Grade it  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I think the role of Nolan Booth was written directly for Ryan Reynolds because nobody else could play this role. It's got all of his snark and sarcasm and quirks and everything else that makes Ryan Reynolds so entertaining.

The movie started off a little awkwardly but after the first 15 or 20 minutes it just became everything that I love about movies. It might as well have been directed by Michael Bay that's how frenetic and crazy the action was in this and not lost on the makers of this film was the fact that this had its DNA clearly in the Indiana Jones mold.

And the three leads do not disappoint. Gal Gadot was terrific, Dwayne Johnson was Dwayne Johnson and as I've mentioned Ryan Reynolds was just amazing. There was one big twist in the movie that I didn't see coming at all and that made it that much better.

I've been looking forward to this movie since they announced it and it didn't disappoint.

8.5/10 

• Like 1

just copying what i thought from the other thread: mostly lame. the rock and reynolds don't have good comedic chemistry, they never really figure out that dynamic and they both seem bored and on autopilot. no standout action setpieces either. ask me to recite a joke or recount a cool action moment a week from now and i'll be stumped. gal gadot was the one part i enjoyed, liked her looser energy here compared to wonder woman or fast. this is the hottest she's ever been in a movie.

• Sad 1

I started it last night and turned it off about an hour in, figuring that if I really wanted to watch a comedy about people trying to steal an egg, I might as well throw Game Night on again. Came back to it this morning though, and this is my review from Letterboxd:

As a big-budget vehicle for three of the industry’s most distinctive stars, Red Notice succeeds in assembling said stars, but fails to use them in any particularly interesting ways. At their best, Dwayne Johnson, Ryan Reynolds, and Gal Gadot are all savvy movie stars who get exactly what viewers generally like about their most famous roles and play well to those expectations. This film, however, misuses each of them. Rather than lean into his large personality and comedic chops, Johnson is reduced to a generic action hero with the occasional one-liner. Rather than engage in the edgier, fourth wall-breaking comedy of his most successful roles, Reynolds is on autopilot with blunted, mostly unfunny comedy. And rather than play into her ability to embody a tough but elegant action hero, Gadot is miscast in an antagonistic role where neither her villainous qualities nor her comedic timing are up to snuff. For a film this generic and underwritten to work, the stars really need to sell it, and none of the big names here succeeds in doing so. There are some mildly amusing gags here and there, and Rawson Marshall Thurber’s direction occasionally elevates the pulse during the film’s action sequences, but it’s mostly a forgettable mess that squanders the onscreen talent it is using as its primary selling point.

C-

Yeah, this stinks. Most of the jokes flop, every twist can be seen coming from miles away, and all three of the usually charismatic stars don't click well with each other and deliver mailed in performances (is it even possible for Ryan Reynolds to pull off a dramatic role anymore as he continues to typecast himself beyond repair to these snarky characters?). And did close to all of the reported $200M budget basically cover the salaries for the stars? The production values look cheaper than the average Super Bowl commercial. Even by the standards of starry Netflix actioners that were clearly assembled to be watched as background noise where you can leave the room and come back without having missed anything important, there are better options than this. D+

The only true laugh in the whole movie for me was The Most Boring Musician to Ever Achieve Stardom (aka Ed Sheeran) continuing to prove he can't even play fictionalized versions of himself convincingly. 

This wasn't good. It's sometimes passable but mostly just strange. Reynolds and The Rock are okay but nowhere close to Statham and The Rock.

Gadot is pretty good for what she has to do in the movie.

The movie doesn't end so much as it stops. It's just a bunch of twists followed by a sequel bait final scene. 

Really disjointed movie on the whole.

One thing I noticed was that they went out of their way to ensure that we knew that the leads killed no one in the movie. There's so many situations where you think there's a big body count but it turns out everyone is alive.

8 hours ago, grim22 said:

One thing I noticed was that they went out of their way to ensure that we knew that the leads killed no one in the movie. There's so many situations where you think there's a big body count but it turns out everyone is alive.

I noticed that too. :lol: Felt like Dwayne firing back at Vin for the criticisms that the characters in the last few Fast movies have displayed zero regard for the massive amount of property damage they've caused and the potential casualties along the way.

Does the Rock have chemistry with ANYONE? He has this weirdly asexual vibe, reminiscent of Will Smith but worse. When I was watching the Mummy rip-off called The Jungle Cruise, I kept thinking about that seeing him with Emily Blunt, and their lack of sparks compared to Brendan Frasier and Rachel Weisz. Anyway, needless to say, Red Notice is horrible because I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes. 

The worst movie of all time. Horrendous CGI, the most generic script ever created and the 3 leads were sleepwalking through it (they had no energy at all and were absolutely checked out during the whole thing).

Edited by CJohn
  • Astonished 1