titanic2187

Ghostbusters 2021 weekend Nov 19-21: Afterlife $44M OW | E: $10.8m | RD: $8.1m

15 minutes ago, Eric Venkman said:

I mean it's only going to open to like 45M. It would need absurdly good WOM to achieve 4 weeks at #1

It would need a higher than expected opening and crazy word of mouth for 2 weeks at #1 tbh. Isn't Encanto tracking for 35-40M or something?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It would need a higher than expected opening and crazy word of mouth for 2 weeks at #1 tbh. Isn't Encanto tracking for 35-40M or something?

Something like that, but I do think Encanto might go above it. Sales are pretty decent so far, with preview numbers estimating around the Coco/Moana range. It'll probably be more frontloaded than those films to account for the passage of time, but it should still go above Afterlife's second weekend.

• Like 1

As someone who haven't seen Ghostbusters Afterlife, I'm a bit skeptical on it becoming the WOM monster some members are expecting, just based on the critics score on Rotten Tomatoes. We're talking about the same people who gave Free Guy an 80%, they are not that picky. I see no reason G.A. wouldn't be sitting on a 92%+ critics score if it was really the great crowdpleasing movie of the year.

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

As someone who haven't seen Ghostbusters Afterlife, I'm a bit skeptical on it becoming the WOM monster some members are expecting, just based on the critics score on Rotten Tomatoes. We're talking about the same people who gave Free Guy an 80%, they are not that picky. I see no reason G.A. wouldn't be sitting on a 92%+ critics score if it was really the great crowdpleasing movie of the year.

It’s got a better critic score than Sony’s last big opener… which is about to claim the pandemic 8th weekend record (and probably 9th too).

Edited by Eternal Legion
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Aren't you one of those guys who complains about how critics always get things wrong and they don't understand what audiences want? Why the sudden change?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5