Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

7 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Dark Fate is quite easily the best Terminator since T2. However, that doesn't mean much seeing how bad the other ones were (although i liked parts of Salvation). Unfortunately, as much as i love Cameron as a filmmaker, he has no clue what else to do with the franchise and so we got another pale imitation of T2 with some questionable narrative choices. He seems too hung up on it being a star vehicle for his buddy Arnie and he has no interest in a future war story, which is where the franchise should have went if it is was up to me (Salvation but better). I mean, there's a reason Cameron never returned to the franchise as the director.

And honestly, like Indy should have been left alone after the Last Crusade with a perfect ending for him (as Spielberg intended), so would have been Terminator better off leaving it be after T2. Same with Ghostbusters. But there isn't probably a successful movie series that won't ultimately be revived and milked until everyone loses what the original story and characters were about. Everything gets deflated in every way. That's just how it is and will be. The same will happen to Dune but before that looking forward to enjoy Denis next 2, and hoping the Sisterhood series don't become next Foundation series in between.

No Time To die has a shot at $750m I'd say. It made over $60m in the past week.

We'll see how the VOD thing will effect the late legs (which seem to be kicking in now domestically lol), but it should easily pass F9

Edited by Pinacolada

4 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

No Time To die has a shot at $750m I'd say. It made over $60m in the past week.

We'll see how the VOD thing will effect the late legs (which seem to be kicking in now domestically lol), but it should easily pass F9

IMO would have passed $1B in pre-pandemic times so that effects at least 25% downward its gross WW.

3 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

And honestly, like Indy should have been left alone after the Last Crusade with a perfect ending for him (as Spielberg intended), so would have been Terminator better off leaving it be after T2. Same with Ghostbusters. But there isn't probably a successful movie series that won't ultimately be revived and milked until everyone loses what the original story and characters were about. Everything gets deflated in every way. That's just how it is and will be. The same will happen to Dune but before that looking forward to enjoy Denis next 2, and hoping the Sisterhood series don't become next Foundation series in between.

I know a big reason is that Michael J. Fox is too unhealthy for it, but it's an honest-to-god miracle we haven't gotten any nostalgia-baiting Back to the Future 4. It feels like it would be an inevitability by now.

8 minutes ago, Eric loves Ajak said:

I know a big reason is that Michael J. Fox is too unhealthy for it, but it's an honest-to-god miracle we haven't gotten any nostalgia-baiting Back to the Future 4. It feels like it would be an inevitability by now.

Do you hear that...that is the sound of inevitability.

Angry Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Ghostbusters is gonna flop DOM (25m OW) and tank badly OS (even worse than the previous movie).

Friendly reminder to be a fair judge when this GB movie emerges: It cost at the most half, if not possibly down to just a third of what they spent on the last one, so the bar for relative success will be lower for SONY, I'd think...also including our current COVID-era of relative reduced box office attendance.  I'd bet that inside SONY's boardrooms, this one's considered a re-starter...if it's successful within what they spend, they'll go bigger on the next one.  And yeah, they're counting on the "Stranger Things" kids to bring in some younger crowds...

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, poncho said:

In the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Lebanon and Egypt we understand that a version of the film will be released that removes all scenes of intimacy — be they heterosexual or homosexual. This is generally normal practice for these markets.

What did 50 shades of grey looked like in Lebanon with all scenes of intimacy removed ?

While everyone is up in arms about Eternals, the disastrous performance of Spencer squeaks by unnoticed. But make no mistake, it's a disaster. The "oh but it's just an indie" excuse does not have merit. This is a movie about one of the most iconic and beloved figures of the last 50 years. It stars a name actress. Between critics swooning over it, months of  festivals/accompanying BA Oscar buzz, Neon's barrage of promoted tweets, Kristen Stewart strategically announcing her engagement on release week in a way that would have made the Kardashians proud, and a bullish near-1,000 screen count, this should have done at least $4-5M. 

Another reminder that Twitter is far removed from the real world. 

51 minutes ago, Eric loves Ajak said:

Probably because Zemeckis and Gale own the rights. They refuse to sign off on anything. The moment they die though, all bets are off. Like what happened with SpongeBob.

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Flopped said:

While everyone is up in arms about Eternals, the disastrous performance of Spencer squeaks by unnoticed. But make no mistake, it's a disaster. The "oh but it's just an indie" excuse does not have merit. This is a movie about one of the most iconic and beloved figures of the last 50 years. It stars a name actress. Between critics swooning over it, months of  festivals/accompanying BA Oscar buzz, Neon's barrage of promoted tweets, Kristen Stewart strategically announcing her engagement on release week in a way that would have made the Kardashians proud, and a bullish near-1,000 screen count, this should have done at least $4-5M. 

Another reminder that Twitter is far removed from the real world. 

Terrific. Glad you joined to vomit all over KStew. Hopefully you feel better now. Adult dramas are not performing well. Only have to look at The Last Duel to see that. Belfast will go the same fate soon.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Flopped said:

While everyone is up in arms about Eternals, the disastrous performance of Spencer squeaks by unnoticed.

I imagine Lauren previous Jackie (that was so good) big success was something they had in mind to reproduce, it is rough out there for the elderly crowd targeted movie (and trying to open that large instead of growing up, with the Oscar type run being maybe a bit of a past thing already).

To give an idea it took week 7 to Jackie to get has low per theater than Spence opening, but it never got to 400 screen by them while spencer opened on almost 1000.

That  said disaster ? I tonya peaked at 3.3, Pig at .97 million, Titane at .53 million, LadyFire at .75, The Lodge at .63m, Neon is not used to big numbers.

4-5 would have maybe be a lot, maybe 3-3.5 would been a real nice success.

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

I imagine Lauren previous Jackie (that was so good) big success was something they had in mind to reproduce, it is rough out there for the elderly crowd targeted movie (and trying to open that large instead of growing up, with the Oscar type run being maybe a bit of a past thing already).

To give an idea it took week 7 to Jackie to get has low per theater than Spence opening, but it never got to 400 screen by them while spencer opened on almost 1000.

That  said disaster ? I tonya peaked at 3.3, Pig at .97 million, Titane at .53 million, LadyFire at .75, The Lodge at .63m, Neon is not used to big numbers.

4-5 would have maybe be a lot, maybe 3-3.5 would been a real nice success.

Titane? Portrait...Fire? You're really comparing subtitled French arthouse films to Hollywood's latest "IP" of choice, Princess Diana, complete with a garish "come see Twilight's Kristen Stewart transform into Lady Di and gun for Oscar, and btw did you hear about her engagement???" marketing campaign? 

8 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Titane? Portrait...Fire? You're really comparing subtitled French arthouse films to Hollywood's latest "IP" of choice, Princess Diana, complete with a garish "come see Twilight's Kristen Stewart transform into Lady Di and gun for Oscar, and btw did you hear about her engagement???" marketing campaign? 

I have not seen it, but I imagine being a Larrain movie not being far off those, and I am assuming here, but the fact Diana, Lady Di, etc... is not in the title a sign they did had bought all the marketing rights to use the IP here (like Selma for MLK, not having the I have the dream and so on available)

There numbers are way lower, the message is not saying it did good because it did has much has them, I am saying maybe doing 3 times Pig or similar to I Tonya best weekend would have been good.

That a strong second message ever on a message board by the way ;) Mister Flopped

Edited by Barnack

One really bad thing for the weekend...even with the Eternals open and all the decently performing holders, DOM Top 10 barely cleared $100M ($103.7M) and overall DOM was only $109M...so still no overall growth in BO since Venom even with now more popular and available product...

THAT one fact worries me about Spidey's open and may have to tone down my excitement...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

One really bad thing for the weekend...even with the Eternals open and all the decently performing holders, DOM Top 10 barely cleared $100M ($103.7M) and overall DOM was only $109M...so still no overall growth in BO since Venom even with now more popular and available product...

THAT one fact worries me about Spidey's open and may have to tone down my excitement...

We shouldn't expect bigger tops anytime soon, not counting NWH's OW since that will be carried by a single movie.