Eric Atreides

Tár | October 7, 2022 | Cate Blanchett stars, Todd Field directs | A short film that "expands the universe" will premiere at Berlinale 2023

I'm so annoyed.

I'm interested in seeing Tár but I don't know if it will be showing at Regal Atlantic Station.

Even though on the 21st it should be showing at smaller, more suburban theaters.

So I really don't want to go to these smaller suburban theaters to see it but if I have to, I will

Saw this today.

I appreciate it for being an expertly crafted film but I think it's a bit tiresome. Not boring, but tiresome.

I don't think it will catch on at the box office. The only thing appealing to the mass audience in this movie is Cate Blanchet's performance itself.

Also this is barely an R rated film lol

Given the tone/subject matter, I figured TÁR would be divisive to audiences, but not quite so brain-breaking for professional journalists...

(possible spoilers in the links)

Before there was much public info about the movie, I figured TÁR was a biopic, because it's not like there are tons of movies being made about conductors. The name wasn't familiar, but what do I know about today's classical music scene? When I learned Lydia Tár was fictional (via some profile about Cate when it premiered), I thought, "Oh, okay," and kept it moving. Apparently, I should have had an existential crisis about this news? LOL

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

On 11/13/2022 at 12:12 AM, cannastop said:

Movies used to have the credits at the beginning, but for the 1930s it would be 3-4 frames total, much less time consuming. I knew about the credits going into TÁR, but spoke to people who didn't and they were confused, or thought it was a projecting mistake.

It's just "different" to a modern audience and not everyone embraces that. If the movie had openly stated the point it was making by putting the credits first, then critics would have called it too "on the nose". Yet if a movie isn't direct in its message(s), there's a segment of the audience that just won’t get it. I'm not even sure how much I like TÁR, but with some of the baby-brained takes out there, you'd think it was already playing on Netflix and not just to film festival crowds and arthouse fans.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Just now, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Movies used to have the credits at the beginning, but for the 1930s it would be 3-4 frames total, much less time consuming. I knew about the credits going into TÁR, but spoke to people who didn't and they were confused, or thought it was a projecting mistake. It's just "different" to a modern audience and not everyone embraces that. If the movie had openly stated the point it was making by putting the credits first, then critics would have called it too "on the nose". Yet if a movie isn't direct in its message(s), there's a segment of the audience that just won’t get it. I'm not even sure how much I like TÁR, but with some of the baby-brained takes out there, you'd think it was already playing on Netflix and not just to film festival crowds and arthouse fans.

I clicked on "mini-view" as soon as I realized what was going on

Was Monster Hunter rise: sunbreak good?

Probably the best 2022 movie ive seen (havent finished blonde), it has some boring stretches and I could have done with maybe 20 minutes less, but when it tries to its just so darn entertaining and everything it does it does pretty well