Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (12/10-12) | WSS 800K Previews

Just now, john2000 said:

Jeesh i mean yeah theaters are dead people dont come back blah blah lets just all forget about the 200-250 mill ow opener next week.On a more serious note how about people just didnt give a single shit about this ? Its not like musicals were big before covid

That opener is probably why this is not doing too well. People are far more picky with their money these days. Are they really going to spend their hard earned cash on a musical most modern audiences have never heard of when a live-action Spider-Verse event is just around the corner?

It also doesn't help that musicals have been bombing left and right these past couple of years.

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Jeesh i mean yeah theaters are dead people dont come back blah blah lets just all forget about the 200-250 mill ow opener next week.On a more serious note how about people just didnt give a single shit about this ? Its not like musicals were big before covid

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

peter parker film GIF

His power is already apparent. Endgame ripped summer 2019 to shreds, and so will Spidey this holiday season. See you all Christmas weekend when The King's Man and Matrix 4 both tank. And people wonder why Sony keeps leaning into the Marvel name for Morbius.

Guys, this stuff is not helping. Just stop.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Feels Pretty said:

Its true so whats the problem here ? If spidey were to tracking for 50 mill ow the  i would agree but thats not the case people just dont care about this movie.Simple as that

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Eric Feels Pretty said:

3 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

We’re gonna need more than 6 marvels per year to save this industry. Maybe 8.

This applies to you too bucko.

Rather gutsy of Disney/Searchlight that they are putting Nightmare Alley out in 2,000+ theaters next weekend knowing it's gonna be stepped on, even if they are also being selective about where it will be shown (like WSS, it's gonna be playing at all the independent theaters near me that won't be showing Spider-Man or Matrix or Sing). If they had gone for a platform debut it likely would've easily posted the biggest average of the year behind Licorice Pizza.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Nobody was asking for a WSS remake. Covid or not it would have bombed. Can’t use Covid as an excuse for unappealing movies

Yeah, I'm fairly sure an outstandingly reviewed Spielberg directed musical around Christmas time of one of the most popular shows ever would have made money. Into the Woods made money, and this is 100x bigger of a show. I saw my aunt and all her old friends talking on Facebook just two days ago about how they won't go to theaters because COVID. And that's not even counting the fact we are back to square zero with a variant that has immune evasiveness even in those with booster shots. Get ready for a Super Bowl without fans and lockdowns starting after NYE.

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Yeah, I'm fairly sure an outstandingly reviewed Spielberg directed musical around Christmas time of one of the most popular shows ever would have made money. Into the Woods made money, and this is 100x bigger of a show. I saw my aunt and all her old friends talking on Facebook just two days ago about how they won't go to theaters because COVID. And that's not even counting the fact we are back to square zero with a variant that has immune evasiveness even in those with booster shots. Get ready for a Super Bowl without fans and lockdowns starting after NYE.

except there is already a movie version that is considered perfectly good and is fondly remembered. In the eyes of the general public, A West Side Story remake is no different than the 2016 Ben Hur remake. Fact!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Into the Woods made money, and this is 100x bigger of a show.

To be fair, I'm not sure how much being based on a Broadway musical really influenced the success of Into the Woods. Probably had more to do with being sold first and foremost as a big Christmas star-studded fairy tale with the Mickey Mouse Seal of Approval behind it.

Edited by filmlover
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

except there is already a movie version that is considered perfectly good and is fondly remembered. In the eyes of the general public, A West Side Story remake is no different than the 2016 Ben Hur remake. Fact!

Ben-Hur isn't half as iconic as WSS, and it was also directed by a Z-Lister and had terrible reviews? That's an insane comparison! Not fact! Also, it still opened to 11 mill, which is probably fucking above this!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Eric Feels Pretty said:

This applies to you too bucko.

Okay, okay, I’ll cool it with some of the more trolly jokes. But on a serious note I do think discussion about the fact that some movies are doing extremely well still (inducing one in 7 days) is a pretty natural and inevitable response to other movies doing not so well and concerns about broad market health.

Edited by Product Driven Legion
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

It also doesn't help that musicals have been bombing left and right these past couple of years.

Excluding the Disney remakes, Mamma Mia 2 grossed 400M. Mary Poppins Returns did 350M. A Star is Born, if you want to count it as a musical, made 436M. Greatest Showman did 435M. La La Land did almost 450M. Even stuff like Rocketman and Pitch Perfect 3 did 185-195M on about a 40M budget. Don't even try and act like musicals haven't been premier destinations.

4 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Its true so whats the problem here ? If spidey were to tracking for 50 mill ow the  i would agree but thats not the case people just dont care about this movie.Simple as that

The thing is that me and Clay and CJohn and everybody else complaining right now...know that theaters won't shut down. We know that Spider-Man's gonna make a bajillion dollars. We know that Spider-Man is going to be this juggernaut around the corner. But the big problem is that Marvel movies and other big tentpoles are the only things selling well right now. And that's a huge problem.

Everything else this year is struggling to survive in this current theatrical ecosystem. Original features, midbudget titles, awards hopefuls, indies, animated kids titles. All of them are failing to maintain an audience and that's an awful, terrible situation that we need to address, because that is a serious problem. It's bad because there's fewer options for people, less diversity in the movie landscape, turns away audiences uninterested in superhero fare (yes those people exist), and it drastically cheapens our overall culture. And for directors and filmmakers who don't want to be stuck in the Marvel industrial complex or have little interest in making these movies aren't getting a good platform or are forced into an industry that destroys any opportunities and hopes for them. That's really, really bad, and is a much bigger picture and way more important that a too big to fail Marvel title making a bajillion dollars. Because really, relying on just one franchise or genre to prop up all of theatrical exhibition...that shit is not healthy at all, especially if said genre starts to wane in popularity. And I'm still not convinced these Disney+ shows aren't oversaturating and diluting interest amongst people.

And yet. Every. Fucking. Time. Anybody dares to talk about this stuff, we're bombarded by Marvel stans that it's not a big deal. It all becomes a giant circlejerk about how Marvel is the greatest thing ever and how it's this amazing savior of cinema and that we should all just shut up and let there be a new superhero movie every week. Who cares if people get sick of it or that we're only stuck with the same bland choices for the rest of our lives? Who cares if diverse genres and filmmaking don't exist anymore? Since superhero movies make so much money, fuck all the other movies, right? We already dominate the conversation, but it's still not enough, right? Got to make sure that we talk about how huge and massive and popular Marvel movies are and how awesome they are, right? The boards have been doing this all year and it is beyond obnoxious and is only belittling people who care about movies and wants all types of films, including superhero titles, to succeed.

If you're not bothered by the fact that only Marvel and Marvel-type films are making money, good for you. But this does not invalidate my problems with the industry or anybody else's.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, Eric Feels Pretty said:

Excluding the Disney remakes, Mamma Mia 2 grossed 400M. Mary Poppins Returns did 350M. A Star is Born, if you want to count it as a musical, made 436M. Greatest Showman did 435M. La La Land did almost 450M. Even stuff like Rocketman and Pitch Perfect 3 did 185-195M on about a 40M budget. Don't even try and act like musicals haven't been premier destinations.

The thing is that me and Clay and CJohn and everybody else complaining right now...know that theaters won't shut down. We know that Spider-Man's gonna make a bajillion dollars. We know that Spider-Man is going to be this juggernaut around the corner. But the big problem is that Marvel movies and other big tentpoles are the only things selling well right now. And that's a huge problem.

Everything else this year is struggling to survive in this current theatrical ecosystem. Original features, midbudget titles, awards hopefuls, indies, animated kids titles. All of them are failing to maintain an audience and that's an awful, terrible situation that we need to address, because that is a serious problem. It's bad because there's fewer options for people, less diversity in the movie landscape, turns away audiences uninterested in superhero fare (yes those people exist), and it drastically cheapens our overall culture. And for directors and filmmakers who don't want to be stuck in the Marvel industrial complex or have little interest in making these movies aren't getting a good platform or are forced into an industry that destroys any opportunities and hopes for them. That's really, really bad, and is a much bigger picture and way more important that a too big to fail Marvel title making a bajillion dollars. Because really, relying on just one franchise or genre to prop up all of theatrical exhibition...that shit is not healthy at all, especially if said genre starts to wane in popularity. And I'm still not convinced these Disney+ shows aren't oversaturating and diluting interest amongst people.

And yet. Every. Fucking. Time. Anybody dares to talk about this stuff, we're bombarded by Marvel stans that it's not a big deal. It all becomes a giant circlejerk about how Marvel is the greatest thing ever and how it's this amazing savior of cinema and that we should all just shut up and let there be a new superhero movie every week. Who cares if people get sick of it or that we're only stuck with the same bland choices for the rest of our lives? Who cares if diverse genres and filmmaking don't exist anymore? Since superhero movies make so much money, fuck all the other movies, right? We already dominate the conversation, but it's still not enough, right? Got to make sure that we talk about how huge and massive and popular Marvel movies are and how awesome they are, right? The boards have been doing this all year and it is beyond obnoxious and is only belittling people who care about movies and wants all types of films, including superhero titles, to succeed.

If you're not bothered by the fact that only Marvel and Marvel-type films are making money, good for you. But this does not invalidate my problems with the industry or anybody else's.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I literally could not give a fuck if Spider-Man opened to 400m next weekend. It says nothing about the health of movies, culture, economy, or public health.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Can't wait for the usual "nothing is wrong" suspects to tell people to stop freaking out (despite scientific evidence showing why we may well need another lockdown), and the usual "actually, only superhero movies are good anyway" movies to talk about nothing but Spider-Man for next two months.

Lockdown may be needed but its America people not gonna lockdown again. 

(like only place i see is like California and nyc maybe lol) 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 2