Eric Atreides

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND THREAD | Encanto v Gucci v Resi Evil | Sales available on the first page | We're all gonna die of sadness not COVID

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

she’s great in it. As is Cumberbatch, Plemons and Kodi Smit-McPhee. 

Boat load of nominations coming for it. Possibly double figures. 

PotD, Campion, Dunst and Kodi are current betting favs in there categories. Cumberbatch is 2nd fav to win (Will Smith is fav).

7 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

PotD, Campion, Dunst and Kodi are current betting favs in there categories. Cumberbatch is 2nd fav to win (Will Smith is fav).

Cinematography, Screenplay, Editing, Score, Production Design. They’re all ‘in the bag’ noms too. 

What a film. Seriously. 
It’s almost embarrassing it’s on tv next week as it should exclusively adorn theatrical screens through awards season. 

…and yes, I know Netflix are behind it, but it’s just sumptuous pure cinema. 

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Cinematography, Screenplay, Editing, Score, Production Design. They’re all ‘in the bag’ noms too. 

What a film. Seriously. 
It’s almost embarrassing it’s on tv next week as it should exclusively adorn theatrical screens through awards season. 

Hopefully Campion ditches tv and goes back to making films so I can enjoy some more treasures. Jesse Plemons is really on a roll. I remember watching Breaking Bad and thinking how riveting he was.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

What a film. Seriously. 

Watching Hollywood bow down and finally kiss the ring of Hastings and Sarandos has been fun.

They booed Netflix at Cannes. Spielberg said they weren’t cinema. Now look at them.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AJG said:

Watching Hollywood bow down and finally kiss the ring of Hastings and Sarandos has been fun.

They booed Netflix at Cannes. Spielberg said they weren’t cinema. Now look at them.

You would have a point if Netflix actually produced stuff. Almost all of their Oscar movies are acquisitions. The year of Roma vs Green Book was specially so since the same company actually produced both movies.

Netflix is in the acquisition business than the actual production of these movies from the ground up. Their ground up productions are way different.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AJG said:

I mean, they still haven't won the big prize. And very few Netflix movies have crossed over, implying their numbers are BS (supposedly Triple Frontier had 50 mil households viewing it...that's a 500-mil grosser at the box office!). 

They support good filmmakers and produce some great movies, but until they figure out how to create WOM hits with movies outside of Bird Box, Extraction, and a few others, they're going to be the odd man out. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

I mean, they still haven't won the big prize. And very few Netflix movies have crossed over, implying their numbers are BS (supposedly Triple Frontier had 50 mil households viewing it...that's a 500-mil grosser at the box office!). 

Not sure of the implication, look in the olds days red box most rented movies ranking:

2013:

1. Identity Thief

2. The Heat

3. World War Z

4. Flight

5. Olympus Has Fallen

6. Django Unchained

7. Grown Ups 2

8. White House Down

9. Here Comes the Boom

10. Now You See Me

2014:

1. "Captain Phillips"
2. "The Wolf of Wall Street"
3. "22 Jump Street"
4. "The Equalizer"
5. "Divergent"
6. "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire"
7. "Ride Along"
8. "Neighbors"
9. "Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa"
10. "Tammy"

The most from 2002 to 2012:

10. 'Rango'
9. 'The Proposal'
8. 'Zookeeper'
7. 'Bridesmaids'
6. 'Salt'
5. 'Jack and Jill'
4. '21 Jump Street'
3. 'Grown Ups'
2. 'Bad Teacher'
1. 'Just Go With It'

I.E.  no Spider-Man, Nemo, Shrek, Stars Wars, Batman, Avengers, etc... in there. Has you see it is a complete domination of Adam Sandler & Melissa McCarthy ( not too dissimilar to what play really big on Netflix and what Netflix tend to do the most now)

What people are ready to spend $1-2 to watch versus a night in theater is significantly different and ott SVOD is an extreme version of that, some long form content on youtube that make 10 millions views would not sell more than 10 ticket in theater. And by the same token movie with a worth it the price tag are seen before reaching red box by people interested by them. Translating views into some near direct BO equivalent would be total bs and the equivalent of saying that a (not has worst but....) compilation of the most popular video clips would have made 100 billions in theater , but that not what Neflix numbers are saying or anything they imply by them.

Has for Netflix ruining the cinematic experience and the prestige of the Oscars, it is pretty much already all done by now and maybe transferred a bit into Netflix need to save us from the franchise deluge of the rest of the Studios that installed itself

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

Previews are meh (although raccoon city actually a bit better than expected). But quite a common story in the pandemic has been previews on low side+better than expected IM, so I’ll reserve judgement until we see Wed.

Edited by Eternal Legion

By the way Disney planning 20 theatrical releases for FY22 (October 21 through October 22) but subject to change due to COVID. 

Screen-Shot-2021-11-25-at-12-20-33-PM.pn

Important part fo the text: "During fiscal 2022, we expect to release approximately 20 films, although the timing and number of these releases could be impacted by COVID-19, and certain films intended for theatrical release may be made available on our DTC streaming services in certain territories."

From their annual report: https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/us/the_walt_disney_company/SEC/sec-show.aspx?FilingId=15382353&Cik=0001744489&Type=PDF&hasPdf=1

Edit: just realised I cropped the image awful but the header at the top that is underlined says theatrical distribution. 

Edited by Jamiem

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

What a film. Seriously. 

Not gonna be surprised if Power of the Dog sweeps all the main categories it's nominated for. 

CANADA:

Gucci roughly 2.5x Encanto so far today so far (neither includes Tuesday previews). 

ghostbusters has also overtaken Encanto for today. Walk-ups are very very strong for it, will likely see a very healthy bump from Tuesday overall domestically (Canada is skewered because it’s not a holiday here). 

Resident Evil hasn’t moved a ton today. Fallen behind Dune and Eternals. Bleh

Edited by DAJK
  • Thanks 1