Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (12/3-5)

Wolf in 308 theaters making a lot less than half of Licorice Pizza's second weekend in just 4 is truly quite something. Focus completely dumped it without even the slightest bit of effort.

A predictably slow post-Thanksgiving weekend. With massive theater drops coming up starting in two weeks it's clear where every movie is gonna end up now. Encanto will probably need to be pushed past $100M if it gets close enough while House of Gucci is looking at a $45-50M finish, in normal times these wouldn't be great numbers but as it stands these are a new high for both the struggling animated and adult drama genres in the pandemic era.

Even though there are little victories here and there, it was still a pretty depressing weekend all around. Save us, Spidey. 

(Actually curious to see how WSS will do. Feels like there's not much excitement for it, but the reviews are fantastic and it's Spielberg. We'll see).

Fascinating study just done - most worrisome for theaters - the percent of likely lost and hopefuls (most of these who apparently still wouldn't go back) and the impact it may have on future movie-making.  

https://thequorum.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Exhibition-At-A-Crossroads-11.29.21.pdf

Now, the study may be BS, but it's interesting...and I like to post interesting, especially when it's about demos who are showing and those who aren't (TL/DR - it's a HEAVY skew to men of all ages for all movies with a heavy skew of young hispanic women showing up just for the biggies:)...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Can DUNC crawl to 400M?

I don't see it at this point, unless it gets another re-release come Oscar season (and is actually an Oscar player). But I'm not that concerned, really. It already performed much stronger than expected and the sequel was confirmed ages ago. $400m was just another flashy number that would've been fun to reach. 

Speaking of which... Eternals total WW number seems low to me. That's definitely an underperformance, right?

What an absolute shitshow of a weekend. Shame to see Encanto won't reach 100M as family movies are in extreme need of a small victory. Gucci is another worldwide disaster for adult movies. GB:A is a stunning trainwreck OS and it will drag itself to the 200M WW total if it is lucky. Eternals WW total is an absolute disaster. Benedetta is too good for America. People don't want to comeback. I wonder how long Hollywood will keep this going.

Edited by CJohn

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

What an absolute shitshow of a weekend. Shame to see Encanto won't reach 100M as family movies are in extreme need of a small victory. Gucci is another worldwide disaster for adult movies. GB:A is a stunning trainwreck OS and it will drag itself to the 200M WW total if it is lucky. Eternals WW total is an absolute disaster. Benedetta is too good for America. People don't want to comeback. I wonder how long Hollywood will keep this going.

You are saying this after seeing Spidey Presales !!!! Its almost like that is releasing in a parallel universe !!!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Even though there are little victories here and there, it was still a pretty depressing weekend all around. Save us, Spidey. 

(Actually curious to see how WSS will do. Feels like there's not much excitement for it, but the reviews are fantastic and it's Spielberg. We'll see).

It's selling well in LA and (especially, and unsurprisingly) NYC for next weekend so far looking around. Theatre/Sondheim geeks showing up in sizeable numbers is probably gonna result in some frontloading. Easily opening at #1 regardless.

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

You're a mean one.

Grinch GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

You are saying this after seeing Spidey Presales !!!! Its almost like that is releasing in a parallel universe !!!

That's even more depressing. They will lean even heavier on men in tights films if that is even possible.

Edited by Elessar
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

I don't see it at this point, unless it gets another re-release come Oscar season (and is actually an Oscar player). But I'm not that concerned, really. It already performed much stronger than expected and the sequel was confirmed ages ago. $400m was just another flashy number that would've been fun to reach. 

Speaking of which... Eternals total WW number seems low to me. That's definitely an underperformance, right?

Agreed, flashy number is style, greenlit sequel is substance. :)

Can't see Eternals WW total for this weekend.

EDIT: pretty good breakdown for Gucci given its running time and that it isn't an action spectacle:

Edited by Valonqar

2 hours ago, Flopped said:

Poor Paul. America gave up on him long ago. His movies are too interesting for the land of Trump and the Kardashians. 

amazing how well Basic Instinct did back in the day despite mixed reviews and that's before adjusted for inflation. Controversy really sells

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt0103772/?ref_=bo_se_r_1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

One movie can't save an entire marketplace.