Jump to content
Eric Claus

Strange World | Walt Disney Animation Studios | Don Hall (BH6, Raya) directs

Recommended Posts

The original action-adventure journeys deep into an uncharted and treacherous land where fantastical creatures await the legendary Clades, a family of explorers whose differences threaten to topple their latest—and by far— most crucial mission. According to director Don Hall, “Strange World” is a nod to pulp magazines—popular fiction from the first half of the 20th century that was printed on inexpensive wood pulp paper. “I loved reading the old issues of pulps growing up,” he said. “They were big adventures in which a group of explorers might discover a hidden world or ancient creatures. They’ve been a huge inspiration for ‘Strange World.’”
 

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/first-look-at-disneys-strange-world/
 

 

The plot seems a bit basic but could be fun given the right working. Hopefully Hall and Nyugen knock it out of the park. Raya was okay but I’m not the biggest fan of BH6. Also it’s nice to have a black Disney lead that won’t be turned into something marketable (knock on wood) for a change.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read about this a few weeks ago and could never remember the name Searcher Clade, so I'm glad they changed it. I hope they hammered out the story better than they did for Raya.

 

29 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Also it’s nice to have a black Disney lead that won’t be turned into something marketable (knock on wood) for a change.

 

Are they black? I can't tell from that concept art, but I"d be hyped if they were.

edit: oh shoot they are!! I had to zoom in like 500 bc I can't see.

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I read about this a few weeks ago and could never remember the name Searcher Clade, so I'm glad they changed it. I hope they hammered out the story better than they did for Raya.

 

 

Are they black? I can't tell from that concept art, but I"d be hyped if they were.

edit: oh shoot they are!! I had to zoom in like 500 bc I can't see.

I mean there was an earlier report this year

 

https://thedisinsider.com/2021/08/22/title-confirmed-for-2022-animated-disney-film/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm intrigued by this movie. See, straight-up action/adventure animated movies, as opposed to buddy comedies, fairy tales, and family dramas, have never been Disney's forte. Their various attempts to venture into this genre, such as Atlantis and Treasure Planet, were box-office flops.
 

It's symptomatic, I would argue, of a greater issue Disney has had for many decades. Basically, the teenage male audience is the great white whale Disney has always failed to catch. They tried in the early 1980s with horror and sci-fi movies like Tron and The Black Hole, as well as their first PG-rated animated movie, The Black Cauldron. They tried again in the 2000s, with Atlantis and Treasure Planet, with equally miserable results. There was Pirates of the Caribbean, admittedly, but that had the appeal of being based on a famous Disney ride, so it hardly counted. Finally, they just threw up their arms and bought Marvel and Star Wars.

Unfortunately, even after that, they've still failed to produce a successful in-house movie aimed at that demographic. And their attempts have been many— Tomorrowland, A Wrinkle In Time, Artemis Fowl, The Prince of Persia, John Carter, The Lone Ranger, the list goes on and on.
 

So taken within that context, Strange World, if it is indeed the kind of movie it looks like it is going to be, represents another attempt at this by Disney. The million-dollar question is, will they succeed this time?

Edited by El Squibbonator
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Eric Smith said:

This is next on the "Disney+ Original" chopping block.

Nah, WDAS is exempt. Chapek just hates Pixar.

Edited by cookie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cookie said:

Nah, WDAS is exempt. Chapek just hates Pixar.

You think this now, but Encanto's D+ explosion (and kids/families not giving two hecks about movie theaters anymore) will mean every animated movie that isn't a Lightyear or Frozen 3 will be only on Disney+. Welcome to the future.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yea I can definitely see this moving to D+. I’d like for it not too, because one of these films will definitely be the next Frozen or Inside Out that we’re missing out on (box office wise) but I guess it’s just “easier” to use them to grow D+, especially when you look at Nielsen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the record, this is going to be a constant for all studios. I would not be shocked if they reveal in the next month or two that The Bad Guys/DC Super Pets/Puss in Boots 2 get the same treatment on Peacock/HBO Max. Maybe they'll get a little bit better treatment with a day-and-date theatrical release, but this is the future for kids movies now. Which...yeah, conditioning kids to watch stuff at home more will lead to some rough implications 10+ years from now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Eric Smith said:

This is next on the "Disney+ Original" chopping block.

The fourth quarter is when D+ is gonna be dropping a majority their actually buzzy "Exclusive" content for this year so this is likely safe from that to avoid getting overshadowed (especially when they won't be as starved for new content as they are these first couple of months). Worse comes to worse it'll get the Encanto treatment since it's not Pixar and they're the ones that seem genuinely cursed lol sigh,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/9/2021 at 9:54 AM, El Squibbonator said:

I'm intrigued by this movie. See, straight-up action/adventure animated movies, as opposed to buddy comedies, fairy tales, and family dramas, have never been Disney's forte. Their various attempts to venture into this genre, such as Atlantis and Treasure Planet, were box-office flops.
 

It's symptomatic, I would argue, of a greater issue Disney has had for many decades. Basically, the teenage male audience is the great white whale Disney has always failed to catch. They tried in the early 1980s with horror and sci-fi movies like Tron and The Black Hole, as well as their first PG-rated animated movie, The Black Cauldron. They tried again in the 2000s, with Atlantis and Treasure Planet, with equally miserable results. There was Pirates of the Caribbean, admittedly, but that had the appeal of being based on a famous Disney ride, so it hardly counted. Finally, they just threw up their arms and bought Marvel and Star Wars.

Unfortunately, even after that, they've still failed to produce a successful in-house movie aimed at that demographic. And their attempts have been many— Tomorrowland, A Wrinkle In Time, Artemis Fowl, The Prince of Persia, John Carter, The Lone Ranger, the list goes on and on.
 

So taken within that context, Strange World, if it is indeed the kind of movie it looks like it is going to be, represents another attempt at this by Disney. The million-dollar question is, will they succeed this time?

Pirates worked out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/7/2022 at 11:25 PM, CloneWars said:

Pirates worked out

And so have films from  Some of Disney's other companies\..Marvel Studiios come to mind.

But Disney Studio propers big hits with the 16 to 25 male crowd have been scarce. Pirates if the only  big franchise for that audience that Disney has gotten, and that is pretty much dead at this pont.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2022 at 9:58 AM, El Squibbonator said:

That was based on an already-popular Disneyland ride, so it had built-in appeal that these other movies didn't have. 

We are talking about the teenage and young adult audience,not the GA,  and it was Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow who got them into the seats for Pirates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.