Encanto (2021)  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

If the world was fair this film will open up peoples minds (mainstream society at large) about how animation has the ability to bring characters to life in a very:real, intimate, and empathetic way.Which ultimately can perhaps be more powerful than even live action,as you can see yourselves in them for the fact that it’s not someone else acting out a character but an animated character with deeply expressive eyes that can almost be as an avatar to you.                   As you can see I’m really passionate about the medium of animation especially as it pertains to the character animation aspect of it.                 Also what’s interesting about the conversation surrounding the medium is that when adult animation fans try to talk about how great of a medium animation is they tend to always bring up foreign films,as those films do to be fair deal with more mature subject matter, but the Disney films from the states are the ones that are and we’re from the beginning always at the forefront of one little tiny powerful aspect of this medium,that being the art of character animation and for me that’s what sets this medium against live action.It’s this idea that you can take something that’s obviously not real and make it come alive from your soul to your hand to ultimately on the paper (or computer).For me that’s pure art right there.In fact I might go as far to say that is perhaps the ultimate form of communication art can give to an audience.    Yes I know I’ve gon pretty long (and the punctuation is probably not all that good)but I just felt I had to get something out to say.I guess I should actually work in this medium instead of rambling on and on about it.😜

• Like 2

A colorful and magical delight that's just as much a love letter to Colombian culture as Coco was a celebration of Mexican culture, and Disney Animation's best effort since Zootopia. Stephanie Beatriz brings Mirabel to life as a new memorable Disney protagonist, and the decision to eschew most of the studio's usual elements for a more low-key and authentic approach works beautifully. And then there's the Lin-Manuel Miranda songs, which are as toe-tapping as anything he's put out yet. It's just a charming story told well that reinforces why Disney Animation remains as strong as ever through their 60th motion picture. A-

• Like 1

Disney Animation Studios continues its now impressively long run of terrific offerings with Encanto, a film that somehow feels like both a textbook case of the studio doing what it does best in some areas and a most intriguing departure from their norm in others. Like the standard Disney animated film, it provides magic, music, gorgeous animation, and expected yet resonant messages about the importance of familial love and the need to value and empower someone who breaks from the accepted norms of society in a positive way. However, it is also refreshingly unhurried, focuses more on internal conflicts than on a more traditional villain, and feels especially resonant in its examination of the importance of a seemingly ordinary person in a comparatively extraordinary world. It’s a testament to the power of the film’s writing, music, and messaging that even though it telegraphs its themes very clearly from an early point in the running time, these themes’ payoff is still remarkably resonant late in the film. The songs are catchy and display many of the strengths one would normally associate with Lin-Manuel Miranda, and the musical numbers are staged in a highly energetic and passionate manner that tracks with the passion the animators are clearly pouring into them. The voice cast is also in fine form, with the always stellar Stephanie Beatriz making the most of her time in the spotlight with a terrific, committed vocal performance as the film’s heroine, Mirabel. Beatriz captures Mirabel’s pluckiness perfectly and sells her emotional arc like a pro. The supporting cast is also in fine form, with big assists from John Lequizamo at his funniest in years and In the Heights’s Olga Merediz stepping in to knock a couple songs out of the park. From start to finish, Encanto is a delightful experience that capitalizes on its intriguing concept and its emotional beats so skillfully that it practically looks and feels effortless.

A-

I also giggled way harder than I should have at the "Miercoles!" line. Definitely one of the best "getting crap past the radar" (hehe) jokes in recent memory.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, cannastop said:

THIS MOVIE IS AMAZING.

I like it even more than Zootopia, which means a whole lot coming from me.

It's so rich in themes... and I think they really internalized the backlash to Zootopia in making this movie, in a weird way. If you ask I might explain what I mean.

Yeah,explain 🤓

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

IDK. It's probably not the right explanation. I just think they might have wanted to make something more "authentic" after making Zootopia.

In what way authentic?Is it how its based on something more personal rather than political? 

6 minutes ago, Melosh said:

In what way authentic?Is it how its based on something more personal rather than political? 

not quite...

Like I guess maybe they wanted to be the white people who made something that related to Latin American culture. Rather than the white-coded liberalism of Zootopia.

• Like 1

Did this have the same problems as Raya, where everyone had to hash out a story remotely, or could they work in person?

I said in its thread that it's not super funny, but somewhat muted in its humor. Now I'm not the type of person who tries to justify liking an animated movie by insisting it's more ~mature - animation is a medium that can spawn genres - but Disney has been pretty firmly in the families and kids demographic.

Between its themes, lack of typical gaggy-disney humor (Bruno gets a lot of that and it's not funny except one part), less adventury action, and extremely heavy emphasis on multiple relationships and trauma, this is probably the closest Disney, under its WDAS banner, has to an animated movie that's just animated and not 'animated - but for kids'. The closest to a normal, mature in its themes, story.

Basically, an animated story by a studio not from America, so it doesn't dumb anything down.

The engagement scene alone reminds me of one of those midbudget movies that would star like Julia Roberts in the mid 2000s in an apartment doing some stuff that all goes terribly wrong!

The fact that they tried something what I consider drastically different narrative wise and it actually succeeds for the most part, when Disney is all about being palatable and funny is an achievement. I thought about how the merch seemed to be skant for this and blamed the supply chains and general....malaise of the world, but I wonder if they even knew how to advertise it.

I feel like quite a few movies troubled their studios with how to advertise them this year.

This is an animated drama. I would organize some of the latter story a bit differently, but I really enjoyed this attempt at a more mature movie from what as become a glorified toyline. Having your best of the decade (I still consider 2010 - 2021 the same decade for WDAS as they had nothing in 2020) in Encanto and your worst in Raya in the same year is weird, but I appreciate the contrast.

Edited by Morieris

46 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Did this have the same problems as Raya, where everyone had to hash out a story remotely, or could they work in person?

I said in its thread that it's not super funny, but somewhat muted in its humor. Now I'm not the type of person who tries to justify liking an animated movie by insisting it's more ~mature - animation is a medium that can spawn genres - but Disney has been pretty firmly in the families and kids demographic.

Between its themes, lack of typical gaggy-disney humor (Bruno gets a lot of that and it's not funny except one part), less adventury action, and extremely heavy emphasis on multiple relationships and trauma, this is probably the closest Disney, under its WDAS banner, has to an animated movie that's just animated and not 'animated - but for kids'. The closest to a normal, mature in its themes, story.

Basically, an animated story by a studio not from America, so it doesn't dumb anything down.

The engagement scene alone reminds me of one of those midbudget movies that would star like Julia Roberts in the mid 2000s in an apartment doing some stuff that all goes terribly wrong!

The fact that they tried something what I consider drastically different narrative wise and it actually succeeds for the most part, when Disney is all about being palatable and funny is an achievement. I thought about how the merch seemed to be skant for this and blamed the supply chains and general....malaise of the world, but I wonder if they even knew how to advertise it.

I feel like quite a few movies troubled their studios with how to advertise them this year.

This is an animated drama. I would organize some of the latter story a bit differently, but I really enjoyed this attempt at a more mature movie from what as become a glorified toyline. Having your best of the decade (I still consider 2010 - 2021 the same decade for WDAS as they had nothing in 2020) in Encanto and your worst in Raya in the same year is weird, but I appreciate the contrast.

I don't agree with a lot of this.

I think Zootopia is closer to being a drama than Encanto is. Not even close comparatively. 

I'm also not down on Raya like others are.

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

but I wonder if they even knew how to advertise it.

I agree this movie was hard to advertise for...

but that might be because the "latin American music" stuff could be conflated with Coco. And I am not a marketing expert of course. But overall the movie was light and fun? imo anyways.

It doesn't seem as dour as Zootopia or The Lion King tbh.

Should have skipped theaters and stayed on disney plus etc.  The whole entire plot takes place in the house.  The songs are not good and forgettable.  The powers are neat and the messages are good but couldn't save this movie.  It's dumb that a big deal is made about Bruno being gone and disappearing but he ends up being in the house the whole time.  The main character not getting powers is never really explained (though it's clear her goal is to bring the family together that is her purpose).  Probably the worst animated movie I have seen in a long time.  

D-

Wow! this was great, one of the best animated movie of the past few years. All the songs are top notch, especially Surface Pressure because of its lyrics. The only shortcoming I would say was that they could have spend more time on how each member of the family feel constrained and trapped due to their powers. They could have expanded the run time a little more and spent time on this aspect which would have elevated the movie even more. 

On 1/9/2022 at 8:19 AM, Audpoet said:

The songs are not good and forgettable. 

Some of the songs are indeed forgettable, but We Don't Talk About Bruno is incredibly catchy. And evidently popular enough to propel the entire soundtrack to #1 on the Billboard 200.

Watched 'Encanto' and wow.

Symbolism, Portrayals, Responsibilities and Woes. Just Perfect.. Ah that's façade too.

Easily one of best Disney movies multiple generation can relate.  Kids who will watch it now and will grow old to have responsibilities and relate more, This is definitely becoming CLASSIC. 

Edited by Shanks