The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread (12/10-12) | WSS 800K Previews

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yeah, I forgot that one - it's even more likely Disney would let extra showings for King's Man replace WSS - Disney does like money after all, and they get part of the revenue for the tickets, so they aren't gonna want 5 tickets sold showings for WSS if they can get 50 ticket showings for King's Man...

Not likely.  Disney via Fox is doing this to keep Spielberg from embarrassment.  They aren't going to let theaters dump it or even not run a full schedule in most every place unless there is extreme circumstances.  They know going off this week and next week's numbers would be suicide for the movie, but if it can hold its schedule and play through until Jan. 6th it has a shot to put up some good numbers with the holiday crowd.  

Don't expect them to allow much of anyone cut their schedules on WSS.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Menor said:

Problem is nobody would want to be the first to try it. There's a lot of inertia in any industry. But I agree. Americans love discounts and if this was promoted it could definitely help. We see in the tracking thread how those Atom/Tmobile deals can boost things for a day. 

It's ironic that you mention the T-Mobile/Atom deal as that was exactly what I was thinking about as something that "proves" that folks would be receptive to this. We can't be the only one noticing how well its working.

As for "no one wants to be the first"?  Well, remember that Discount Tuesday didn't happen overnight.  Came along in fits and starts and some of the MTCs were very resistant to the concept.  But eventually it, more or less, became standard.

Only takes a couple of the smaller chains (or one of the Major Theater Chains) to try it and see how it works.

===

Mind, we are seeing the reverse being applied [highly anticipated movies costing MORE] in fits and starts (as mentioned in the Tracking thread, I know of at least one MTC theater locally which is upcharging on new movies and doubly upcharging on NWH), so maybe, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe a lowering for lesser movies could be in play once the concept of non-standard ticket pricing has been breeched in the first place

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Studios have to be the ones to allow it, not the theaters.  Studio agreements with theaters demand that other than a discount day, prices have to remain competitive in the market.  

Plenty of theaters would be fine lowering the ticket price to $5 on every day of the week except Thurs-Sun if it meant it would bring them a lot of guests that would buy concessions.  

The simple reality is nobody can do it and get away with it.  The studio will pull the film from them if they try it.  

Yes, I figured as much.  Almost mentioned "allowing theaters to do" it in an earlier version of my post, but as I recheck it, I think I edited it out.

Still, I figure some Studio Suits should be noting how well the Atom deals are doing and how un-competitive some genres are over others.  I don't expect most studios to care, but it only takes one or two to get the ball rolling.

Probably won't happen, no.  But if it did, it might surprise some studios on how effective it could be.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yes, I figured as much.  Almost mentioned "allowing theaters to do" it in an earlier version of my post, but as I recheck it, I think I edited it out.

Still, I figure some Studio Suits should be noting how well the Atom deals are doing and how un-competitive some genres are over others.  I don't expect most studios to care, but it only takes one or two to get the ball rolling.

Probably won't happen, no.  But if it did, it might surprise some studios on how effective it could be.

Exactly - if I'm a studio, wouldn't I rather sell $4 tickets M-Th vs $0 tickets M-Th?  I mean, at some point, someone has to say "we need folks back for these movies, what can we do?"  And then do it.

It's been 21 months...yes, only 15 months with any real product, but still...

• Like 3

Are people really losing their mind that West Side Story isn’t frontloading? A film where its target audience wouldn’t have frontloaded it in a normal environment anyway, and probably was lucky in a good year to make 100 million at the box office?  Okay. Have fun this weekend. Don’t be mean to each other. Because I don’t know what to tell you all.  This isn’t shocking and it’s not like we haven’t had two other musicals this year pull the exact same thing. 

• Like 6

Omicron is gonna fuck the world in January. I expect Europe to go into lockdowns.

Good strategy by Disney to lock theaters to play WSS until January 6 since it will be all about legs for it. The King's Man is gonna bomb tho, they should have released it on MLK weekend. Nightmare Alley is a huge dump. Shame.

Edited by CJohn

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Omicron is gonna fuck the world in January. I expect Europe to go into lockdowns.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/botswana-says-no-rise-hospitalisation-omicron-70-vaccinated-2021-12-08/

Early days but I don't think it will. It's going to be the dominant variant but doesn't look like its going to elevate hospitalizations or deaths compared to Delta. 

Also with the vaccination levels in Western Europe the governments are going to be quite hesitant killing the hospitality industry. 

4 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Things can always change, but I know for a fact that as of today Monday afternoon Disney was making anyone that took it commit to playing it over the holiday.  

They aren't all that concerned about Nightmare Alley.  If anything, they are way more concerned on The King's Man.  

Nightmare Alley is probably gonna be hated by general audiences. It's a movie for GDT fans only, and even then it's such a cold, bleak movie

Edited by WrathOfHan

@WrathOfHan have some downtime in Hawaii:

17x:

West Side Story: Rita Moreno: Just a Girl Who Decided to Go for It, The Sparks Brothers, In the Heights Round 3, Summer of Soul Dolby, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings IMAX, Respect, No Time to Die Dolby, The Last Duel, The French Dispatch, Dune Dolby, Eternals Dolby, tick, tick… BOOM!, The French Dispatch Round 2, Belfast, House of Gucci, King Richard

15x:

The King’s Man: Good Boys, Apocalypse Now: Final Cut IMAX, Hustlers, Ford v Ferrari Dolby, The New Mutants IMAX, F9 Dolby, Black Widow Dolby, Free Guy Dolby, Candyman Dolby, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings IMAX, Venom: Let There Be Carnage IMAX, The Last Duel, Eternals Dolby, The French Dispatch Round 2

10x:

Ghostbusters: Afterlife: Jumanji: The Next Level Dolby, Little Women, Little Women Round 2, The Personal History of David Copperfield, Wonder Woman 1984, Jungle Cruise Dolby, Venom: Let There Be Carnage IMAX, Skyfall Round 3, No Time to Die Dolby, The French Dispatch

Sing 2: F9 Dolby, The Boss Baby: Family Business, Jungle Cruise Dolby, Dear Evan Hansen Dolby, Eternals Dolby, The Addams Family 2, Ron’s Gone Wrong, The Mitchells vs. the Machines, Belfast, Encanto Dolby Atmos

8x:

Licorice Pizza: Destry Rides Again 35mm, Bowfinger 35mm, No Time to Die Dolby, The French Dispatch, Dune Dolby, The French Dispatch Round 2, House of Gucci, The Power of the Dog Round 2

7x:

Jackass Forever: Old, The Suicide Squad IMAX, Candyman Dolby, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings IMAX, Malignant, Titane, No Time to Die Dolby

The 355: Honest Thief Dolby, Mank, Dear Evan Hansen Dolby, No Time to Die Dolby, The French Dispatch, Spencer, Belfast

6x:

Morbius: The Gentlemen, Bloodshot IMAX, The New Mutants IMAX, Tenet Round 3 IMAX, The Last Duel, Eternals Dolby

House of Gucci: Respect, Dear Evan Hansen Dolby, Skyfall Round 3, No Time to Die Dolby, Eternals Dolby, Belfast

Encanto: Dear Evan Hansen Dolby, Eternals Dolby, The Addams Family 2, Ron’s Gone Wrong, The Mitchells vs. the Machines, Belfast

Rumble: Sonic the Hedgehog Dolby, The Personal History of David Copperfield, Coco Round 7, The Addams Family 2, The Mitchells vs. the Machines, Encanto Dolby Atmos

5x:

Top Gun: Maverick: Gemini Man Dolby HFR120fps3D, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Dolby, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Round 2 IMAX, A Quiet Place Part II IMAX, Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins IMAX

The Matrix Resurrections: Malignant, Titane, The Last Duel, Dune Dolby, King Richard

4x:

Hotel Transylvania: Transformania: Spirit Untamed, In the Heights Round 3, Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway, Cruella

American Underdog: The Last Duel, The Addams Family 2, Ron’s Gone Wrong, King Richard

A Journal for Jordan: Dear Evan Hansen Dolby, Spencer, Belfast, King Richard

3x:

Minions: The Rise of Gru: The Call of the Wild Dolby, Onward Dolby, The Croods Round 2
Death on the Nile: Tenet Round 3 IMAX, Honest Thief Dolby, Synchronic
Spider-Man: No Way Home: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man, Venom: Let There Be Carnage IMAX
Julia: Nine Days, The Lost Leonardo, The Eyes of Tammy Faye
Moonfall: Malignant, No Time to Die Dolby, Dune Dolby
King Richard: Respect, Dear Evan Hansen Dolby, Spencer
Flee: Pig, Titane, Spencer
Belfast: The Card Counter, The French Dispatch, Spencer
Clifford the Big Red Dog: Eternals Dolby, The Addams Family 2, Ron’s Gone Wrong
The Power of the Dog: Bowfinger 35mm, Last Night in Soho 35mm, tick, tick…BOOM!
Scream: The Last Duel, Dune Dolby, House of Gucci
Turning Red: The Addams Family 2, Ron’s Gone Wrong, Encanto Dolby Atmos
Nightmare Alley: The French Dispatch, tick, tick… BOOM!, C’mon C’mon

2x:

The Comeback Trail: Tenet Round 3 IMAX, Honest Thief Dolby
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Thor: Love and Thunder: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
The Marvels: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Fantastic Four: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
C’mon C’mon: Lamb, The French Dispatch
The Batman: Dune Dolby, Eternals Dolby
Cyrano: Belfast, House of Gucci
Benedetta: Last Night in Soho 35mm, The Power of the Dog Round 2
The Tragedy of Macbeth: Lamb, C’mon C’mon
Being the Ricardos: tick, tick… BOOM!, C’mon C’mon
DC League of Super-Pets: The Mitchells vs. the Machines, King Richard

1x:

Parallel Mothers: Small Engine Repair
The Duke: The Lost Leonardo
The Black Phone: The Last Duel
Ambulance: Dune Dolby
Uncharted: Dune Dolby
Redeeming Love: Spencer
The Worst Person in the World: Spencer
The Hand of God: tick, tick… BOOM!
For the Love of Money: The French Dispatch Round 2
Downton Abbey: A New Era: Belfast
Wolf: Belfast
Lightyear: Encanto Dolby Atmos
Red Rocket: C’mon C’mon

Edited by Blankments
  • Astonished 1

54 minutes ago, Blankments said:

@WrathOfHan have some downtime in Hawaii:

17x:

West Side Story: Rita Moreno: Just a Girl Who Decided to Go for It, The Sparks Brothers, In the Heights Round 3, Summer of Soul Dolby, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings IMAX, Respect, No Time to Die Dolby, The Last Duel, The French Dispatch, Dune Dolby, Eternals Dolby, tick, tick… BOOM!, The French Dispatch Round 2, Belfast, House of Gucci, King Richard

15x:

The King’s Man: Good Boys, Apocalypse Now: Final Cut IMAX, Hustlers, Ford v Ferrari Dolby, The New Mutants IMAX, F9 Dolby, Black Widow Dolby, Free Guy Dolby, Candyman Dolby, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings IMAX, Venom: Let There Be Carnage IMAX, The Last Duel, Eternals Dolby, The French Dispatch Round 2

10x:

Ghostbusters: Afterlife: Jumanji: The Next Level Dolby, Little Women, Little Women Round 2, The Personal History of David Copperfield, Wonder Woman 1984, Jungle Cruise Dolby, Venom: Let There Be Carnage IMAX, Skyfall Round 3, No Time to Die Dolby, The French Dispatch

Sing 2: F9 Dolby, The Boss Baby: Family Business, Jungle Cruise Dolby, Dear Evan Hansen Dolby, Eternals Dolby, The Addams Family 2, Ron’s Gone Wrong, The Mitchells vs. the Machines, Belfast, Encanto Dolby Atmos

8x:

Licorice Pizza: Destry Rides Again 35mm, Bowfinger 35mm, No Time to Die Dolby, The French Dispatch, Dune Dolby, The French Dispatch Round 2, House of Gucci, The Power of the Dog Round 2

7x:

Jackass Forever: Old, The Suicide Squad IMAX, Candyman Dolby, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings IMAX, Malignant, Titane, No Time to Die Dolby

The 355: Honest Thief Dolby, Mank, Dear Evan Hansen Dolby, No Time to Die Dolby, The French Dispatch, Spencer, Belfast

6x:

Morbius: The Gentlemen, Bloodshot IMAX, The New Mutants IMAX, Tenet Round 3 IMAX, The Last Duel, Eternals Dolby

House of Gucci: Respect, Dear Evan Hansen Dolby, Skyfall Round 3, No Time to Die Dolby, Eternals Dolby, Belfast

Encanto: Dear Evan Hansen Dolby, Eternals Dolby, The Addams Family 2, Ron’s Gone Wrong, The Mitchells vs. the Machines, Belfast

Rumble: Sonic the Hedgehog Dolby, The Personal History of David Copperfield, Coco Round 7, The Addams Family 2, The Mitchells vs. the Machines, Encanto Dolby Atmos

5x:

Top Gun: Maverick: Gemini Man Dolby HFR120fps3D, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Dolby, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Round 2 IMAX, A Quiet Place Part II IMAX, Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins IMAX

The Matrix Resurrections: Malignant, Titane, The Last Duel, Dune Dolby, King Richard

4x:

Hotel Transylvania: Transformania: Spirit Untamed, In the Heights Round 3, Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway, Cruella

American Underdog: The Last Duel, The Addams Family 2, Ron’s Gone Wrong, King Richard

A Journal for Jordan: Dear Evan Hansen Dolby, Spencer, Belfast, King Richard

Reveal hidden contents

tfw you've been seeing many movies in theaters but only 2 have had trailers :ohmygod: 

• Like 1

Not surprised Disney is forcing theaters to show WSS for 4 weeks at minimum, it's clearly their big entry in the Christmas sweepstakes this year (it was going to be last year) since The King's Man is being left to be overshadowed and they've been promoting it aggressively across all their affiliates in recent weeks like they do for Marvel/Star Wars/anything that falls under the Disney brand itself, including highlighting it during their Disney Parks holiday special a few weeks ago. Not a bad way of trying to reach out to as broad an audience as possible as an alternative option on the market to see over the holidays in addition to Spider-Man.