The Wild Eric

No Way Home Weekend Thread | #RIP AIW Record | 260M OW DOM | 340M OS | 600M OW WW W/O CHINA

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

tbh a lot of theaters are probably just focusing on setting their Christmas Day schedules at the moment because it falls on a Saturday this year and is traditionally one of the biggest moviegoing days of any year overall.

except mine. Which still does not have tickets up but RRR for anything past Thursday. Very annoying for trying to book the kids Spider-Man tickets next week.

3 minutes ago, GoblinXXR said:

Yea, no one expects that it will. These are just the numbers it would need to stay above today if it would. I think it's going to be in the $35-38M range. 

true,though with A+ cinemascore...

Edited by john2000

35 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

This weekend just showcase in this polarised era, how rich become richer and poor become poorer.

The richest franchise not only reaping majority of the benefit of the market growth in the past decade, they are also in the finest position for recovery while Small/medium just got smaller than ever and waiting for a trickling down effect that may never come.  

Not exactly new at the movies or beyond.

Poor Spielberg.  I guess he'll salve his wounds with his 35% take off the next Jurrassic Park movie.  Too bad for him there's not a Transformers coming out soon.  Also, what's with the $100-130m budget for WSS with absolutely no stars. I wonder what his producer/director up front take was?

Edited by TalismanRing

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Also, what's with the $100-130m budget for WSS with absolutely no stars. I wonder what his producer/director up front take was?

Making a period piece doesn't come cheap, and making a period piece musical with a lot of elaborate song and dance numbers and hundreds of extras is naturally gonna drive the price up. Think Spielberg shot it almost entirely on location too (it certainly looks like it was), which no doubt cost a pretty penny.

36 minutes ago, Nerfy said:

I could see New York and California.

Nah, DeBlasio had a press conference on Omicron yesterday (NYC has highest case rates ever right now), and added absolutely zero new restrictions. Not even a mask mandate.

America & Europe/Canada have diverged in a big way this winter.

California can't even enforce a mask mandate right now. 

EDIT:

To keep it box office focused, I'll add: I don't think Québec will be much copy-catted. Should have a minimal impact on NWH's trajectory. 

The market of theater-goers is just over COVID at this point.

Edited by LinksterAC
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Nah, DeBlasio had a press conference on Omicron yesterday (NYC has highest case rates ever right now), and added absolutely zero new restrictions. Not even a mask mandate.

America & Europe/Canada have diverged in a big way this winter.

California can't even enforce a mask mandate right now. 

Dont want to fill chat with covid.

NYC hospitals right now says they can handle tens of thousands of cases right now. 

However Canadian health  care systems while free are overburden by a few 100 patients cause we have low capacity. Its the major flaw and reason Canada goes lockdown over a fraction of cases as USA states. 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

I’m sure these lockdowns are going to help Canada with their COVID issues, just like they did last time 

Not obvious how much public messaging of the sort help, but 

excess-deaths-cumulative-per-100k-econom

communique-du-8-decembre-2021-figure-2.s

Canada did really well, outside "islands country" not many had less pandemic death since the beginning.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Dont want to fill chat with covid.

NYC hospitals right now says they can handle tens of thousands of cases right now. 

However Canadian health  care systems while free are overburden by a few 100 patients cause we have low capacity. Its the major flaw and reason Canada goes lockdown over a fraction of cases as USA states. 

Believe me, I know the rationale behind the Canadian lockdowns (that seem to have dubious benefit, anyway).

I'm just highlighting that the USA & Canada are on very different trajectories on policy and that should mean the market is mostly very healthy for new openers in North America.

Edited by LinksterAC
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not obvious how much public messaging of the sort help, but 

excess-deaths-cumulative-per-100k-econom

communique-du-8-decembre-2021-figure-2.s

Canada did really well, outside "islands country" not many had less pandemic death since the beginning.

Not really the thread for either of your comments.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Oh ya, I guess this is the first weekend thread that break 100 pages. But if I can recall, IW and EG thread was above 300+ pages and some of the more popular top blockbusters such as DC and SW weekend have easily close to 200 pages. Maybe we really lose some poster to Covid-19 in the past 2 years. 

As mentioned in this thread yesterday, DC fandom took a hit for various reasons in recent years plus mods putting  the foot down on franchise wars gone amok. 

https://deadline.com/2021/12/spider-man-no-way-home-sony-tom-rothman-congratulations-to-staff-1234899655/

Sony’s Tom Rothman Congratulates Staff On ‘Spider-Man’ Success: “Spidey And Sony Have Struck A Mighty Blow” - Analysts are already talking that it’s bound to be the first $1 billion-grossing movie during the pandemic. Domestically, projections are ranging from $713M-$950M.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 3

4 minutes ago, Momori said:

https://deadline.com/2021/12/spider-man-no-way-home-sony-tom-rothman-congratulations-to-staff-1234899655/

Sony’s Tom Rothman Congratulates Staff On ‘Spider-Man’ Success: “Spidey And Sony Have Struck A Mighty Blow” - Analysts are already talking that it’s bound to be the first $1 billion-grossing movie during the pandemic. Domestically, projections are ranging from $713M-$950M.

Please take down TFA! Please, please, please!

Super stoked that it's #2 OW of all times and over 600M WW already. 1 billion in a couple of days. Over 2 billion in crosshairs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1