Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

Neon presents Spencer on just under 1,000 screens, Pablo Larraín’s well reviewed psychological drama about the weekend Princess Diana rewrote the future of the British monarchy. The film is said to be looking at a $2-$2.5 million opening with an 84% Certified Fresh critics’ score on Rotten Tomatoes but a 50% audience score (albeit from fewer than 50 ratings).

https://deadline.com/2021/11/pablo-larrain-spencer-marvel-eternals-box-office-1234868631/

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm hoping this can beat F9 domestic which would require BW legs roughly.

Then I think marvel can get the top 5 domestic unless the Matrix 4 breaks out bigly. Hype for the Matrix 4 is a bit lower than I expected.

Matrix is on HBO Max. It is dead and buried. Marvel top 5 is a sure thing. 

• Like 1

70+ feels good to me. Don't get the doom and gloom some people are already trying to run with.

I dunno I think at this point the fact that the only hook it has is 'MCU' and 'some actors you might know including Angelina and Robb Stark' these are good numbers. BW involved a beloved character, and Shang Chi was more in line with MCU fare. Personally the expectation that all MCU films especially new and less popular properties should do much more/the same  as previous entries feels... unrealistic. Just like all the D+ shows weren't going to have WandaVision/FATWS level hype. I'm all for MCU trying different things even if it isn't always a slam dunk, better than doing the same thing over and over. Now if they keep having this issue (which is unlikely with Spidey and Strange and Thor coming up) then I'll be concerned.

But I've only watched the trailers and will finally watch tomorrow so maybe I'll eat my words and hate it 

• Like 2

Eternals had plenty of hooks. We saw with trailer views and the way PS started off that there was a high degree of interest in the film. Then it slowed a bit with the characters being unknown, but with good buzz out of the premiere (it was covered that way even if more closely analyzing the reactions some on here did accurately find them mixed) the sales bumped well. But after the reviews dropped it had nothing but bad buzz and headlines for a week and the sales completely stalled for that week until having a decent recovery in the final few days. Personally, I think if the buzz and WOM around this film were stronger, it would be challenging 100m, but there is no way to test that. 

• Like 3

Deadline's demo and rating numbers from last night for Eternals - women still aren't showing up, even for supers movies that are supposed to appeal to them...64/35 male (yes, this isn't 100%...yes, this is Deadline:)...although those reviews from the movie goers - ouch!  We looking at $80 OW/$170M total with those kinda reviews?

"Already, Eternals in last night’s PostTrak earned a low 75% positive and 3 1/2 stars from general audiences, and a 57% recommend. Kids under 12 rated the film better with four stars and 90% positive, and a 65% definite recommend. Audience turnout was 42% men over 25, 22% men under 25, 21% females over 25, and 14% females under 25. We’ll update you as these Comscore/Screen Engine exits change throughout the weekend."

https://deadline.com/2021/11/eternals-opening-weekend-box-office-1234868870/

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

It's kinda ironic that the kids liked it more.

The adults had seen Dune, the kids hadn't:)...somehow, GA people are directly comparing the 2 many places I'm reading, and not Eternals vs Shang Chi or Black Widow, which does make sense b/c I guess I've been comparing them (or at least mentioning that they were both sci fi/fantasy long movie world builders released 2 weeks apart)...

EDIT TO ADD: And the kids probably had the sugar highs of candy and ICEES (and popcorn) to pump their grades:)...(this is a joke:)...sorta:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits