Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (12/10-12) | WSS 800K Previews

https://deadline.com/2021/12/west-side-story-opening-weekend-1234888675/

20th Century Studios/Amblin/Disney’s West Side Story grossed $800K last night in Thursday night previews that began at 5PM at 2,820 locations. Industry projections for Steven Spielberg’s first feature musical are between $12M-$17M.

• Like 3

I don't see any reason for studios to release films in theaters anymore outside of Spider-Man types. Audiences are not coming back and we are about to have a worse COVID wave than ever. Lockdowns are incoming and with them the final death of theaters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Can't wait for the usual "nothing is wrong" suspects to tell people to stop freaking out (despite scientific evidence showing why we may well need another lockdown), and the usual "actually, only superhero movies are good anyway" movies to talk about nothing but Spider-Man for next two months.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Eric Feels Pretty said:

And cue them to start in 3...2...1...

I actually do think they’re fun 👀   

Anyway no need to meltdown about this adult singy movie with low numbers when we have a real cinematic event lined up in 7 days.   

Showerthought — NWH probably sold more $$ on Th than WSS, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 1

Pretty much what I expected after seeing how dead last night's shows were near me tbh. FWIW it's selling much better for tonight through Sunday so In the Heights' $11M opening (in over 600 less theaters) should still happen, especially when its audience is so old for the most part.

But I never thought this was gonna be a big opener regardless. Even in its pre-COVID December 18, 2020 spot (where it would've opened against Dune) this still opens to less than $20M and has good legs due to WOM/Oscar buzz from there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Pretty much what I expected after seeing how dead last night's shows were near me tbh. FWIW it's selling much better for tonight through Sunday so In the Heights' $11M opening (in over 600 less theaters) should still happen, especially when its audience is so old for the most part.

But I never thought this was gonna be a big opener regardless. Even in its pre-COVID December 18, 2020 spot (where it would've opened against Dune) this still opens to less than $20M and has good legs due to WOM/Oscar buzz from there.

Actually very true about tonight (no pun intended) I must say - it sold two tickets in my theater last night and has already sold 12 for the same showtime and should speed up today, too. 5m today is possible for a 12 or so weekend.

Fucking lmao another ultra mega bomb but lets all act as if this is all normal and that theaters are in great shape and whatever.

11M OW is the most I can see happening with just 800k previews.

• Like 1

Aside from Dune, WSS is arguably the most see-it-on-the-big-screen-y movie of all of this year's Oscar contenders and since Disney has locked it in as a theatrical exclusive for a while, it should benefit from that, especially when it's looking to be a Top 3 contender and a miserable-looking January (Scream and Morbius are the only movies on anyone's radar) is coming up.

• Like 2

Jeesh i mean yeah theaters are dead people dont come back blah blah lets just all forget about the 200-250 mill ow opener next week.On a more serious note how about people just didnt give a single shit about this ? Its not like musicals were big before covid

• Knock It Off 2