flying witch and Luke as a bitter old man milking alien tits all day long while cursing the jedi as fan service and nostalgia, then yeah, it was full of that. What an amazing fan service those movies were.

The only goddamn fan service and nostalgia they needed to deliver in those three movies was to have a reunion of those three in the same freaking scene. Was that too much to ask!? After that they could have thrown them into the meat grinder and bring on the ewokes 2.0 to take it from there and that would have been perfectly fine...but no.

Agreed on the point about prequels. The idea and story arc was there (at least most parts) which Lucas brought to the table. Unfortunately he didn't have the right people to compliment his vision to distil it for the big screen. Still, a couple of Kessel runs ahead of the crab we got now.

It's a heraclean effort what Jon Favreau delivered at the end of Mandalorian season 2 when he showed us a glimpse of the true Luke. A moment of hope in the darkest hours of Star Wars.

On the flip side, SW in general made me peace out from the whole franchise and I have no particular interest in diving into any of it (especially due to the Favreau stuff in Mando.)

Different folks, different strokes. 

• ...wtf 1

5 hours ago, grey ghost said:
5 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Exactly.

People are actiing like 70m OW is a flop because they drank the 100+m OW kool aid.

Why would a ponderous movie with D-list superheroes open higher than Venom 2?

Marvel has always had high box office with its heroes D-List

Guardians of the Galaxy

Ant-Man

Captain Marvel

Strange

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Menor said:

Not even close to the same amount. Including TLJ, every single one of the sequels is utterly drenched in OT iconography and references. It's like they didn't even try to differentiate the eras. 

Aircraft carrier 1982

1280px-USS_Carl_Vinson_(CVN-70)_underway

Aircraft carrier 2017

1920px-USS_Gerald_R._Ford_(CVN-78)_under

US Military uniforms used for 60 years:

1280px-US_Army_Green_Berets_DF-SD-02-029

OT and the sequel trilogy had 30 years in between, a collapsed Empire, in total disarray. I guess designers would have been busy to create new uniforms and styles like the US army in the pics above. They change so much in such a short time.

( @Eric loves Ajak saw your message afterwards...copy that, and sorry for getting out of hand. Not continuing SW stuff here)

Edited by von Kenni

4 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

Aircraft carrier 1982

1280px-USS_Carl_Vinson_(CVN-70)_underway

Aircraft carrier 2017

1920px-USS_Gerald_R._Ford_(CVN-78)_under

US Military uniforms used for 60 years:

1280px-US_Army_Green_Berets_DF-SD-02-029

OT and the sequel trilogy had 30 years in between, a collapsed Empire, in total disarray. I guess designers would have been busy to create new uniforms and styles like the US army in the pics above. They change so much in such a short time.

It cuts both ways, though, it’s goofy as hell that after the fall of the Republic, the Jedi are these hazily-remembered mystical warriors when the Empire itself only lasts a couple of decades. I remember the 90s very well. :lol: 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, poncho said:

Guardians of the Galaxy

Ant-Man

Captain Marvel

Strange

And unsurprisingly they did it again, 2 movies opening with 75M OW or so during a pandemic despite being D List characters.

9 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

It cuts both ways, though, it’s goofy as hell that after the fall of the Republic, the Jedi are these hazily-remembered mystical warriors when the Empire itself only lasts a couple of decades. I remember the 90s very well. :lol: 

Truth be told how many people would have even run into a Jedi even prior to the purge. The number of planets there are and the population vs the number of active Jedi, I am sure most of the folks already thought they were some semi-mythical creatures. 

5 hours ago, grim22 said:

I agree with you actually. 850+ at the very least. Too much Goodwill from the first movie, and lack of videos on Twitter. Maybe even better reviews when people watch it in IMAX.

with those reviews? Nah I liked it but it was like 6.5 of 10. First was 9/10

1 hour ago, poncho said:

Guardians of the Galaxy

Ant-Man

Captain Marvel

Strange

Yeah those heroes are way more likeable and recognizable than Kingo and Gilgamesh.

And try having a slow and ponderous Ant-Man movie that makes 70m OW during a pandemic.

The first one couldn't even make 60m OW.

Edited by grey ghost

NOVEMBER 5-7:

1. "Eternals" - 71.8

2. "Dune" - 6.7 / 83.0

3. "No Time to Die" - 6.0 / 143.0

4. "Venom 2" - 3.9 / 196.4

5. "Ron's Gone Wrong" - 3.1 / 17.1

6. "The French Dispatch" - 2.5 / 8.3

7. "Annaatthe" - 2.2

8. "Halloween Kills" - 2.1 / 89.5

9. "Antlers" - 1.9 / 7.6

10. "Spencer" - 1.8

11. "Last Night in Soho" - 1.8 / 7.6

12. "My Hero Academia" - 1.4 / 9.6

by the way, this idea that it’s the fans that have pushed RT to where it’s at in the culture? I don’t think so at all.

We now live in a world where print media largely exist on clickbait online articles to make money. They prey on anything that has a base of fandom. 
This goes hand in hand with YouTubers etc who get views, for talking about anything to do with the same stuff. 

It’s all one big money making machine that profits out of empty talk over nothing. 
A RT score for a pending big fan movie is a golden goose for clickbait and youtubers, ESPECIALLY if it’s mixed to negative. 

It’s also a golden goose for the numerous ‘critics’ who get their reviews posted on there if they can run a Wordpress site with a few pieces. 

That’s how it’s become a big thing. It’s inescapable, and those that dutifully click and read/watch it are bound to then think it’s important. 

An RT score is now ‘news’. 

There’s still good film criticism out there, but the masses are now suckered into the scores, like it’s a sport.  They don’t even read the reviews.  

Film criticism has become a commodity, and people are seemingly blind to it. 

Fandom has become the opposite to what it used to be in so many ways, because of the culture that feeds off riling them up.  Can you even imagine how much money will be generated over discussing Eternals from broadsheet online side-arms this week who couldn’t care less about the film. 

Editor “I want articles on the box office, the end credits, the fans reaction, the critical scores. I want articles on what a star of the movie might have said on twitter. Anything you can get me! Put them up online and let’s watch the hits roll in” $$$

I’m going to see the movie tomorrow morning. I’m a fan of the MCU. I think they’ve made a few great films. A few good ones. A few mediocre ones. A few I don’t really care for. 

Whatever I think of it, I won’t fall for getting into a huge debate about it because modern ‘it can only be good or bad’ culture tells me to. 

I think this one is going to be one of the painful ones guys. Justice League, BvS, Fantastic Beasts, those space prequel/sequels. It’s going to be on that level in terms of endless ‘MCU in trouble’ discourse.  The media, both social and print, cannot wait to make a boatload of money out of you all. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Yeah those heroes are way more likeable and recognizable than Kingo and Gilgamesh.

And try having a slow and ponderous Ant-Man movie that makes 70m OW during a pandemic.

The first one couldn't even make 60m OW.

To be fair; this is post End Game and the MCU brand is stronger than before. 

We also have Angelina Jolie’s debut in the MCU.

I am not sure actually how many MCU fans worldwide are comic book readers? Like I don’t think there is a huge difference in terms of “recognisability” between GoTG and Eternals for the GA (before their respective movies were released). I think people know it’s MCU and they will give it a chance and watch it.

If Eternals had better reviews (I.e above 90% on RT), I think more GA will be curious and I think a better OW will be expected. The obscurity of these characters (for an origin film) at this stage isn’t really a factor IMO, at least for the MCU. 

Edited by TigerPaw

There is no question MCU is the brand now. OD PS for Eternals was 20% bigger than BW !!! It just tapered off and then with bad reviews it just went south until final few days when it kind off recovered. Walkups have been subpar relative to PS. Only movie which has had excellent walkups this year is Venom 2. Rest all have been good to meh. Let us see how rest of the year goes. I would temper expectations for any release at this point. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

There is no question MCU is the brand now. OD PS for Eternals was 20% bigger than BW !!! It just tapered off and then with bad reviews it just went south until final few days when it kind off recovered. Walkups have been subpar relative to PS. Only movie which has had excellent walkups this year is Venom 2. Rest all have been good to meh. Let us see how rest of the year goes. I would temper expectations for any release at this point. 

RIP this board if NWH "only" does 150/525. :sadno: :sadno: :sadno: 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

RIP this board if NWH "only" does 150/525. :sadno: :sadno: :sadno: 

This board fails to understand there is a RAGING GLOBAL PANDEMIC happening right now + change of habits causes people to not go to theaters anymore and just wait for VOD/streaming.

• Like 9