Cap

Eternals Weekend Thread: 71M OW DOM, 90M OS | Dune 7.6M (-50%), NTTD 6.2M, Venom 4.5M, Spencer 2.1M

11 hours ago, wintersoldier2021 said:

So because you liked the 2016 film those that grew up with the originals don’t deserve a third film? You liked 2026 better than the original?

The issue is not whether or not fans of the original Ghostbusters movies deserve a third film or not.

It's more that the only reason Afterlife is even happening in the first place is because Sony is desperate for nostalgia money, and since the 2016 movie lost them money in its theatrical run (they overspent, a 140m budget is absurd for a GB film) AND made man-children around the world cry because how dare they do a GB movie with female leads that in no way erases the 1984 film from existence, they did a direct sequel to the 84 and 89 films that, even if unintentionally, pretty much rewards those who harassed everyone involved with the 16 film because "durr women threaten our manhood."

If those are the "fans" of the series, Ghostbusters has "fans" just as poisonous as Star Wars, Marvel or DC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

disney is over sony is the new god. morbius gonna break out too.

I was having trouble driving in the rain at night the other day and thought "Gee, I really wish I had bat radar right now." Thanks, Morbius!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I was having trouble driving in the rain at night the other day and thought "Gee, I really wish I had bat radar right now." Thanks, Morbius!

i can't lie the morbius trailer got me more excited than what the batman or spider-man has been giving me.

• Like 1

Wait, so the movie actually opened the same as Shang Chi. We can add a couple of million on if it had a Sunday followed by a holiday like that movie did. 

so…..Shang Chi opening level domestic

and….higher than Shang Chi internationally 

yet the movie is a disaster with no sequel future because of RT and Cinemascore? Lmao. 

Bigger than Shang Chi. Fact. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Wait, so the movie actually opened the same as Shang Chi. We can add a couple of million on if it had a Sunday followed by a holiday like that movie did. 

so…..Shang Chi opening level domestic

and….higher than Shang Chi internationally 

yet the movie is a disaster with no sequel future because of RT and Cinemascore? Lmao. 

Bigger than Shang Chi. Fact. 

Let the spin begin.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2

FINALLY A DEMO BREAKDOWN - and here's another huge problem for the Eternals - I was right - unlike normal MCU, it was not a diverse breakdown - plus as per regular this year, almost no families...13-45 white male was the predominant audience (and yes, again Deadline doesn't add to 100% for the breakdown, but let's assume they dropped the other category)...that's a total fail by Disney b/c this movie shouldn't have been that - somehow Disney drove away the diversity they were trying to attract, when Venom 2 had no such problems just last month...

"Other stats on Eternals: updated demos through Saturday were 61% males, 39% females, 55% between 18-34 and 53% under 25. General audience diversity make-up per PostTrak was 51% Caucasian, 23% Hispanic and Latino, 13% African American and 9% Asian. General audience made up 85% of the pic’s business while parents and kids under 12 combined were 15%. Overall 3 1/2 stars and 78% positive, with a 60% definite recommend — not Marvel’s finest moment. Kids under 12 liked it better at 86% and four stars. Men under 25 made up 31% of the crowd (76% grade), Men over 25 30% (78%), Women under 25 were 22% (80%) and women over 25 at 17% (who liked it the most at 81%).

https://deadline.com/2021/11/eternals-opening-weekend-box-office-1234868870/

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

FINALLY A DEMO BREAKDOWN - and here's another huge problem for the Eternals - I was right - unlike normal MCU, it was not a diverse breakdown - plus as per regular this year, almost no families...13-45 white male was the predominant audience (and yes, again Deadline doesn't add to 100% for the breakdown, but let's assume they dropped the other category)...that's a total fail by Disney b/c this movie shouldn't have been that - somehow Disney drove away the diversity they were trying to attract, when Venom 2 had no such problems just last month...

"Other stats on Eternals: updated demos through Saturday were 61% males, 39% females, 55% between 18-34 and 53% under 25. General audience diversity make-up per PostTrak was 51% Caucasian, 23% Hispanic and Latino, 13% African American and 9% Asian. General audience made up 85% of the pic’s business while parents and kids under 12 combined were 15%. Overall 3 1/2 stars and 78% positive, with a 60% definite recommend — not Marvel’s finest moment. Kids under 12 liked it better at 86% and four stars. Men under 25 made up 31% of the crowd (76% grade), Men over 25 30% (78%), Women under 25 were 22% (80%) and women over 25 at 17% (who liked it the most at 81%).

https://deadline.com/2021/11/eternals-opening-weekend-box-office-1234868870/

So "women over 25 at 17% (who liked it the most at 81%)."

Just now, Danhjpn said:

So "women over 25 at 17% (who liked it the most at 81%)."

Yep, and this demo has been missing at all movies all year, along with the kids 12 and under...Disney obviously wanted to attract this demo, and missed almost entirely...

They also wanted to attract a diverse demo, and had the least diverse supers turnout of the year...even more Caucasian than Black Widow, which was 46%...

And I want to note - this had even fewer families - Black Widow was 23% (10% parents, 13% kids) - this one gets 15% combined...I guess Clifford is well timed for Tuesday, even if it's terrible...

23 hours ago, SLAM! said:

Dang, a $2.1M weekend for Spencer, which was only in 996 theaters, is pretty darn decent! The French Dispatch is doing okay too.

Actually 2.1m isn't good number for me, I expect more since the buzz in this one seem stronger.  They should go try platform release. 995 is too wide and too fast since this kind of movie need longer time for people to realise it is out there in the theater.