Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's the issue a lot of franchises face when they make the movie "audiences wanted to see" after making a movie audiences rejected the first time. Like without Genisys existing, Dark Fate would have actually been a big event.

The conversation got so Goddamn nasty. All over a Ghostbusters movie. This was the hill so many idiots (on both sides of the coin) decided to die on?!

It strikes me as phoney to see people like Sony heads, Dan Aykroyd, etc. crawling back to those same people they were openly shitting on and saying, "Forget what we said and give us your money still!"

Also as you said that IP just isn't in the conversation with kids today as it was for us growing up. 

1 minute ago, Eric loves Ajak said:

As one of the tracking team guys, you guys are in for a rude awakening regarding Ghostbusters. Sales are already really strong out of the gate and indicate at the very least an opening on par with the last Ghostbusters movie.

We all like to mock nostalgia-wanking, but it's the only thing that sells these days and you all know it.

It's not just about domestic - nostalgia wanking doesn't work in markets where there is no nostalgia as the Star Wars Sequels found out.

When the first Ghostbusters was a thing the only big OS markets were the UK, Australia and Japan 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

It's not just about domestic - nostalgia wanking doesn't work in markets where there is no nostalgia as the Star Wars Sequels found out.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we'll be counting China as 'domestic' or whatever term is preferable by the end of the decade. Hollywood needs to adapt. Fast.

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

When the first Ghostbusters was a thing the only big OS markets were the UK, Australia and Japan 

Well, it depends how much you spend on your movie and what type of movie you have...comedies (and "spooky movies") do tend to get majority or more revenue from domestic...

Edit to add: As an example, the 2016 version was 56% DOM...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

wow just checked. the first Ghostbusters was HUGE. 242M in 1984 is massive. I didn't know how big it was. they really screwed up with the reboot in 2016

Well there was a big drop-off with 2. Theres a reason 3 never wound up happening (though they did make the script for it into the video game)

• Like 2

I'm most curious to see how Encanto does out of all of this month's movies since no kids movie has made over $60M throughout the pandemic era and the fact Universal so far is pushing Sing 2 (which would probably be deemed a success even with a Secret Life of Pets 2-style drop-off in the current environment) much harder than Disney seems to be pushing their Annual Thanksgiving Weekend Animated Entry which will be available on D+ by the time the former opens a few weeks later. It should do better than Raya since the market conditions are much better now but by how much more remains to be seen.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I'm not so sure of the latter (promised Eric to not venture back to SW). In the Nordics pretty much every kid watched the Ghostbusters in the 80s & 90s. They might not have seen them in the theater but nonetheless, it was a huge thing back then. People also recognized from the last "reboot's" trailers that this isn't the Ghostbusters we fell in love with but the Afterlife. Oh, the soothing nostalgia bringing back that childhood's golden times....

Ron Swanson Gun GIF by Parks and Recreation

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Remain uncertain if even domestically this makes a dent after the bad taste left by 2016's Answer the Call.

It'll do fine.  The last movie was so bad that they wiped the slate clean and made a Stranger Things/Ghostbusters hybrid movie instead.

33 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's the issue a lot of franchises face when they make the movie "audiences wanted to see" after making a movie audiences rejected the first time. Like without Genisys existing, Dark Fate would have actually been a big event.

Did people even like Dark Fate?  I know its not jaw-on-the-floor level bad like Genisys, but it feels like that movie was forgotten after a month.

26 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

The conversation got so Goddamn nasty. All over a Ghostbusters movie. This was the hill so many idiots (on both sides of the coin) decided to die on?!

It strikes me as phoney to see people like Sony heads, Dan Aykroyd, etc. crawling back to those same people they were openly shitting on and saying, "Forget what we said and give us your money still!"

Also as you said that IP just isn't in the conversation with kids today as it was for us growing up. 

We deserve at least 1 Terminator Genisys, Ghostbusters 2016, and Jupiter Ascending per year.  I was in awe at the discourse surrounding those movies.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Did people even like Dark Fate?  I know its not jaw-on-the-floor level bad like Genisys, but it feels like that movie was forgotten after a month.

As a massive fan of the first two Terminator movies, I actually liked it a hell of a lot. It’s nowhere near the first two obviously, but it’s the first sequel since T2 that actually felt like it deserved to be canon. As much as I love Arnie, the other sequels got so tied up in thinking that he was the star that they forgot that Linda Hamilton was his co-lead, bringing her back for Dark Fate is why it works as well as it does.

That said, it was definitely forgotten about pretty quickly. If Genisys never happened, it’d probably be a different story.

Ghostbusters is gonna flop DOM (25m OW) and tank badly OS (even worse than the previous movie).

Encanto and Gucci should do 40M over the 5 day Thanksgiving period. Hopefully.

RE will do 3M over the 5 day weekend. King Richard if it does 10M OW it is a major win. My guess is 6-7M.

10 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Don't think a lot of people like it due to killing off John Connor at the start reversing a hard fought victory for the heroes like in Alien 3.

But I was talking more about the buildup and marketing buzz. With Dark Fate, literally the only extra buzz was the return of Linda Hamilton. Everything else was already taken by Genisys

- the return of Arnold and the reason he looks older

- a nanobot Terminator

- continuing from Terminator 2

- Cameron saying "I consider this to be the true sequel to Terminator 2"

Basically all big marketing hooks looked like retreads from the movie which just came out before Dark Fate, enough to leave audiences wondering "What exactly new is THIS movie bringing to the table?"

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Sure, I liked it well enough. Even dragged my ass to the theater to make sure I saw it in a good environment. I’m not sure it had a ton of staying power, like you said, and I didn’t think it was amazing, but it was solid. I guess the problem is, without lots of enthusiasm, stuff just kinda drains away. 

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

I’ll laugh at the theory Shang Chi should absolutely get a sequel and Eternals not, if the latter outgrosses it overseas and worldwide. 

One is cheaper than the other and good received movie tend to increase on sequels.

Having said that, it's not really wild for Eternals to get a sequel and more if they promote some of those characters in another series or movie.

7 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

As a massive fan of the first two Terminator movies, I actually liked it a hell of a lot. It’s nowhere near the first two obviously, but it’s the first sequel since T2 that actually felt like it deserved to be canon. As much as I love Arnie, the other sequels got so tied up in thinking that he was the star that they forgot that Linda Hamilton was his co-lead, bringing her back for Dark Fate is why it works as well as it does.

That said, it was definitely forgotten about pretty quickly. If Genisys never happened, it’d probably be a different story.

Dark Fate is quite easily the best Terminator since T2. However, that doesn't mean much seeing how bad the other ones were (although i liked parts of Salvation). Unfortunately, as much as i love Cameron as a filmmaker, he has no clue what else to do with the franchise and so we got another pale imitation of T2 with some questionable narrative choices. He seems too hung up on it being a star vehicle for his buddy Arnie and he has no interest in a future war story, which is where the franchise should have went if it is was up to me (Salvation but better). I mean, there's a reason Cameron never returned to the franchise as the director.

• Like 1