Eric Atreides

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND THREAD | Encanto v Gucci v Resi Evil | Sales available on the first page | We're all gonna die of sadness not COVID

https://deadline.com/2021/11/encanto-house-of-gucci-resident-evil-thanksgiving-box-office-1234880192/

Encanto 3-day of $32.9M and 5-day of $46.6M.

Of all the movies that had the best holds in the top 10 on Thanksgiving day, it was Sony’s Ghostbusters: Afterlife which is estimated to have made $5.4M, even Wednesday. Even though Disney isn’t crushing it like they typically do over Thanksgiving with an animated movie, between Ghostbusters: Afterlife and Encanto, you can’t say families aren’t going to the movie. The Jason Reitman-directed movie’s second weekend now stands at $26.6M, -40%, with a 5-day of $37.2M, and running total of $90M, which puts it 4% ahead of Paul Feig’s Ghostbusters through ten days, natch, the holiday helping.

MGM/UAR’s House of Gucci saw $3.39M in day 2, -19% from its opening day on its way to a revised $15.4M 3-day, $23M 5-day.

Sony/Screen Gems/Constantin’s Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City saw an estimated $1M in 5th place, -60% from Wednesday, for a revised and lowered 3-day and 5-day of $4.58M and $8M. Note, Sony always saw this poorly reviewed movie from audiences and critics between $8M-$10M over 5-days.

Edited by von Kenni
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Full Deadline current chart...

"

1.) Encanto (Dis) 3,980 theaters, Wed $7.5M/Thurs $5.8M/ 3-day $32.9M, 5-day $46.6M/Wk 1

2.) Ghostbusters: Afterlife (Sony) 4,315 theaters, Wed $5.4M (+16% from Tuesday)/Thurs $5.3M/3-day: $26.6M (-40%)/5-day $37.2M/Total: $90M/Wk 2

3.) House of Gucci (UAR/MGM) 3,441 theaters, Wed. $4.2M/Thurs $3.39M/3-day $15.4M, 5-day $23M/Wk 1

4.) Eternals (Dis) 3,165 (-890) theaters, Wed $1.9M (+12%)/Thurs $1.6M/3-day $7.4M (-33%), 5-day $10.7M/Total $150.1M/Wk 4

5.)Resident Evil: Raccoon City (Sony) 2,803 theaters, Wed. $2.5M/Thurs $1M/3-day $4.58M, 5-day $8M/Wk 1

6.) Clifford the Big Red Dog (Par) 3,331 (-297) theaters, Wed $1.3M (0%)/Thurs $725K/3-day $3.6M (-55%)/5-day $5.67M/Total $41.6M/Wk 3

7.)King Richard (WB) 3,302 theaters, Wed $639K (-7%)/Thurs $805K/3-day $3.6M (-33%)/5-day $5M/Total $11.65M/Wk 2

8.) Dune (WB/Leg) 1,312 (-1,155) theaters, Wed $493K (+3%)/Thurs $400K/3-day $2.26M (-29%), 5-day $3.2M/ Total $102.4M/Wk 6

9.) No Time to Die (UAR) 1,342 (-1,065) theaters, Wed $366K (-13%)/Thurs $427K/3-day $2M (-26%), 5-day: $2.8M/Total $158.4M/Wk 8

10.) Venom: Let There Be Carnage (Sony) 1,537 (-693) theaters, Wed $335K (+2%), Thurs $285K, 3-day $1.52M (-48%), 5-day: $2.2M/ Total $209.5M/Wk 9

11.) Belfast (Foc) 1,128 (+544) theaters, Wed $170K (+36%),Thurs $150K/ 3-day $800K (-15%), 5-day: $1.1M/Total $4.8M/Wk 3"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CJohn said:

The new South African variant is making all this discussion worthless. We are all gonna die with it. Europe is especially doomed.

You know, I had a discussion with my mother about this a couple of months ago I was really down and out. She told me that when grandpa was young, he thought Germany was going to win the war and everything was gonna be over. And the the 50s they thought the world was going to end cause of nuclear winter. And then during the 70s, with the energy crisis and inflation, she thought everything was going to go to Hell in a handbasket.  And now we’re feeling the same thing. Vaccines for Covid exist. Booster shots exist. They’re trying to develop a pill that you can take like aspirin. Half of my family is unvaccinated, and they got it. And the other half of my family is vaccinated, and one of them got it.

Does this new world we’re living in completely suck? Yes. Is it not going to be fun for a couple years? Absolutely not. But we cannot keep acting like we need to stay inside, in lockdown, and not live our lives.

Circling back to these weekend numbers, we can say it’s Covid all we want, but maybe it’s just that a couple of these movies got mixed reviews, and people thought you know I can wait a little bit to go see it. I no need to rush out.  My aunt wants to go see a House of Gucci, but she doesn’t want to go until next week when it’s going to be less crowded

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Eric Madrigal said:

I’m still baffled by those Thanksgiving Day jumps last year, especially with kids titles like Croods and War with Grandpa. Was it just because there was nothing to do after dinner?

I wonder if there may be some regional thing with box office trends in different states. IIRC NY & CA were closed. Canada was closed as well. 

But this year having strong THU holds is really surprising.

23 minutes ago, Eric Madrigal said:

I’m still baffled by those Thanksgiving Day jumps last year, especially with kids titles like Croods and War with Grandpa. Was it just because there was nothing to do after dinner?

The days of family Black Friday shopping have pretty much ended...so it's football, tv Christmas specials, or movies to keep fams occupied...

We forget for most of the 2000s, stores opened at 4/5pm Thanksgiving (and had morning hours, too)...now, they are closed and no one cares the last 2 years... 

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Hmm. So like is CoVID still changing Thanksgiving trending? If THU drops are soft, friday bumps be lower.

Not necessarily: Could be that Wednesday will prove to be the outlier, a softer day overall, and Thursday-Sunday will still follow the typical Thanksgiving day pattern.

There's an underlying, cyclical trend in grosses that I've been watching, that makes me believe the Black Friday weekend is going to be on the higher end of estimates, so I'll take the over on the +100% Thursday to Friday

• Like 1

I just got the trailer for this before Encanto last night and now they've announced it's bypassing theaters for streaming. Hilarious. Paraflop strikes again! @CJohn

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just got the trailer for this before Encanto last night and now they've announced it's bypassing theaters for streaming. Hilarious. Paraflop strikes again! @CJohn

i remember seeing the trailer for this almost two years ago now in front of sonic.