Eric Duncan

No Way Home Weekend Thread | #RIP AIW Record | 260M OW DOM | 340M OS | 600M OW WW W/O CHINA

WITH GREAT POWER

PjHKxWfmJppPo26w0I9ruU1EHYZayfEjjhAWxR9G

gESox0Y7-4PIQH-cNTRqooOUunqMQUoxaLTwwDMh

rnEjg2oWUcLg0myIzcrN0QHBHUfQXZyD95sE5omX

1xfd_emsnA5bCnMb1EfVEHZ86f1e8PURLAxye_ro

COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY

original.gif

the-amazing-spiderman-peter.gif

spider-man-intothe-spider-verse-miles-mo

giphy.gif?cid=790b761123683d05898817e985

Remember May 3, 2002? I don’t, because I was four years old at the time. But from what I can tell, it was a magical day and perhaps the most important day ever in the current film and box office landscape we have today. After years of development hell and decades of hype amongst kids and adults, the world got to see the one and only Spider-Man on the big screen. And while a Spider-Man movie was destined to be a hit the second it was greenlit, people had no idea what this Sam Raimi flick would snowball into.

Becoming the first film in history to open above $100 million domestically, Spider-Man soon became the fifth-biggest film in North America, turned Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst into household names, and rejuvenated the superhero genre, creating the comic book movie boom we’re still living in today. While Blade modernized the genre and X-Men gave it a qualitative stamp, Spider-Man showed the potential value that these adaptations have. How with the right blend of action, directing, writing, and acting, you can have a movie that can excite fans and newcomers alike. Without Spider-Man, we wouldn’t have The Dark Knight, the X-Men sequels, the MCU, the DCEU, the SPUMC. For better or for worse, Hollywood wouldn’t be the same without Spider-Man.

spiderman-1-gif-6.gif

And because of Spider-Man’s massive success, the character would live on through not one, but two reboots, with three different actors portraying Peter Parker. Andrew Garfield donned the mask for two films, though sadly the hubris of Amy Pascal was too much for him to handle. And shortly after, Papa Feige managed to place the iconic New Yorker into his epic, sprawling universe with a new fresh face, Tom Holland. Since then, the debates and fights over each interpretation have been legendary. Is Sam Raimi the only one who truly gets the hero? Or is it Marc Webb? Maybe Jon Watts got it right all along?

Regardless of how you feel, there’s a reason why we are all passionate when it comes to our favorite Spider-Man interpretations. In many ways, Spider-Man represents the everyman. He isn’t this unstoppable god or warrior, but a kid from Queens trying to get by and dealing with forces both supernatural and relatable. It’s a very endearing character for a very good reason. And this December, Jon Watts and Papa Feige have plans for an absolute dynamite tribute to the timeless Stan Lee/Steve Ditko creation.

no-way-home-spideman-no-way-home.gif

After an absolutely stunning cliffhanger that left audiences speechless, Spider-Man: No Way Home serves as the third, yet far from the last Spidey film, to star Tom Holland, who has quickly risen up in the ranks to become many people’s favorite Peter Parker. This epic adventure not only has Peter deal with his identity being revealed to the entire world, but a multidimensional adventure thanks to his interference with Doctor Strange’s magical gobbledygook. This is part of the incoming Multiverse Saga that Phase 4 and beyond seems to have planned, first beginning with the Emmy-nominated WandaVision, and continuing with next year’s Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, directed by the one who truly started it all, Sam Raimi.

There’s already a lot to get excited about here, but if there’s one thing Papa Feige knows better than everybody else, it’s how to hook people in. And nothing hooks the masses more than pandering towards nostalgic millennials who spend way too much time thinking about shit they liked when they were 10. And sure enough, this multiverse-bending signals some truly jaw-dropping moments that will get any Spider-Man fan excited.

spiderman-doc-ock.gif

Doctor Strange with an ugly haircut. Five of the Sinister Six, with Jamie Foxx, Alfred Molina, and the sexy beast known as Willem Dafoe all returning. And perhaps most exciting of all, the one thing everybody can’t stop talking about, is...something I’m not really allowed to mention, but you already know about it and know that it’s hype.

It’s an absolute dream come true. The kind of cross-generational nostalgia pandering love letter that fans could only dream about is finally here. And the expectations, based on the resolved cliffhangers and promised multiverse shenanigans, is that No Way Home will be big. Really big. Like...top 10, maybe even top 5 all-time big. Despite the fact the COVID-19 pandemic basically diminished box office grosses and scared away many audience demographics, No Way Home is supposed to buck all those trends. People are betting that this has an opening for the ages, restrictions and theatrical disinterest amongst the masses be damned.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76112296d97a7ae40077aa

It’s now gotten to the point that an opening below The Force Awakens could be considered disappointing for some. Some will say just opening to 200M would serve as a complete and total failure. I think that’s all ridiculous, but I can’t stop people setting themselves up for disappointment. Regardless of how I feel, NWH is destined to be the biggest movie of the year and should hopefully lead to spillover for every other movie this Christmas, with films like Matrix 4, Sing 2, King’s Man, Licorice Pizza, West Side Story, and more all potentially benefiting. Perhaps this will also reinvigorate general audiences, who have strayed away from cinemas in favor of Netflix and HBO Max, into supporting their local theaters in 2022, which promises more Marvel goodness, some DC goodness, 90s throwbacks with Jurassic World and Lightyear, as well as the almighty return of James Cameron with Avatar 2.

The future is always an uncertain one. And with how awful 2021 was at the box office, as we seem to be stepping into a world where only Marvel reigns supreme and certain audience demographics never return, it's not really a future we're all going to like. But at least for now, at this point in time, we can enjoy ourselves in this festive and wonderful holiday season.

With a big weekend like this, certain rules and precautions must be enforced. So....

1. ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS. NOT EVEN SPOILERS POSTED UNDER SPOILER TAGS. 

I'm sure you're wondering how this applies to T&A, since everybody and their cat knows about them being in the movie, and they'll probably be reported by Variety a la Harry Styles in Eternals. So the way we're doing it is this: you can say you liked or disliked them in a general sense, but if you go into specifics, then you're in trouble.

GOOD: Wow, it was so cool to see T**** in this.

BAD: T**** yelling out "pizza time" after punching Doc Ock in the nose was so epic.

This rule also applies to other movies in theaters and films/shows recently releasing on streaming. So no Nightmare Alley spoilers, no West Side Story spoilers, no Licorice Pizza spoilers, no Hawkeye spoilers, etc. If you do spoil something here, you will be banned. No exceptions.

2. KEEP YOUR AGENDA OUT OF HERE.

3. THE REPORT AND IGNORE BUTTONS ARE YOUR FRIENDS.

While trolls are already bad, responding to them only makes it worse.

4. IS OFF-TOPIC DISCUSSION OKAY? Off-topic discussions are okay in situations where there's downtime and there aren't any numbers. But when numbers are coming up and things are getting busy, then keep off-topic things down to the minimum.

And lastly... 

5. DON'T BE A DICK.

If you're unsure if you can handle being nice for one weekend, then, simply put, get out of here.  

And three last things,

First off, this thread will likely lean into being more domestic-focused. If you want to know about how No Way Home is doing in other countries, click on the Overseas thread right here.

Second,

WE'RE HAVING A SALE

If you have the funds, we strongly encourage you to donate and upgrade your accounts. Not just because of all the cool perks and benefits, but it helps keep the lights on here at the forums, and ensures we’ll stick around for many more awesome and exciting weekends in the future. 2022 promises epic grosses from both DC and Marvel, as well as Jurassic World, Lightyear, Mission: Impossible, Mario, and the almighty AVATAR. There's no way you want to miss all this cool stuff.

Third,

THIS THREAD WILL REMAIN LOCKED UNTIL WE GET A HARD NUMBER. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING.

And now...

WITHOUT FURTHER ADO

giphy.gif?cid=790b761163550f96264438b7cd

giphy.gif?cid=790b761139b4ce3157098ca10d

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611f0909ddaeb8dda9cf6

LETS DO THIS SHIT

5fee20004d3dc197e03582013b0ff983b40ad598

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 3

It's time.

https://deadline.com/2021/12/spider-man-no-way-home-opening-weekend-internati-1234891616/

Sony/Marvel’s Spider-Man: No Way Home grossed an estimated $5.28M in Korea on its first day today. This is significant for a number of reasons: Korea has been extremely soft of late, yet the launch day is 11% over the first day of 2019’s pre-pandemic Spider-Man: Far From Home and is the biggest day-one figure for any title of the pandemic era.

Korea was Far From Home’s second biggest international box office market, after China (which has not yet dated this webslinger installment), so its performance is one to watch as an indicator. It is possible Korea imposes stricter Covid restrictions ahead of the weekend, but let’s worry about that when/if it happens.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I got my tickets for tomorrow at 4 pm. I’m honestly shocked every showing I looked at at my theater is either sold out or almost sold out. I had to get a seat on the 3rd row cause I waited til today to buy tickets.

19 years ago when I was leaving the theater with a shit eating grin on my face, I would’ve never ever in a million years expected all we got from not only spider-man but the entire CBM genre and how it’s dominated pop culture for so long. I am so excited for this every man hero to bring audiences back to the kinoplex. And who better to do it than the one who started it all?

Former Co Producer Kevin Feige of course. 

Also way to make us feel old. I was 17 when I saw the first Spider-Man movie on opening weekend.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Can someone explain the pizza thing?

As an aside, and I know this shows my age again, it was a genuine surprise to see both Aasif Mandvi and Emily Deschanel when I rewatched this. It's always fun to go back to movies you haven't seen since you were like 10 and notice all the celebrities you never heard of as a kid pop up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Can someone explain the pizza thing?

In the Spider-Man 2, Peter is a pizza delivery guy and in one scene he says “pizza time” when delivering. In the last few years it has become a popular internet meme.

Edited by Multiverse of XXR

14 minutes ago, Multiverse of XXR said:

In the Spider-Man 2, Peter is a pizza delivery guy and in one scene he says “pizza time” when delivering. In the last few years it has become a popular internet meme.

Theme song for this weekend

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eric Osborn said:

It's still so dope they added that as an Easter Egg in the PS4 game

Holy shit! I've played through that game three times and never came across this. Well done, Insomniac.

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Since both Christmas and New Year fall on Saturday, how is thing done in USA or Canada? Do they get replacement , or the public holidays just go wasted? This may have some negative impact to NWH compared to other holiday release in other year. 

Theater hours might be altered, usually closing early on Xmas/New Year Eve and opening "late" on the actual holidays but they are open regardless. Movies usually decline a bit on the Eve holidays, and have big increases on the actual holidays.

2010, 2004, and 1999 had similar calendars if you want to check out how movies performed in those years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Since both Christmas and New Year fall on Saturday, how is thing done in USA or Canada? Do they get replacement , or the public holidays just go wasted? This may have some negative impact to NWH compared to other holiday release in other year. 

Last time we had this calendar configuration was way back in 2010. Tron: Legacy saw a 92% jump from the previous day and about 49% from the previous Saturday. Overall second weekend was -56%.

In 2004, Series of Unfortunate Events saw a Xmas Eve-Day jump of 53%, 62% the previous Saturday, and overall a 58% weekend drop. Of course, both movies had more muted reception (B+ Cinemascore), so it's not entirely a perfect correlation.

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

Theater hours might be altered, usually closing early on Xmas/New Year Eve and opening "late" on the actual holidays but they are open regardless. Movies usually decline a bit on the Eve holidays, and have big increases on the actual holidays.

2010, 2004, and 1999 had similar calendars if you want to check out how movies performed in those years.

I feel like having CD and NY on Saturday is a lost for box office since instead of having two Saturday-like day, this year we only got one for each. Just like in Malaysia, we lose both CD and NY holiday since it is on Saturday when by right, we can have two additional holiday if it wasn't on Sat, thereby making two extended weekend back to back.  

12 minutes ago, Eric Osborn said:

Last time we had this calendar configuration was way back in 2010. Tron: Legacy saw a 92% jump from the previous day and about 49% from the previous Saturday. Overall second weekend was -56%.

In 2004, Series of Unfortunate Events saw a Xmas Eve-Day jump of 53%, 62% the previous Saturday, and overall a 58% weekend drop. Of course, both movies had more muted reception (B+ Cinemascore), so it's not entirely a perfect correlation.

Ahh Tron Legacy, I should watch that again soon. 

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I feel like having CD and NY on Saturday is a lost for box office since instead of having two Saturday-like day, this year we only got one for each. Just like in Malaysia, we lose both CD and NY holiday since it is on Saturday when by right, we can have two additional holiday if it wasn't on Sat, thereby making two extended weekend back to back.  

It's going to shift to being more weekday-focused, or at least spread out through the week rather than one or two huge days. Friday (the Christmas Eve) will likely see a decent decline, things jump back up Saturday, and then see minimal drops (or maybe even slight gains) on Sunday and on-through to the weekdays. 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/date/2010-12-24/?ref_=bo_di_table_8

Adult centric films get bigger increases on Christmas Day while family skewing films had more muted increases, but went up on Sunday and basically stayed flat or even increased into Monday. Being a four-quadrant film I'd expect something in the middle of that performance from Spidey