Eric Atreides

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND THREAD | Encanto v Gucci v Resi Evil | Sales available on the first page | We're all gonna die of sadness not COVID

15 minutes ago, Flopped said:

LMAO this is so true. No wonder the public rejected it. Twitter has demystified critics now that you can see their likes, dislikes, bad taste and biases. 

Sometime you have to judge acting by its context. Maybe this is a scene  require Stewart to act in a way that she was trying to act like a normal lady but ended up acting awkwardly in front of the commoners. Therefore the acting give out some SNL vibe but still could make sense for this scene she was in   

1 hour ago, picores said:

Around 40m 5-day for Encanto can be considered a success. 

Haven't all the animated kids' movies since the pandemic made like $50-60m total at the domestic box office? Was there some reason Encanto was realistically supposed to make more than that in one holiday weekend? Just having the biggest animated OW since Covid would be a win IMO.

If the HoG number is really just 400K off the Knives Out previews, that really isn't bad, though time will tell if that's frontloaded with her fanbase.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Haven't all the animated kids' movies since the pandemic made like $50-60m total at the domestic box office? Was there some reason Encanto was realistically supposed to make more than that in one holiday weekend? Just having the biggest animated OW since Covid would be a win IMO.

Yep, the biggest pure family flick of the COVID era is still Space Jam 2 with $70M (titles like Cruella and Jungle Cruise don't count despite sporting the Disney Seal of Approval since they were PG-13). A lot of the marketplace is still very much in recovery mode and was never going to return to normal overnight.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Flopped said:

LMAO this is so true. No wonder the public rejected it. Twitter has demystified critics now that you can see their likes, dislikes, bad taste and biases. 

Only millennials could start a movie and then decide it to be worth trying to get cred out of within ten minutes on social media, rather than just watch the thing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eric Madrigal said:

That's my big issue right there, I can only see a 5-day IM of like 25-27x to account for overall frontloadedness in the market, and that would lead to ~40M for the 5-day. It would still beat out Space Jam 2 as the biggest kids title for the year, but it still shows a lot of hesitancy/possible disinterest amongst families over moviegoing IMO

I agree, but...

This movie is not the "all star" attractor that other animated Disney movies have been on this weekend.  It looked like a more "cliche and been done" concept according to my kids...and there is Clifford (which is newer, albeit not good), Ghostbusters, and Sing 2's preview (which honestly looks like the most all age family friendly)...

And yes, still not enough families going yet, who now have 4 options this weekend.  That's gonna split the audience that is there and you'll get ho hum numbers...

45 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

If the HoG number is really just 400K off the Knives Out previews, that really isn't bad, though time will tell if that's frontloaded with her fanbase.

1. Disney movies of all types tend to have a base adult fan that attends (more than just families)

2. Thanksgiving weekend

3. Covid lull

4. Start of kid vaccinations

5. No day and date

So, yes, it was supposed to do better for a lot of reasons...and it will...just not as well as folks or its production budget (aka the Disney bean counters:) probably want...

18 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Only millennials could start a movie and then decide it to be worth trying to get cred out of within ten minutes on social media, rather than just watch the thing. 

Yeh anyone that is on their phone while watching a film, even at home: huge red flag. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

This just crushed even my last interest to see Spencer. That doesn't feel at all the Diana I remember but total overacting 😲 I know, I shouldn't judge by a short clip... but still...

Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

• Knock It Off 2

10 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

This just crushed even my last interest to see Spencer. That doesn't feel at all the Diana I remember but total overacting 😲 I know, I shouldn't judge by a short clip... but still...

You should watch it. It's good

• Like 1

Spider-Man: No Way Home is Most Anticipated Movie of the Holiday Season, According to Marcus Theatres Survey

It was followed closely in second place by Ghostbusters: Afterlife

The remainder of the top five includes Warner Bros.’ The Matrix: Resurrections (named on 49% of lists), Disney/20th Century Studios’ The King’s Man (45%) and Universal/Illumination’s Sing 2 (43%).

Survey respondents live in Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Georgia, Louisiana, New York, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia and Wisconsin.

46 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

1. Disney movies of all types tend to have a base adult fan that attends (more than just families)

2. Thanksgiving weekend

3. Covid lull

4. Start of kid vaccinations

5. No day and date

So, yes, it was supposed to do better for a lot of reasons...and it will...just not as well as folks or its production budget (aka the Disney bean counters:) probably want...

Encanto is Disney but not exactly Frozen 3,  and the 5-11 vaccines haven't been happening that long. It's still 2 shots and some time before full immunity, and there are still families with kids younger than that. I just figured it would be like other genres, the "highest OW since the pandemic" gradually kept increasing, from the $30m milestone to $40m to $50m and then we got to $90m eventually. Maybe the family demo has also gotten used to day-and-date, but IMO the biggest opening for a kids' movie in almost 2 years isn't a reason to get discouraged.

48 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

The lesson I learned from this: don't let yourself get carried away by what Twitter has to say. I bet Nicole Kidman as Lucy will end up being better.