Eric Duncan

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND THREAD | Encanto v Gucci v Resi Evil | Sales available on the first page | We're all gonna die of sadness not COVID

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

With all of the cord-cutting going on, I also tend to wonder if the people who complain about "no marketing" actually watch any broadcast/cable TV.

Like, if someone doesn't watch any live sports or other popular entertainment, maybe there's a reason why they think there is "no marketing". There are other forms of ads out there besides viral marketing after all.

And when it comes to online ads, when one considers how much one is at the mercy of the Almighty Algorithm that can be tuned to an individual's preference, one could still miss out on whatever online advertising is going on, even if one doesn't have ad blocking installed.

To give an example, I saw some people complain about "the lack of marketing" for The Last Duel.  Well, all I know is that ads were plastered all over football games and the MLB playoffs. Plenty of marketing was done for that film.  People just didn't care about the product being sold (or how it was sold, perhaps). 

Horse, water, drink.

They only ever watch stuff on streaming and use extensive adblockers online, yet complain that there's "no marketing" for a particular movie, lol. Hollywood hasn't figured out how to beam images to the back of people's eyelids, so until then, people aren't going to see things when they've done everything to shut their eyes to them. It's like having blackout curtains and complaining that there's no sunlight.

Like you, saw all the ads for The Last Duel, but between the premise and Damon/Affleck as medieval knights with unfortunate hair, it just didn't seem like a good time at the movies to enough of the audience. It would've done better pre-pandemic but still a flop, most likely.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

They only ever watch stuff on streaming and use extensive adblockers online, yet complain that there's "no marketing" for a particular movie, lol. Hollywood hasn't figured out how to beam images to the back of people's eyelids, so until then, people aren't going to see things when they've done everything to shut their eyes to them.

Yep.  The closest thing they'll see to "marketing" is viral marketing (ie seeing memes/discussions on Twitter and elsewhere), which admittedly some studios have done better at than others.  Then again, some movies don't lend themselves to memeing/viral marketing.

Or rather, The Last Duel got known viraly as "that medieval rape [revenge] movie" which did it no favors in this current clime.

• Like 1

Belfast (Foc) 1,128 (+544) theaters, Wed $170K (+36%),Thurs $150K/ Fri $380K/Sat $350K/Sun $240k/PTA $860/3-day $970K (+3%), 5-day: $1.3M/Total $4.99M/Wk 3
New York continues to be the top market for the Kenneth Branagh-directed black and white movie, seeing 11% of the weekend followed by Boston (5%), Philly (4.7%), LA (4.5%), and Chicago (4%). Canada is drove close to 10% of the weekend’s gross with Toronto accounting for 2.2% of the weekend. Finale domestic endgame here is looking like $7M.

The French Dispatch (Sea) 450 (-355) theaters, Wed $122K,Thurs $109K/ Fri $235K/Sat $250K/Sun $137k/PTA $1,38K/3-day $622K (-38%), 5-day: $853K /Total $14.4M/Wk 6
The Wes Anderson directed movie which dynamited the specialty box office with $1.3M opening at 52 locations will likely end its stateside run at $16M.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's not?

Well the actual marketing sure as heck didn't focus on that, is more what I am saying.  From what I recall from seeing the actual ads on TV.

Being known as "that medieval rape movie" vs "historical drama (with lots of Hollywood stars)" has a slightly different resonance.  Unless one is going for a Kill Bill type vibe, which this film did not.

I'm rusty with extrapolations but Ghostbusters looks like it's doing pretty well.  Does it have a shot at 125-130?  I'm really looking forward to seeing it when i get a chance.

32 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm rusty with extrapolations but Ghostbusters looks like it's doing pretty well.  Does it have a shot at 125-130?  I'm really looking forward to seeing it when i get a chance.

125-130 looks just right to me, a little lower if the post-TG drop is harsh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Right now, it's 1.9M ahead of GB 2016 pace and that one ended with 128M, so 125M is almost locked.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

definitely going over 130 I would say. More like 135-150

it’s really good. Stayed with me long after I saw it. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Belfast (Foc) 1,128 (+544) theaters, Wed $170K (+36%),Thurs $150K/ Fri $380K/Sat $350K/Sun $240k/PTA $860/3-day $970K (+3%), 5-day: $1.3M/Total $4.99M/Wk 3
New York continues to be the top market for the Kenneth Branagh-directed black and white movie, seeing 11% of the weekend followed by Boston (5%), Philly (4.7%), LA (4.5%), and Chicago (4%). Canada is drove close to 10% of the weekend’s gross with Toronto accounting for 2.2% of the weekend. Finale domestic endgame here is looking like $7M.

The French Dispatch (Sea) 450 (-355) theaters, Wed $122K,Thurs $109K/ Fri $235K/Sat $250K/Sun $137k/PTA $1,38K/3-day $622K (-38%), 5-day: $853K /Total $14.4M/Wk 6
The Wes Anderson directed movie which dynamited the specialty box office with $1.3M opening at 52 locations will likely end its stateside run at $16M.

I was hoping for more than $7M total for Belfast.

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Wonder if the new of the Omicron variant lowered theater attendance this weekend 

This site reads so shit on this Kindle I can't recall if I linked the article in this thread or another but apparently its being reported that the symptoms of omicron aren't quite as severe as other variants

There’s some reason to believe that Omicron is going to hurt a lot of people. 
There’s some reason to believe Omicron won’t be “that bad” relative to other Delta strain.
Regardless…
Get vaxxed and boostered for everyone’s sake so we can watch a lot of movies together. 

39 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Why would it ever do 3.44x its 5 day Thanksgiving total? 

Well knives out did around 4x it’s 5 day total. I don’t think Gucci is going to get anywhere near that but it’s possible if it has good WOM.

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1