baumer

Baumer's 60 best Holy Bleep moments in horror movie history 3) The Changeling 2) Blair Witch 1) Sleepaway Camp

Number 15:  City of the Living Dead (1980)

MV5BMTMzOTU0OTk5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDI3

Starring Christopher George, Catriona MacColl, Carlo de Mejo

Directed by Lucio Fulci

Box office:  NA

My rating:  9.5/10 (My favourite Italian horror film)

The story:  In the small New England town of Dunwich, a priest commits suicide by hanging himself in the church cemetery which somehow opens the gates of hell allowing the dead to rise. Peter, a New York City reporter, teams up with a young psychic, named Mary, to travel to the town where they team up with another couple, psychiatrist Jerry and patient Sandra, to find a way to close the gates before All Saints Day or the dead all over the world will rise up and kill the living.

The holy shit scene:  Fulci is the master of sick and grotesque ways of killing his characters. There's a drill to the head scene in this film where it actually made me wonder if the actor was still alive.  It looked too real.  But the scene that makes this list is when a woman is possessed by a demon and she then throws up her intestines, slowly and graphically while her eyes bleed and her boyfriend looks on in disgust.  This was my first Fulci film and I fell in love with him and his style at the age of 12.  This is one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen on film.  And I love it.

Trivia:  For Daniela Doria's death scene, in which her character vomits up her internal organs, the actress swallowed and regurgitated a plate of tripe. In closeups a fake head was used, which contained a pump that spewed the organs out more forcefully.

The scene where the window opens wide and lots of maggots fly in was filmed with the help of two wind machines and 22 pounds (10 kg) of actual maggots.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, baumer said:

@Ipickthiswhiterose no worries buddy comments more whenever you feel like it, I love reading what you have to say about horror movies.

And it's okay if we have different opinions on certain subgenres of slasher movies. I'm probably about 15 years older than you so I would have been 10 maybe 12 years old when I saw the Friday the 13th and the Halloween's and The Nightmare on Elm Streets in the '80s. Those are my formative years and I grew to appreciate them immensely. Not everybody likes slashers not everybody likes The Exorcist not everybody likes martyrs and that's totally cool.

Age really does play a huge part in taste, alongside nostalgia. Hence why I adore 90’s films and slashers. 

• Like 1

#14 The Last House on the Left (1972)

LastHousePoster.jpg

Starring David Hess, Sandra Peaboy, Lucy Grantham, Martin Kove

Directed by Wes Craven

Box office:  NA

My rating:  9/10 (without a doubt the most disturbing film I've ever seen)

The story:  To celebrate her seventeenth birthday, Mari Collingwood, and her best friend, Phyllis Stone, head to the city for a concert, much to the concern of Mari's parents. And before long, after a fateful encounter with sadistic serial killer Krug Stillo's gang of drug-addled psychopaths, a long night of humiliation, degradation, torture, and rape awaits. Eventually, after having their way with the unfortunate girls, the brutal tormentors unknowingly find refuge in the home of one of their victims, and a different kind of hell begins, triggering a new cycle of violence defined by the ambrosial taste of vengeance. What happened behind the closed doors of the last house on the left?

The disturbing scene:  When advertised, the voice over says, "TO AVOID FAINTING, KEEP REPEATING, IT'S ONLY A MOVIE."  And truer words have never been uttered in a trailer.  This movie affected me.  The violence in this film feels real.  In the modern slasher, like Halloween and Friday the 13th, the violence is real but they look like Hollywood productions.  This one doesn't.  This looks like someone followed around these crazy lunatics while they kidnap and rape and torture these two young female virgins.  There's a half a dozen scenes in here that make you wince and cringe and close your eyes.  But none is more disturbing than the disembowelment scene where the villains repeatedly stab Marie until she is mostly dead and then they pull her intestines out.  It's just a vicious and repulsive as it sounds.  The main villain here is named Krug and then of course 12 years Later, Wes Craven would created Freddy Krueger.  Craven was bullied as a kid by a boy with the last name Krug.  Bless him for tormenting Craven because years later he would harness all of that to give us some masterpieces.  

Trivia:  When this movie was first released in '72, most critics found it disturbing. However, Roger Ebert gave it 3 and half stars and he got letters from people asking him how he could possibly support a movie like this.

Due to his size Martin Kove was originally up for the role of Krug. However he declined it in favor of the smaller comedic Deputy role, and suggested his friend David Hess for the role instead. Hess wore extra padded clothes for the audition but was given the role anyway, as well as being offered the music score.

• Like 2

Number 13:  The Purge (2013)

MV5BMTQzNTcwODEyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjM1

Starring:  Ethan Hawke, Leana Heady, Mark Burkholder

Directed by James Demonaco

Box office:  89.2M

My rating:  7.5/10

The story:  In an America wracked by crime and overcrowded prisons, the government has sanctioned an annual 12-hour period in which any and all criminal activity-including murder-becomes legal. The police can't be called. Hospitals suspend help. It's one night when the citizenry regulates itself without thought of punishment. On this night plagued by violence and an epidemic of crime, one family wrestles with the decision of who they will become when a stranger comes knocking. When an intruder breaks into James Sandin's (Ethan Hawke) gated community during the yearly lockdown, he begins a sequence of events that threatens to tear a family apart. Now, it is up to James, his wife, Mary (Lena Headey), and their kids to make it through the night without turning into the monsters from whom they hide.

The big moment:  There's just something awesome about hearing the Emergency Broadcast System coming on for the first time in this movie.  This isn't a moment of violence, no bloody terror, no limbs getting chopped off or frozen and skinned and nothing overly scary about this.  This is just horror history.  I'd never seen anything like this before where a nation not only condones but makes it legal for 12 hours to commit all crimes including rape and murder.  The siren, the voice, the commencement.  It's just all so perfect and when you hear that sound, now you just know it's from The Purge.  

Trivia:  Ethan Hawke is an old friend of producer Jason Blum and director James DeMonaco, and was happy to appear in The Purge to give their low-budget movie some star-power. As usual in Blum's productions, cast and crew work for scale and receive a percentage of the profits, if any. Hawke reportedly received only $3000 upfront, but due to the movie's worldwide success and the back-end profits, he has probably received more money for this film than for any other in his career.

James DeMonaco, director and writer of the film, got the idea for the story after his wife made a remark about an episode he had with road rage.

• Like 1

Number 12:  The Wicker Man (1973)

46806_aa.jpg

Starring:  Christopher Lee, Edward Woodward, Diane Cilento

Directed by:  Robin Hardy

Box office:  162K

My rating:  9/10

The story:  Sergeant Neil Howie arrives on a Scottish island looking for a missing teenage girl, Rowan Morrison. The place belongs to Lord Summerisle and is famous because of their plantation of apples and other fruits and their harvest. Sgt. Howie realizes that the locals are pagans, practicing old rituals, and Rowan is probably alive and being prepared to be sacrificed. The end of the story is a tragic surprise.

The OH MY GOSH scene:  For those who have seen Midsommar, you have undoubtedly heard the comparisons to Wicker Man.  The two films share the same DNA.  At the end of Midsommar, there is a sacrifice of the boyfriend and it is done by fire.  In Wicker Man, Sgt Howie is a devout Catholic and he doesn't believe in the customs the patrons of the island practice.  There's a lot of free love, open relationships and partying and just general looseness.  He never clues in that his fate is not just to be made fun of and to never find what he is looking for but to be sacrificed in the Wicker Man, a giant wicker statue where all kinds of animals are sacrificed by fire to whatever pagan Gods these heathens worship.  As he starts to roast, the islanders are singing in glee and he begins reciting some Catholic hymn.  It's one of the most shocking endings to a horror film from my perspective.

Trivia:  Sir Christopher Lee said that he considers this to be one of his greatest ever roles.

In between takes of Britt Ekland's nude dance scene, she was covered with a towel, which Gary Carpenter had to remove every time they filmed. "It's the weirdest job I've ever had, but certainly not the most unpleasant."

• Like 1

Number 11:  Psycho (1960)

1200px-Psycho_(1960)_theatrical_poster_(

Starring:  Anthony Perkins, Janet Leigh, Vera Miles

Directed by Alfred Hitchcock

Box office:  32M

The story:  Phoenix office worker Marion Crane is fed up with the way life has treated her. She has to meet her lover Sam in lunch breaks, and they cannot get married because Sam has to give most of his money away in alimony. One Friday, Marion is trusted to bank forty thousand dollars by her employer. Seeing the opportunity to take the money and start a new life, Marion leaves town and heads towards Sam's California store. Tired after the long drive and caught in a storm, she gets off the main highway and pulls into the Bates Motel. The motel is managed by a quiet young man called Norman who seems to be dominated by his mother.

The holy shit moment:  By now you have seen the shower scene a hundred times.  This film is 80 years old and is generally considered the birth of the modern slasher.  Norman isn't quite like Jason and Michael but he is crazy and he did use a giant knife to murder a young woman in the shower.  By today's standards, this scene looks tame.  By 1960 standards, it rocked a nation.  Hitchcock knew he had something special on his hands and he even made a list of demands to theatre owners they had to agree on before he would left them show the film.  By killing off his star in the first 30 minutes of movie, he knew that wasn't something people would expect so he told the theatres owners that once the curtain went up no one would be permitted to come in.  The scene of course that shocked everyone was the shower scene.  It was beautifully shot, expertly directed and had so many screams that some movie patrons were horrified.  

Trivia:  Director Sir Alfred Hitchcock was so pleased with the score written by Bernard Herrmann that he doubled the composer's salary to $34,501. Hitchcock later said, "Thirty-three percent of the effect of Psycho was due to the music."

When the cast and crew began work on the first day, they had to raise their right hands and promise not to divulge one word of the story. Sir Alfred Hitchcock also withheld the ending part of the script from his cast until he needed to shoot it.

• Like 4

This brings us to the top ten and I'll get some done tonight.  

The top ten are some of my favourite moments from horror and they are downright disturbing/scary/heart-stopping imo.

Here's the ones listed so far:

60) The Exorcist III

59) Se7en

58) Jaws 2

57) The Terrifier

56) Zombie

55) The Mist

54) Black Cat

53) The Hitcher

52) The Mothman Prophecies

51) The Exorcist 

50)  Scream

49) The Hills Have Eyes

48) The Invisible Man

47) Pet Sematary

46) Friday the 13th Part III

45) An American Werewolf in London

44) The Brood

43) Signs

42) Candyman

41) The Omen

40) The Devil's Rejects

39) Get Out

38) Final Destination

37) Angel Heart

36) Near Dark

35) I Spit on Your Grave (2010)

34) When a Stranger Calls (1979)

33) Frankenstein (1931)

32) The Thing (1982)

31) Men Behind the Sun

30) Martyr's (2008)

29)  The Evil Dead (1981)

28)  Poltergeist (1982)

27)  The Conjuring 2

26)  The Descent

25)  It Follows

24)  Misery

23)  IT

22)  Friday the 13th the Final Chapter

21)  Aliens

20)  The Vanishing (1988)

19) The Conjuring

18) A Nightmare on Elm Street

17)  Saw

16)  The Sixth Sense

15)  City of the Living Dead

14) Last House on the Left (1972)

13) The Purge

12) The Wicker Man (1973)

11) Psycho (1960)

Number 10:  The Ring (2002)

220px-Theringpostere.jpg

Starring:  Naomi Watts, Martin Henderson, Brian Cox

Directed by Gore verbinski

Box office  249.3M WW

My rating:  10/10

The Story:  A mysterious video tape is killing off anyone who watches it. Whenever the victim watches it, the phone rings, telling them they have only one week to live. A young reporter named Rachel is investigating these events, but after she and her small son watch the tape, it becomes a race against time to find out why the tape is killing everyone and how it could be stopped.

The holy shit scene:  Rachael thinks she has stopped the evil spirit and broken the curse by finding the body of Samara at the bottom of the well.  When her son tells her she never should have taken the body out of the well because is very bad, the final punch in the guy occurs.  When I saw the Ring at the theatre for about the fifth time, I saw it with a friend.  When Samara comes out of the TV, he was so shocked and frightened (his words) that he got up and said HELL FUCKING NO.  And he almost left.  I persuaded him to stay until the end but he said that was the most frightened he'd ever been watching a movie.  It scared the hell out of me too.  It's one of the biggest WTF moments in cinematic history imo.

Trivia:  Gore Verbinski deliberately chose not to cast major stars as any of the main or supporting characters, as he wanted the film to be discovered by audiences. Naomi Watts, Martin Henderson and Amber Tamblyn would receive retroactive recognition for this film.

One of producer Walter F. Parkes' executives rang him and told him to immediately go see a Japanese horror film called Ringu (1998). Parkes took his producing partner Laurie MacDonald to a 4pm showing. By the time the film ended, they were already on the phone, optioning the remake rights.

• Like 5

Number 9:  Halloween (1978)

41yzEOzjm8L._AC_.jpg

Starring:  Jamie Lee Curtis, Donald Pleasance, PJ Soles, Charles Cyphers

Directed by:  John Carpenter

Box office:  47M

My rating:  10/10

The Story:  The year is 1963, the night: Halloween. Police are called to 43 Lampkin Ln. only to discover that 15 year old Judith Myers has been stabbed to death, by her 6 year-old brother, Michael. After being institutionalized for 15 years, Myers breaks out on the night before Halloween. No one knows, nor wants to find out, what will happen on October 31st 1978 besides Myers' psychiatrist, Dr. Loomis. He knows Michael is coming back to Haddonfield, but by the time the town realizes it, it'll be too late for many people.

The holy shit scene:  Halloween seems so simple.  A masked killer kills a bunch of teens.  But it's the dynamic duo of John Carpenter and at the time current girlfriend and future wife Debra Hill who created something very special.  Carpenter of course directed and wrote some of the script but Hill wrote most of the dialogue for the young girls so that we could get to know them and relate to them.  This makes the killings so much more effective because they feel personal.  Carpenter however is responsible for scaring the hell out of us.  His use of shadows, his ear for music and his timing, oh my lord his timing.  The scene that had audiences terrified and screaming in terror is one that has been used in 1000's of horror movies since.  The supposed dead killer rises unexpectedly to continue his reign of terror.  But Carpenter does this scene so that Myers is in the background.  I think I almost screamed watching this scene for the first time at the age of 12.  So simple and so effective.

Trivia:  John Carpenter considered the hiring of Jamie Lee Curtis as the ultimate tribute to Alfred Hitchcock who had given her mother, Janet Leigh, legendary status in Psycho (1960). During the same period, Universal studio producers and director Richard Franklin were trying to enroll Jamie Lee in the new production of Psycho II (1983).

John Carpenter approached Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee to play the role of Dr. Sam Loomis (that was eventually played by Donald Pleasence), but both turned him down due to the low pay. Lee later said it was the biggest mistake he had ever made in his career.

Audience reaction

• Like 5

Number 8:  The Shining (1980)

220px-The_Shining_(1980)_U.K._release_po

Starring Jack Nicholson, Shelly Duval, Scatman Crothers, Danny Lloyd

Directed by Stanley Kubrick

Box office:  46.9M

The story:  Haunted by a persistent writer's block, the aspiring author and recovering alcoholic, Jack Torrance, drags his wife, Wendy, and his gifted son, Danny, up snow-capped Colorado's secluded Overlook Hotel after taking up a job as an off-season caretaker. As the cavernous hotel shuts down for the season, the manager gives Jack a grand tour, and the facility's chef, the ageing Mr Hallorann, has a fascinating chat with Danny about a rare psychic gift called "The Shining", making sure to warn him about the hotel's abandoned rooms, and, in particular, the off-limits Room 237. However, instead of overcoming the dismal creative rut, little by little, Jack starts losing his mind, trapped in an unforgiving environment of seemingly endless snowstorms, and a gargantuan silent prison riddled with strange occurrences and eerie visions.

The holy shit scene:  For a movie that moves deliberately slow in the first half, you might be shocked to see maybe 3 or 4 really shocking moments.  Everyone's favourite of course is the twins Danny sees while on his Big Wheel.  Those two little girls caused me to cover my eyes.  COME PLAY WITH US DANNY.  It didn't help that they were literally speaking to me as me and Danny share the same name.  The ocean of blood, HERE'S JOHNNY and a few others could be mentioned here.  But the holy shit scene that sent shivers through me was the REDRUM scene.  Wendy is sleeping and Danny slowly starts chanting REDRUM.  He grabs a large kitchen knife, lipstick and then writes it on the wall.  Wendy wakes to him chanting the words and then she looks in the mirror and REDRUM backwards is MURDER.  This is the beginning of Jack coming to kill his family.  Kubrick directs the hell of out this scene and the music is terrifying.  

Trivia:  Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall have expressed open resentment against the reception of this film, feeling that critics and audiences credited Stanley Kubrick solely for the film's success without considering the efforts of the actors, crew, or the strength of Stephen King's underlying material. Nicholson and Duvall have said that the film was one of the hardest of their careers. In fact, Nicholson considers Duvall's performance the most difficult role he's ever seen an actress take on. Duvall also considers her performance the hardest of her life.

There were so many changes to the script during shooting that Jack Nicholson claimed he stopped reading it. He would read only the new pages that were given to him each day.

• Like 4

Number 7:  Alien (1979)

MV5BMmQ2MmU3NzktZjAxOC00ZDZhLTk4YzEtMDMy

Starring:  Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerritt, John Hurt

Directed by Ridley Scott

Box office:  106.2M WW

The story:  In the distant future, the crew of the commercial spaceship Nostromo are on their way home when they pick up a distress call from a distant moon. The crew are under obligation to investigate and the spaceship descends on the moon afterwards. After a rough landing, three crew members leave the spaceship to explore the area on the moon. At the same time as they discover a hive colony of some unknown creature, the ship's computer deciphers the message to be a warning, not a distress call. When one of the eggs is disturbed, the crew realizes that they are not alone on the spaceship and they must deal with the consequences.

The iconic holy shit moment:  Is there a more famous scene in horror than the chest bursting scene?  I can watch this scene today, some 40+ years later and still get queasy.  It's a testament to how innovative it was for the time and how it stands the test of time.  After what seemed to be a successful removal of a xenomorphic substance from his face, the crew are now sitting down for a joyous meal.  There's laughing and joking and lots of banter.  Then suddenly things change and it looks like he's choking before finally an alien bursts through his chest.  It's horrifying and something that had never really been seen before.

Trivia:  To get Jones the cat to react fearfully to the descending Alien, a German Shepherd was placed in front of him with a screen between the two, so the cat wouldn't see it at first. The screen was then suddenly removed to make Jones stop advancing and start hissing.

It was conceptual artist Ron Cobb who came up with the idea that the Alien should bleed acid. This came about when Dan O'Bannon ran into a wall with the screenplay in how to handle the last half of the movie. He needed a good reason for why the crew members don't just shoot the thing and kill it but still not make it an indestructible monster that can't be killed. The acid blood was the idea that solved this problem.

• Like 5

Number 6:  JAWS (1975)

51AsdOTpOHL._AC_.jpg

Starring:  Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss, Murray Hamilton and Robert Shaw

Directed by Steven Spielberg

Box office:  460M WW

My rating:  10.5/10 (the best there is the best there was and the best there ever will be)

The story:  A Great White Shark decides to make the small beach resort town of Amity his private feeding grounds. This greatly frustrates the town police chief who wants to close the beaches to chase the shark away. He is thwarted in his efforts by the town's mayor who finally relents when nothing else seems to work and the chief, a scientist, and an old fisherman with revenge on his mind take to the sea to kill the beast.

The jump out of your seat moment:  Spielberg had the film wrapped and he was editing it with Verna Fields (who would go to win an oscar for the editing on this film).  He said he knew the film was good but he wanted one more huge scare to get the audience.  He had the idea to tinker with the Ben Gardner's boat scene.  He thought he could get one more pulse pounding scare.  The film had already gone over budget and Universal would not give him another dollar.  So off he and Fields went to her house and in her backyard pool they filmed the now iconic  Ben Gardner's head scene.  Spielberg even paid for it out of his own pocket.  Now in the context of the movie and the next scene on the beach with the mayor, that scene doesn't make sense.  But Spielberg got what  he wanted.  He got the audience to scream and holler and jump out of their seats.  One of the reasons this scene works so well is because you keep expecting the shark to show up, no one is worried about a head popping out of the hull of the boat.

Trivia: According to writer Carl Gottlieb, the line "You're gonna need a bigger boat" was not scripted, but was ad-libbed by Roy Scheider.

According to The Making of 'Jaws' (1995) documentary, the shooting star that appears during the night scene where Brody loads his revolver was real, not an optical effect. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the list so far Baumer, very interesting reading some of the background/behind the scenes of these horror movies. I've gotten more into horror this past year after discovering the great youtube channel Dead Meat, and I was surprised how many of these I'd recognised!

Looking forward to the top 5 - think I can guess number 2 at least.

• Thanks 1