Eric Atreides

Strange World | Walt Disney Animation Studios | Comes to Disney+ on December 23rd

39 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

So, this is a good film Disney didn't advertise because the son is openly gay. It's not a bad movie, at all. Won't be surprised if this and Matilda hurt Puss 'N Boot quite a bit.

What?

It got the worst CinemaScore from Audiences in Disney Animation history. They tested the film, saw it was a clunker, and dumped it.

I honestly had somewhat low expectations going into this, and I was whelmed. I don't think the movie is really all that bad, but outside of the animation (which is absolutely spectacular as always) and the big third act twist (which I quite liked) there's nothing in the film that I feel that another WDAS or Pixar hasn't already done a much better job at. And I don't really get the urge to rewatch it either.

Welp. No wonder Disney decided to dump it.

I mean, there's fun to be had, but a lot of it feels so... weightless? Like, the longest moment of character interaction would be the card game scene, and the rest of the movie just rushes through everything like it can't wait to get itself over with. It looks great, and the twist is somewhat interesting, but everything else is half-baked. Really feel like Disney is able to do way better than this.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

After seeing Strange World, I understand why Disney dumped it. There’s one cool idea but it feels like the studio was autopilot the whole time and the family drama stuff is the same in most mainstream animation.

• Like 1

This movie has been unfairly maligned.

It's suffered from Disney killing animation with their straight to Disney+ or within a month BS, which severely hampers family movies and the ridiculous snowflake conservative backlash. Not sure either is easy to overcome now though. It's been 2 years+ of the former and 6 years+ of the latter.

We'll have to see if Iger can make a difference in the former. For the latter, Americans better start to get a grip on the changing world around them. America is already an empire on the decline with the elites feasting as the country slides. Climate change will cause a reckoning sooner rather than later and unfettered capitalism is a death sentence.

12 minutes ago, BK007 said:

This movie has been unfairly maligned.

It's suffered from Disney killing animation with their straight to Disney+ or within a month BS, which severely hampers family movies and the ridiculous snowflake conservative backlash. Not sure either is easy to overcome now though. It's been 2 years+ of the former and 6 years+ of the latter.

We'll have to see if Iger can make a difference in the former. For the latter, Americans better start to get a grip on the changing world around them. America is already an empire on the decline with the elites feasting as the country slides. Climate change will cause a reckoning sooner rather than later and unfettered capitalism is a death sentence.

Oh brother....

Strange World is the biggest flop of 2022. Disney takes $197m lost on movie. $90m of that was on prints and ads, so they really should have skipped theaters and premiered in on D+.

Strange-World_final.png

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Apparently watching this can get you into trouble with the law in Florida

This is the situation with showing ANY Disney movie in any classroom. Anyone could theoretically get in trouble for showing a Disney movie in school, but that had been at the hands of Disney (even though it is actually good advertising for Disney). But the state? I never heard of that. If it is against the school or district policy, then so be it. But for the state to be involved? 

Edited by jedijake

1 minute ago, jedijake said:

This is the situation with showing ANY Disney movie in any classroom. Anyone could theoretically get in trouble for showing a Disney movie in school, but that had been at the hands of Disney (even though it is actually good advertising for Disney). But the state? I never heard of that.

You misunderstand what the trouble is. It's not the Walt Disney corporations copyright, it's because Strange World has a gay character. That's why it's an issue with the state.

Of course it's something like this that gets this decomposed corpse back in the news. These conservative tantrums will be this movie's unfortunate legacy. Some teacher in a conservative state wants to show this queer-positive movie in their school, conservative parents lose their shit, and then they get treated as if they're a drug dealer. Rinse and repeat every few random months. Aside from these "controversies" the world at large will continue to forget this movie even exists. This must be pretty frustrating for the cast and crewç

• Like 1