Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

3 hours ago, poncho said:

Rotten Tomatoes is overrated in pop culture, this is due to the Marvel and DC fan war that started in 2016 with "Civil War vs. BvS", Some people use Rotten as an argument to validate their point of view.

There are people who loved RT then but hate RT now.....etc....  RT has always been RT.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think you gotta look at the UK #s. our box office had been slower than the US until No Time to Die came and blew it up, has made over 4x as much as the #2 film of the year (shang chi) and is the top 5 highest grossers of all-time. if spider-man has the demand it'll blow up

And we don’t have HBOMax. Or Peacock. Or Paramount+. 

Next year will improve when these day and date releases end. How many left, Clifford, King Richard and Matrix 4?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, poncho said:

people don't comment but "DS2" is undergoing reshots, and "Spider NWH" has had some reshots as well. 

Just to make this clear, this doesn't mean anything though. Pickup shots in movies that large are pretty common.

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I think (well, I hope), the 5-12 vaccines will bring back "families at the movies at Christmas", even if they don't do it often from now on, and that's where my gut and heart are on Spidey...if it does go only $100-$125M OW with $350Mish DOM, then studios and theaters will need to sit down and figure out what brings mom, kids, and grandmom back to theaters b/c the vaccine will not have done it at all in 2021...

You can't have an industry built for stable profitability on 13-45 male viewers only...at least not based on the current movie making paradigm...

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

more people are gonna watch 2 minutes of red notice than all the films we've been talking about for the past month. that's just facts.

Netflix have ditched their 2 minute rule. They’re now giving total hours watched instead.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/netflix-set-to-shake-up-ratings-strategy-plans-to-release-more-viewing-figures-in-future-1234858561/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Just to make this clear, this doesn't mean anything though. Pickup shots in movies that large are pretty common.

Doctor Strange 2 isn’t having pickups though, it’s having reshoots. Pickups don’t take a month. And it’s not its first batch of reshoots either. 

Anything to make the film better though. 

21 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

In a “normal” year we would’ve had multiple 300m+ domestic movies so far (and possibly one or more 400m ones). Nothing has come remotely close, and for the moment 200 seems like the new 400. Is it possible that changes in December? Sure, but I don’t think we can expect it to happen. 

How do we judge though when a lot of these were on HBO Max same day or D+ and $29.99 etc.   ?

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Doctor Strange 2 isn’t having pickups though, it’s having reshoots. Pickups don’t take a month. And it’s not its first batch of reshoots either. 

I guarantee though there are always reshoot and pickup days built into a film with that kind of budget. Anyways my point is at the end of the day it doesn't mean anything to indicate quality that much besides whatever people or fans like to imagine. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

I guarantee though there are always reshoot and pickup days built into a film with that kind of budget. Anyways my point is at the end of the day it doesn't mean anything to indicate quality that much besides whatever people or fans like to imagine. 

Exactly, and they usually help I’m sure. Dr Strange 2 has just had more than usual, that we know of. Benedict said in his interview “we’re making it better” and its release was delayed. 

13 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Was looking around ~23.5M 2 hours back. Let's see if there's any change later on. 70.5 weekend.

170M-180M range for the DOM total. MCU is back to 2011.

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Reshoots and pickups are two sides of the same coin. It’s not at all uncommon to do both, and pretty much everyone’s favorite movies have done it. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Menor said:

Honestly, are people here more Covid-cautious than the UK that Bond can break all sorts of records but we can't have a movie beat 400? If anything, I would say people are less cautious here. 

This is the point to be made. The reason we haven't had a HUGE movie in the US is just because we haven't had a huge movie in the US. It has nothing to do with the market or COVID or anything else. There hasn't been a "zeitgeist" film yet but there's one coming in 6 weeks. 

NWH will be to the US what NTTD was for the UK. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

This is the point to be made. The reason we haven't had a HUGE movie in the US is just because we haven't had a huge movie in the US. It has nothing to do with the market or COVID or anything else. There hasn't been a "zeitgeist" film yet but there's one coming in 6 weeks. 

NWH will be to the US what NTTD was for the UK. 

Yep. Like yeah Eternals is gonna have quite disappointing run but it's an origin movie. It's hardly unprecedented for Avengers/crossover films to absolutely blow the doors off what the solo movies can do. Just like it's hardly unprecedented for Bond films to explode in the UK. 

39 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Exactly, and they usually help I’m sure. Dr Strange 2 has just had more than usual, that we know of. Benedict said in his interview “we’re making it better” and its release was delayed. 

Which is as close as he'll come to saying "It's a mess, folks".

Edited by Fielding

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

by the way, this idea that it’s the fans that have pushed RT to where it’s at in the culture? I don’t think so at all.

We now live in a world where print media largely exist on clickbait online articles to make money. They prey on anything that has a base of fandom. 

Not sure about the fans part, but it is certainly in large part audience that pushed and decided to look at aggregate score instead of reading the NYTimes, they would by a giant amount much prefer if people still bought the paper and read reviews in them.

There is a bit of dance, but industry adjusted to people speaking their preference here I think, RT/metacritic/imdb became a thing a good while before youtube and click bait article click money about them existed.