baumer

Baumer's 60 best Holy Bleep moments in horror movie history 3) The Changeling 2) Blair Witch 1) Sleepaway Camp

Number 27:  The Conjuring Part 2 (2016)

MV5BZjU5OWVlN2EtODNlYy00MjhhLWI0MDUtMTA3

Starring:  Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson, Madison Wolfe

Directed by James Wan

Box office:  310M WW

My rating:  8.5/10

The story:  In 1977, paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren travel to London, England, where single mother Peggy Hodgson believes that something evil is in her home. When Peggy's youngest daughter starts showing signs of demonic possession, Ed and Lorraine attempt to help the besieged girl, only to find themselves targeted by the malicious spirits.

The holy shit creepy moment:  The NUN.  Say the name and fans of the series know what scene you're talking about.  James Wan showed here in his four minute scene that he is the master of suspense and terror.  Lorraine sees the NUN in her hallway and then follows it into one of the rooms of the house.  Here, we get all of Wan's tricks and savvy.  We see the picture of the nun behind Lorraine, Christmas music begins playing on an old tape recorder, lights go on and off, shadows are on the wall and there is misdirection.  And then finally, the picture of the nun comes to life and attacks Lorraine.  When I saw this on the cinema, every person screamed their heads off when the portrait came to life and rushed at her!  It's four minutes of horror brilliance.

Trivia:  James Wan was offered a "life-altering" amount of money in order to direct The Fate of the Furious (2017). However, he turned that opportunity down to direct this film instead. "I feel rejuvenated to tell a scary story one more time," Wan wrote on Instagram.

The opening scene where the Warrens are seen partaking in a séance in the Amityville Horror House, Lorraine is seen wearing a trenchcoat and a skirt. Inspiration for this costume was taken from what the real Lorraine Warren wore during a séance in real life during the Amityville case. She wore a replica of the outfit right down to the styling of her hair.

• Like 3

Number 26:  The Descent (2005)

MV5BMjA5NzQ1NTgwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjUx

Starring:  Shauna Macdonald, Natalie Mendoza, Alex Reid

Directed by:  Neil Marshall

Box office:  57M WW

The story:  A woman goes on vacation with her friends after her husband and daughter encounter a tragic accident. One year later she goes hiking with her friends and they get trapped in the cave. With a lack of supply, they struggle to survive and they meet strange blood thirsty creatures.

The Scary Scene:  Neil Marshall’s The Descent is considered by some the scariest movie of the past 20 years, and for good reason. The movie hooks us in with its claustrophobic setting – a tiny and very unstable cave system somewhere in Appalachia – and its dynamic group of women with their complicated pasts and relationships. Then, when it has us right where it wants us… MONSTERS. And f—king scary ones at that. The movie’s most intense scene is also the first time we see these humanoid beasties, and Marshall masterfully mixes slow-building dread, dramatic distraction, and a helluva jump scare for the big reveal. We’re so caught up in the drama over Juno getting the group lost that we almost don’t notice that thing standing RIGHT THERE.

Trivia:  The "crawlers" were designed to resemble Nosferatu from the film Nosferatu (1922). They also had huge white eyes to begin with, but this idea was done away with because they looked too silly. It took three and a half hours in makeup to transform an actor into a "crawler." They had to shave off their body hair as well.

The appearance of the creatures was kept secret from the cast members until the first scene in which they encounter them was filmed. When the cast were finally filming the scene where the girls encounter the crawlers, the girls were genuinely scared and screamed the building down, running off set and laughing.

• Like 5

Number 25:  It Follows (2014)

MV5BMmU0MjBlYzYtZWY0MC00MjliLWI3ZmUtMzhl

Starring:  Maika Munroe, Keir Gilchrist, Oliviaz Lucardi

Directed by:  David R. Mitchell

Box office:  23.2M

My rating:  10/10

The story:  Jay Height dates Hugh and they have casual sex on the backseat of his car. Then he abducts her and tells that he has passed a curse through the intercourse to her and shows a walker coming toward them. He warns that she must pass the curse to another man; otherwise she will be hunted down by the walker. Further, the walker changes form and may look like someone she loves. If it kills her, he will be followed again. Jay shares the secret with her sister Kelly Height and her friends Yara, Paul and Greg Hannigan. Soon Jay learns that Hugh has told the truth and her sister and friends try to help her. Will she succeed to escape from the supernatural being?

The awesome jump scare:  This scene is a masterful example of timing and direction.  Munroe's character is seeing people and beings that no one else can see.  It's part of the curse.  Then, in pure Hitchcockian fashion, none of her friends believe her,  They all talk down to her like she's crazy.  She locks herself in her room ands her friends beg her to open the door.  When she finally trusts them and opens the door, out of nowhere a very very tall man appears.  There is no blood, no gore, no violence.  Just the horrifying reality that what she is seeing is very real but no one else can.  

Trivia:  According to the production company, the film's budget was $1.3 million and was shot entirely in the state of Michigan for tax advantages. A year after its theatrical release, it grossed over $20 million.

Not only do the set props prevent the viewer from placing the year, the clothing prevents the viewer from placing the time of year. Throughout the film's short duration clothing ranges from coats, jackets, t-shirts and swimsuits during the day, to barely anything at all at night... all outdoors, with no signs of discomfort.

• Like 2

#24 Misery (1990)

MV5BNzY0ODQ3MTMxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDkw

Starring:  Kathy Bates, James Caan, Richard Farnsworth

Directed by Rob Reiner

Box office:  61.2M

My rating:  9/10

The story:  Best-selling novelist Paul Sheldon is on his way home from his Colorado hideaway after completing his latest book, when he crashes his car in a freak blizzard. Paul is critically injured, but is rescued by former nurse Annie Wilkes, Paul's "number one fan", who takes Paul back to her remote house in the mountains (without bothering to tell anybody). Unfortunately for Paul, Annie is also a headcase. When she discovers that Paul has killed off the heroine in her favorite novels, her reaction leaves Paul shattered (literally)...

The cover your eyes moment:  For sheer impact, nothing beats Rob Reiner’s Misery, in which barely a drop of blood is spilled and not a single eyeball plucked. I'm cringing just remembering the moment Kathy Bates’ Annie Wilkes’ places a block of wood between a tied-down Paul Sheldon’s (James Caan) feet and breaks his ankles with the swoop of a giant sledgehammer. The crunch! The unnatural bend of the ankle! The slow and methodical description of “hobbling” that Wilkes gives before she takes her epic swing! When you see the scene developing, you can't believe she is actually going to go through with it but she does and she does it, in her mind, not to punish him, but to protect him.  It's such a powerful moment but it's very hard to stomach.

Trivia:  James Caan once showed up to the set hungover, and all of the scenes he shot that day were unusable. Rob Reiner told Caan he had to do the scenes again because there was "a problem at the lab." When Caan learned it had nothing to do with labs, he offered to cover the money he lost the studio.

Stephen King was initially reluctant to sell the film rights to "Misery" because he was skeptical that a Hollywood studio would make a movie faithful to his vision. However, King was impressed with one adaptation of his works, Stand by Me (1986), and agreed to sell "Misery" under the proviso that Rob Reiner would either produce or direct the film.

• Like 4

#23 IT (2017)

00f8935d3aff66c76a55296a287c6362.jpg

Starring:  Finn Wolfhard, Sophia Lillis, Bill Skarsgard

Directed by Andy Muschetti

Box office:  701M WW

My rating:  9/10 Still not a perfect adaptation, but very well done.

The story:  When young children in the little town Derry, Maine goes missing a group of seven kids find out that the killer is not a man. The killer is the evil clown Pennywise who can shapeshift into the thing you are most afraid of. The kids, also known as the Losers Club, decide to fight and kill It. But how can you fight something who knows all your biggest fears?

The terrifying moment:  The projector comes to life:  Of all the scenes they created just for the movie, imo, this one works the best.  In the book, Bill and Richie are alone in Georgie's room looking at a history of Derry book when it comes to life and Pennywise does his thing.  But in here, the defiant 7 are in Bill's garage looking at a slide show when all of a sudden Pennywise finds a way to terrorize them.  I attribute this scary moment to tight and understanding direction by Muschetti.  Pennywise seems to come life and is moments away from leaping off the screen and into the garage.  

Trivia:  Bill Skarsgård wanted to make sure that his performance as Pennywise was convincing for audiences. He states, "In order for this movie to be as effective as the book and the series, I have to scare a whole generation. My take was that Pennywise functions very simply. Nothing much is going on in terms of what he's thinking - he's animalistic and instinctive."

Director Andy Muschietti stated in an interview that he specifically cast Finn Wolfhard to play Richie Tozier because he immediately recognized the shared similarities between Wolfhard and Richie in that Wolfhard too, had a burning need inside to express himself and be funny in real life just like the character Richie Tozier does.

Here's a piece I wrote about what could have made IT even better:

https://www.top10films.co.uk/42788-top-10-things-missing-andy-muschiettis-made-book-better/

• Like 4

Number 22:  Friday the 13th The Final Chapter (1984)

71E6YCeqyeL._RI_.jpg

Starring:  Crispin Glover, Ted White, Lawrence Monoson

Directed by Joseph Zito

Box office:  36M

My rating:  10/10 (IMO the best horror film ever made, just edging out Halloween)

The Story:  Jason disappears from the morgue and heads back to Crystal Lake to continue his bloody reign of terror.  But this time, Tommy Jarvis and his sister Trish will be waiting for him.

The Holy Shit scene:  Tom Savini was hired for $12,000 to do the makeup and effects on the original film.  He was absent from the two sequels that followed.  He agreed to return to this one on one condition.  He wanted to kill Jason and do it fantastically.  And kill him he does.  His work is outstanding.  The entire killing of Jason lasts for perhaps 10 seconds of screen time, and yet that one scene took weeks to perfect.  The scene you will see here is the scene that appears theatrically, but there is an extended version of it that is much gorier and has much more blood.  Next to Andy getting sliced in two in the third one, this is my favourite kill in the series.  

Trivia:  The poster shows the hockey mask with a knife on its left eyesocket. Jason is defeated with a machete going through his left eye.

Amy Steel talked Peter Barton into doing the film. By the time the Final Chapter offer came around Matthew Star was off the air, and Barton wanted no part of horror films, having hated working on Hell Night in 1981. Amy Steel somehow talked him into it, selling him on the notoriety of starring in the final Friday the 13th film.

Piece I wrote about some of the best moments in Friday the 13th movies

https://www.top10films.co.uk/59500-the-13-greatest-moments-in-the-friday-the-13th-movies/

• Like 2

Number 21 Aliens (1986)

91kkGWtyqTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Starring:  Sigourney Weaver, Bill Paxton, Michael Biehn, Paul Reiser, Lance Henriksen

Directed by James Cameron

Box office:  131M WW

My rating:  10/10 (Cameron's best film)

The story:  57 years after Ellen Ripley had a close encounter with the reptilian alien creature from the first movie, she is called back, this time, to help a group of highly trained colonial marines fight off against the sinister extraterrestrials. But this time, the aliens have taken over a space colony on the moon LV-426. When the colonial marines are called upon to search the deserted space colony, they later find out that they are up against more than what they bargained for. Using specially modified machine guns and enough firepower, it's either fight or die as the space marines battle against the aliens. As the Marines do their best to defend themselves, Ripley must attempt to protect a young girl who is the sole survivor of the nearly wiped out space colony.

The heart stopping scene:  There's several in here but the one that got me, and got me real good was the scene where the marines are sealing the room with blow torches and Hudson has the body movement tracker.  He keeps telling them that the creatures are closing in and Vasquez and Hicks are working as fast as they can to seal the doors.  They are short on ammo and according to Hudson, "It's a big fucking signal."  When the tracker indicates that the xenomorphs are in the room with them, they are all confused.......until they look up and realize they must be coming at them from the ceiling vents.  Hicks slowly pushes up the ceiling panel to reveal dozens of the creatures coming for them.  This scene made me jump, literally.  It's perfect on every level.

Trivia:  The knife trick scene was originally going to be done by Bishop alone. According to Lance Henriksen, he suggested to James Cameron to have Hudson's hand put on top of his, to which Cameron agreed as Henriksen felt the scene needed something extra. This change was discussed with almost everyone, except Bill Paxton. Henriksen also remembers a long night of drinking after shooting this scene followed by a reshoot of the scene, as it looked too fake when they sped the footage up. He accidentally caught Paxton's pinky with the knife on this reshoot.

Sigourney Weaver had initially been very hesitant to reprise her role as Ripley. She had rejected numerous offers from Fox Studios to do any sequels, fearing that her character would be poorly written, and a sub-par sequel could hurt the legacy of Alien (1979). However, she was so impressed by the high quality of James Cameron's script - specifically, the strong focus on Ripley, the mother-daughter bond between her character and Newt, and the incredible precision with which Cameron wrote her character, that she finally agreed to do the film.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, The Stingray said:

Great list so far, baumer.

The last holy fuck moment in horror that I can remember is the Kuato scene from Malignant. An entertaining movie.

I haven't seen that one yet.

Number 20:  The Vanishing (1988)

MV5BMTU1OTQyMTE1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTY3

Starring:  Bernard-Pierre Donnadieu, Gene Bervoets, Johanna ter Steege

Directed by George Sluizer

Box office:  NA

The story:  Rex and Saskia are on holiday, a young couple in love. They stop at a busy service station and Saskia disappears. Rex dedicates the next three years trying to find her. Then he receives some postcards from her abductor, who promises to reveal what has happened to Saskia. The abductor, Raymond Lemorne, is a chilling character to whom Rex is drawn by his intense desire to learn the truth behind his lovers disappearance. The truth is more sinister than he dared imagine.

The holy shit moment:  I saw this film after seeing the Jeff Bridges/Keifer Sutherland movie.  I really liked the American remake.  I found Jeff Bridges to be scary AF because he was a normal guy who just wanted to see what he could get away with,  I read all the poo-pooers who said the remake sucked and the original was so much better.  The original is better but I still think the remake is well done.  The scene that kicks you in the gut is when Rex, who has been searching for his girlfriend for 3 years, finally finds the man who has abducted her.  But his obsession to find out what happened to her outweighs his thirst for vengeance.  The only way her abductor will show him what happened to her is if he agrees to get knocked out.  He does, and he wakes up in a coffin.  Then the movie basically ends.  It's disturbing on so many levels.  

Trivia:  Entertainment Weekly ranked this as the 25th scariest movie of all time.

According to director George Sluizer, director Stanley Kubrick called him after seeing The Vanishing (1988) to tell him it was the most terrifying film he had ever seen. He had seen it ten times then, and was impressed by the film's structure and ending, as well as the performance of actress Johanna ter Steege. So impressed, that he was said to have offered her a role in his (uncompleted) film Aryan Papers. Later, Sluizer payed tribute to Kubrick by naming the American remake of the film The Vanishing (1993), a homage to Kubrick's The Shining (1980).

• Like 2

Number 19:  The Conjuring (2013)

MV5BMTM3NjA1NDMyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQz

Starring:  Vera Fermiga, Patrick Wilson, Ron Livingston

Directed by James Wan

Box office:  320M WW

The story:  In 1971, Carolyn and Roger Perron move their family into a dilapidated Rhode Island farm house and soon strange things start happening around it with escalating nightmarish terror. In desperation, Carolyn contacts the noted paranormal investigators, Ed and Lorraine Warren, to examine the house. What the Warrens discover is a whole area steeped in a satanic haunting that is now targeting the Perron family wherever they go. To stop this evil, the Warrens will have to call upon all their skills and spiritual strength to defeat this spectral menace at its source that threatens to destroy everyone involved.

The heart stopping scene:  The hand clapping scene is enough to stop someone's heart.  This was in the trailer and I understand why.  It sold the movie to an audience.  But that didn't take away from what you saw in the theatre. The scene at the top of the steps where two hands clap in Carolyn's ears made me and my audience jump and shriek.  Some things just affect you even if you know it's coming.  

Trivia:  When the movie was shown in the Philippines, some cinemas had to hire Catholic priests to bless the viewers before showing it. This was due to some viewers having reported a "Negative Presence" after watching the film. The priests also provided spiritual and psychological help to the viewers.

The film contains no sex or nudity, little profanity, tame and mostly bloodless violence, and brief depictions of alcohol and no smoking, yet it received an R rating. This was solely for its scare factor alone.

• Like 4

Number 18:  A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

MV5BNzFjZmM1ODgtMDBkMS00NWFlLTg2YmUtZjc3

Starring:  Robert Englund, Heather Langenkamp, Amanda Wyss, John Saxon, Lin Shaye, Johnny Depp

Directed by Wes Craven:  

Box office:  25.5M

The Story:  Nancy is having nightmares about a frightening, badly-scarred figure who wears a glove with razor-sharp "finger knives". She soon discovers that her friends are having similar dreams. When the kids begin to die, Nancy realizes that she must stay awake to survive. Uncovering the secret identity of the dream killer and his connection with the children of Elm Street, the girl plots to draw him out into the real world.

The how did they do that scene:  Tina is killed when she is stalked by Fred Kruger in her dreams.  As she wakes from her nightmare, he is dragged across the ceiling while her boyfriend watches on helplessly.  She is then cut open with his finger knives and blood splashes all over the room.  I can't tell you how awesome and mind blowing this scene was when viewing it in 1984.  This wasn't Star Wars and a special effects extravaganza.  This was a dirt cheap independent horror movie.  I didn't understand how they could drag her across the ceiling.  Incredibly innovative.  Here's how they did it.    

The scene of Tina (Amanda Wyss) thrashing across the ceiling was shot using a rotating room set, which was slowly spun to allow her to roll into position. The camera was bolted to the wall and the cameraman strapped into a chair beside it, which turned in tandem with the room. For the two shots where Rod (Jsu Garcia) and Tina reach for one other as Tina is on the ceiling, she is really lying on the floor and Garcia is upside down with his hair pasted down to stay flat. The effect was so good, that just before shooting began, Wyss got a bad case of vertigo.

Trivia:  In the opening dream, Tina sees and hears lambs. This is a play on the phrase "Like a lamb to the slaughter," a phrase originating in the Bible. It means an innocent and helpless creatures that is unknowingly in danger, an apt description of Tina and her friends.

Wes Craven had helped Sean S. Cunningham by working on a few shots for Friday the 13th (1980). In turn, Cunningham directed a few shots near the end of the production of this movie, when several units were working at once.

• Like 4

Number 17:  Saw (2004)

fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1

Starring:  Danny Glover, Carey Elwes, Tobin Bell

Directed by James Wan

Box office: 103.9M WW

The story:  A engineer serial killer entices victims into playing games where only the victor can survive Jigsaw's sadistic schemes. Two men, trapped in a room with a dead body, are desperately trying to escape their predicament and outsmart the other, or suffer Jigsaw's punishment.

The holy shit scene:  Tow men are in a room together.  They are chained to the premises.  A dead body is in the middle of the room.  They have been getting instructions from a voice somewhere close by.  When one of them finally does the unthinkable and cuts off his own foot to escape, the supposed dead body rises from the floor.  That man is Jigsaw.  It's a moment that no one saw coming.  NO ONE. It scared the stuffing out of me and it makes you want to see the film again.

Trivia:  The film was originally intended for a straight-to-video release. After positive screenings, it was given the nod to become a premier film.

The film's screenplay was written in 2001 as a calling card for director James Wan and Leigh Whannell trying to break into Hollywood. They shot a low-budget short based on a scene in the film, and this proved successful enough to attract the attention of Evolution Entertainment. They immediately formed a horror genre arm called Twisted Pictures and gave Wan and Whannell a small budget.

The film's screenplay was written in 2001 as a calling card for director James Wan and Leigh Whannell trying to break into Hollywood. They shot a low-budget short based on a scene in the film, and this proved successful enough to attract the attention of Evolution Entertainment. They immediately formed a horror genre arm called Twisted Pictures and gave Wan and Whannell a small budget.

• Like 3

Thanks for doing these baumer. I'll have lots to say in time but am having an ultra busy couple of weeks at work.

Glad to see Martyrs representation. I know it's divisive to a degree but I maintain it's one of the most important horror movies of the 2000s.

Saw was well timed for me. I was 21 and having been a timid kid was heading towards being fully formed in my horror tastes. I knew it wasn't 100% for me, but it was one of the first in the cinema I really got my teeth into in terms of analysis and looking at techniques and structure, without being offput by the gore.

I promise to rewatch The Final Chapter in your honour. Maybe I'll see something different this time.

Misery is one of the few horror films/works that works 100% perfectly on stage without any adaptation or immersive elements, which is a tribute to how contained, engrossing and intimate a story it is.

• Thanks 1

@Ipickthiswhiterose no worries buddy comments more whenever you feel like it, I love reading what you have to say about horror movies.

And it's okay if we have different opinions on certain subgenres of slasher movies. I'm probably about 15 years older than you so I would have been 10 maybe 12 years old when I saw the Friday the 13th and the Halloween's and The Nightmare on Elm Streets in the '80s. Those are my formative years and I grew to appreciate them immensely. Not everybody likes slashers not everybody likes The Exorcist not everybody likes martyrs and that's totally cool.

• Like 1

Number 16:  The Sixth Sense (1999)

MV5BMWM4NTFhYjctNzUyNi00NGMwLTk3NTYtMDIy

Starring:  Bruce Willis, Haley Joel Osment, Toni Collette

Directed by:  M. Night Shyamalan

Box office:  672.6M WW

The Story:  Malcom Crowe is a child psychologist who receives an award on the same night that he is visited by a very unhappy ex-patient. After this encounter, Crowe takes on the task of curing a young boy with the same ills as the ex-patient (Donnie Wahlberg) . This boy "sees dead people". Crowe spends a lot of time with the boy much to the dismay of his wife. Cole's mom is at her wit's end with what to do about her son's increasing problems. Crowe is the boy's only hope.

One of the biggest holy shit moments of all time:  M. Night said that he was never sure the film was going to work until he saw it with an audience the first time.  He thought he made it way too obvious that Malcolm was dead.  In the scene where Cole tells Malcolm that he sees dead people, to Night, that was the dead give away....and yet none of us picked up on it.  Every trick is used to keep us believing that Malcolm is still alive, until we find out at the end that he is very much dead.  It's one of the biggest mind fuck jobs in film history.  

Trivia:  Reportedly, Haley Joel Osment got the role of Cole Sear for one of three reasons. First, he was best for it. Second, he was the only boy at auditions who wore a tie. Third, director M. Night Shyamalan was surprised when he asked Osment if he read his part. Osment replied, "I read it three times last night." Shyamalan was impressed, saying, "Wow, you read your part three times?" To which Osment replied, "No, I read the script three times."

According to Michael Cera, this was the first film that he ever auditioned for. He read for the part of Cole, and the scene he did was the Magic Trick scene, but he later admitted that he did it too cheerfully; he had not read the entire script, so he didn't know that Cole was supposed to be an introverted and quiet boy.

• Like 5