Eric Duncan

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND THREAD | Encanto v Gucci v Resi Evil | Sales available on the first page | We're all gonna die of sadness not COVID

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i remember seeing the trailer for this almost two years ago now in front of sonic.

Same here. It was odd to me that they would promote a movie coming out a year after the trailer launched. Little did I know this would become a trend

On 11/26/2021 at 1:11 AM, wildphantom said:

Interesting point.  
or it could have been that as many families actually didn’t get together, so more went to the movies. Hard to be sure. 

I think we’ll see somewhere inbetween the usual drop and flat.  But who knows! 

Pretty much spot on but I am worry softer thanksgiving drop is at the expenses of meh Fri bumps. That would be terrible since softer Thursday dip itself should be the compensation for meh Wednesday numbers.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just got the trailer for this before Encanto last night and now they've announced it's bypassing theaters for streaming. Hilarious. Paraflop strikes again! @CJohn

This is the right move. Theatrical business is dead.

I'm not counting out Resident Evil just yet. I see theaters keeping it around just because for many of them, it's their only major horror-adjacent film playing throughout the holiday season. If it can have enough legs to hang in there throughout December, the film could benefit from lack of horror competition.

3 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I'm not counting out Resident Evil just yet. I see theaters keeping it around just because for many of them, it's their only major horror-adjacent film playing throughout the holiday season. If it can have enough legs to hang in there throughout December, the film could benefit from lack of horror competition.

Well the resident evil movies always had frontloaded box office numbers. The fans come out for the weekend and then don't show up for repeat views.

Edited by CrashBandicoot81
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

Not sure why Resident Evil is doing so poorly when it is more like the games than the milla jovovich movies.

I guess i can always blame it on the lack of Lady Dimitrescu 😛

Poor choice in release date (horror and Thanksgiving never mix well together), marketing was largely nonexistent, and it looked DTV quality. An obvious dump on the studio's part.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmnerdjamie said:

A bit confused about that Afterlife drop yesterday.

That would suggest people like it? But how can that be since Film Twitter says it's terrible and people don't really like it?!

Dude your bit's far more tiring than anything Film Twitter has ever said.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

A bit confused about that Afterlife drop yesterday.

That would suggest people like it? But how can that be since Film Twitter says it's terrible and people don't really like it?!

But it was supposed to be #1 until Spider-Man came out. What happened?

Sing 2 is selling out those sneak shows everywhere tomorrow. Future Governor of Texas Koala McConaughey is coming to challenge Spidey Holland's throne for the holidays!

(in all seriousness, due to The Matrix being a simultaneous release, don't think anyone would be surprised if it was easily #2)

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Sing 2 is selling out those sneak shows everywhere tomorrow. Future Governer of Texas Koala McConaughey is coming to challenge Spidey Holland's throne for the holidays!

(in all seriousness, due to The Matrix being a simultaneous release, don't think anyone would be surprised if it was easily #2)

Not impossible it is the second highest grosser of the year domestically. Would need about 230 to do it.

I think there's about a 30 percent chance that No Way Home/Sing 2 and others (not Matrix) are delayed by the end of the week. I'll look to see if Spider-Man is delayed before tickets apparently go on sale on the 29th.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1