Eric Atreides

Tár | October 7, 2022 | Cate Blanchett stars, Todd Field directs | A short film that "expands the universe" will premiere at Berlinale 2023

https://deadline.com/2021/11/cate-blanchett-movie-tar-release-date-cast-1234879916/

EXCLUSIVE: Deadline first reported about Cate Blanchett and director Todd Field’s next picture Tár, and this afternoon we learned that the film will hit cinemas on Oct. 7, 2022, with Nina Hoss, Noémie Merlant, Sophie Kauer, Julian Glover, Mark Strong, Allan Corduner, and Sylvia Flote joining the cast.

In new plot details, we also understand that 2x Oscar winner Blanchett will be playing Lydia Tár, an orchestra conductor, widely considered to be one of the greatest in the pic’s story, and the first-ever female chief conductor of a major German orchestra. The score to the movie is being composed by Oscar winner Hildur Guðnadóttir, who won for The Joker‘s best score. Guðnadóttir is the first female composer to win an Academy Award, Golden Globe, and BAFTA Award for Best Original Score.

Field, in addition to writing and directing, is producing Tár under his Standard Film Company banner alongside Alexandra Milchan & Scott Lambert for Emjag Productions. The pic is currently shooting in Berlin. Field previously directed the Kate Winslet 2006 New Line drama Little Children. 

Still not totally sure if I'll like the film myself. Apparently the movie is about "cancel culture", which immediately made me roll my eyes to the back of my head. But hey, I'll hope for the best and not assume the worst, and at least Cate's getting another Oscar. I guess that last part's all I really need to worry about at the end of the day.

Curious how this will do at the box office. Field's In the Bedroom made $35M in 2001/2002 as a Best Picture nominee but Little Children made just $5M in 2006. This sounds like another Blue Jasmine situation though where the WOM for Cate's performance alone is going to be what drives it so I'm guessing somewhere in the $20-25M range.