The Wild Eric

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** NO WAY HOME SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***DID WE MENTION SPOILERS?????***

43 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

I really dont understand the logic of TASM 3 or even Spider-Man 4 with Tobey.

Garfield at least deserved to finish up his trilogy. Maybe the reaction to this movie particularly his performance will make Sony realize they can still do a Garfield Spider-Man movie.

Edited by Cappoedameron

Just caught this tonight. As evidenced by the fact that I've basically been a ghost here for the last several months, I've been up to my eyeballs in work lately, so this ended up being the first blockbuster in seemingly forever-and-a-day that I had to wait until (*gasp!*) the opening Saturday to see.

That said, the final product ended up being worth the wait. The crowd erupted at the appearances of both previous Spider-Men, and I don't think there was a single wink or nod to any MCU nugget nor previous continuity that went unacknowledged. Definitely the most enjoyable audience experience I've had since Endgame, and it more than made up for the dread my decidedly germophobic self felt at being in a completely sold-out auditorium with coughing and wheezing (and maskless) fellow patrons in nearby rows.

17 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Garfield at least deserved to finish up his trilogy. Maybe the reaction to this movie particularly his performance will make Sony realize they can still do a Garfield Spider-Man movie.

The problem is that the best thing about those films was the chemistry between Andrew and Emma - and Gwen died.

• Like 2

Tobey's Peter seems in a good place besides I'm sure the usual trouble of making the balance work with MJ so a Spider-Man 4 wouldn't interest me but seeing how Garfield's Peter was affected by the events of NWH plus getting to know more about the darkness he experienced post TASM 2 is a genuinely intriguing story. 

• Like 1

This movie is kind of a fever dream, so I saw it a second time tonight to kind of take it all in.

This is definitely Holland's best venture as Spider-Man. His supporting roles in the greater-MCU films were great, and I liked him in his first two outings but those movies just don't touch this one for him. He really rises out of the shadow of the other MCU characters here and take the helm of this one big time. Much more emotional/personal weight as well. Somehow even fresh off the sting of Stark's sacrifice in Endgame, his trauma in FFH feels like a minor boo-boo compared to this one. I can't believe they managed to do "with great power..." again in this one and it have emotional weight and not have it feel like "someone has to say it". The supporting roles for MJ/Ned were a lot more involved this time around too and felt a lot more natural to the plot than in FFH where they kind of felt shoehorned in. Stuff was actually on the line for them too.

All the legacy characters were great. Definitely some plot points and holes regarding them that you could nitpick at but honestly fuck it, it's literal "magic". Tobey/Andrew were such a fun sight to see. Of course opening night crowd went nuts for them. I loved Tobey's movies when I was younger, never really cared for Garfield's films but I never disliked him in particular. Garfield really was a standout here. The scene with him saving MJ and getting his "redemption" got me teary eyed. Great acting from him for such a short bit. I'm glad they gave him some room to shine and I have to say it'd be really stupid of Sony not to include him in Venom 3 or whatever with that side going forward. Even if nothing further happens for Tobey/Andrew's Spider-Men, I'm really happy they got to take the stage again in this one. Molina and Foxx were on point and appreciated them getting to have some moments with their respective Spideys. Willem Dafoe fucking NAILED it too. So absolutely hammy and insane, you could really tell he was having a hell of a time revisiting this role. 

This movie also really showed me that, team-ups aside, Holland's Spidey really hasn't faced off against super strong villains. They posed threats, but neither could really challenge him strength wise like some of the villains the other two faced. Goblin absolutely manhandling him that first fight was wild. All in all, I loved the legacy stuff, glad we got to see a lot of these characters again and loved how they were handled.

Coming full circle to why this was Holland's best, there really was a lot of the emotional/personal weight we know and love from the character that kind of got taken away being Stark's protégé. The spell Strange casts at the end where he agrees to let everyone forget who Peter Parker is, essentially sacrificing any and all personal life and accomplishment he's ever gotten for the greater good... THAT is Spider-Man. Then when he walked in planning on (attempting) to explain it all the MJ with a prepared speech and all, only to stop after he see's the bandage on her head. Fuck, so goddamn fantastic. We're basically now at soft-reboot status for Spidey in the MCU. After this, I'd absolutely love to see Holland do at least another movie or two just doing the "Friendly Neighborhood" Spider-Man thing. Hell, do some street level team-ups with him, I know they didn't bring Charlie Cox in for nothing. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Mango said:

This movie is kind of a fever dream, so I saw it a second time tonight to kind of take it all in.

This is definitely Holland's best venture as Spider-Man. His supporting roles in the greater-MCU films were great, and I liked him in his first two outings but those movies just don't touch this one for him. He really rises out of the shadow of the other MCU characters here and take the helm of this one big time. Much more emotional/personal weight as well. Somehow even fresh off the sting of Stark's sacrifice in Endgame, his trauma in FFH feels like a minor boo-boo compared to this one. I can't believe they managed to do "with great power..." again in this one and it have emotional weight and not have it feel like "someone has to say it". The supporting roles for MJ/Ned were a lot more involved this time around too and felt a lot more natural to the plot than in FFH where they kind of felt shoehorned in. Stuff was actually on the line for them too.

All the legacy characters were great. Definitely some plot points and holes regarding them that you could nitpick at but honestly fuck it, it's literal "magic". Tobey/Andrew were such a fun sight to see. Of course opening night crowd went nuts for them. I loved Tobey's movies when I was younger, never really cared for Garfield's films but I never disliked him in particular. Garfield really was a standout here. The scene with him saving MJ and getting his "redemption" got me teary eyed. Great acting from him for such a short bit. I'm glad they gave him some room to shine and I have to say it'd be really stupid of Sony not to include him in Venom 3 or whatever with that side going forward. Even if nothing further happens for Tobey/Andrew's Spider-Men, I'm really happy they got to take the stage again in this one. Molina and Foxx were on point and appreciated them getting to have some moments with their respective Spideys. Willem Dafoe fucking NAILED it too. So absolutely hammy and insane, you could really tell he was having a hell of a time revisiting this role. 

This movie also really showed me that, team-ups aside, Holland's Spidey really hasn't faced off against super strong villains. They posed threats, but neither could really challenge him strength wise like some of the villains the other two faced. Goblin absolutely manhandling him that first fight was wild. All in all, I loved the legacy stuff, glad we got to see a lot of these characters again and loved how they were handled.

Coming full circle to why this was Holland's best, there really was a lot of the emotional/personal weight we know and love from the character that kind of got taken away being Stark's protégé. The spell Strange casts at the end where he agrees to let everyone forget who Peter Parker is, essentially sacrificing any and all personal life and accomplishment he's ever gotten for the greater good... THAT is Spider-Man. Then when he walked in planning on (attempting) to explain it all the MJ with a prepared speech and all, only to stop after he see's the bandage on her head. Fuck, so goddamn fantastic. We're basically now at soft-reboot status for Spidey in the MCU. After this, I'd absolutely love to see Holland do at least another movie or two just doing the "Friendly Neighborhood" Spider-Man thing. Hell, do some street level team-ups with him, I know they didn't bring Charlie Cox in for nothing. 

Imo I think its the best version of it since we actually know his relationship with Aunt May and she's been around since Civil War opposed to uncle Ben having about 10 minutes of screentime just to die and say the famous line. It really felt like a huge gut punch

Yes, Garfield was great, but how is this thread not 13 pages on Willem Dafoe? There are a million ways for that character to be lame as hell and he dodges every single one. 

There is no shortage of actors who can pull off Spidey. That's not at all the case with Goblin. The way he can instantly become endearing or terrifying in just a second is something else.

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, ddddeeee said:

Yes, Garfield was great, but how is this thread not 13 pages on Willem Dafoe? There are a million ways for that character to be lame as hell and he dodges every single one. 

There is no shortage of actors who can pull off Spidey. That's not at all the case with Goblin. The way he can instantly become endearing or terrifying in just a second is something else.

He was definitely great, but I feel like not enough people are praising Molina. He was really good.

Foxx was whatever.

I echo that Strange was the weakest link though that's expected from having a Basil Exposition role. The reason why NWH has such an unprecedented jump in interest for the Holland movie are Sony characters/actors (T&A), not another MCU crossover. 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Spider-Man needs a female villain. One of the things I didn’t like as much was that the two females in the film were the love interest and the auntie. And one of them died lol. MJ is so good. She deserves more than being rescued. 

Disagree about this movie, though. Inserting a female villain or another character just to check the box, when she clearly wouldn't resonate in universe, would have been a mistake that they thankfully didn't make. Very few people are going to come out of this movie lamenting the lack of kick-ass women. It's a 3 Spideys show and it delivers as such. Also, MJ is a type of character who gets rescued and this particular rescue by Andrew resonated above and beyond.

There are characters who don't get rescued (Black Cat, Silver Sable, Spider Gwen who is already used in Into the Spiderverse, ) so there's variety. It's just that live action Spiderman movies never moved on from MJ and (not Spider) Gwen and there's no reason why MJ should be upgraded into something she is not if there are canon characters waiting to be used. certainly not in a movie where focus and money shot are 3 generations of Parkers. 

42 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I echo that Strange was the weakest link though that's expected from having a Basil Exposition role. The reason why NWH has such an unprecedented jump in interest for the Holland movie are Sony characters/actors (T&A), not another MCU crossover. 

Disagree about this movie, though. Inserting a female villain or another character just to check the box, when she clearly wouldn't resonate in universe, would have been a mistake that they thankfully didn't make. Very few people are going to come out of this movie lamenting the lack of kick-ass women. It's a 3 Spideys show and it delivers as such. Also, MJ is a type of character who gets rescued and this particular rescue by Andrew resonated above and beyond.

There are characters who don't get rescued (Black Cat, Silver Sable, Spider Gwen who is already used in Into the Spiderverse, ) so there's variety. It's just that live action Spiderman movies never moved on from MJ and (not Spider) Gwen and there's no reason why MJ should be upgraded into something she is not if there are canon characters waiting to be used. certainly not in a movie where focus and money shot are 3 generations of Parkers. 

Oh I’m not saying MJ should be upgraded or that a new female villain should’ve been introduced here. 

Just that you’d expect they’d already have at least one interesting female character after 8 films. That’s all. 

Meryl Streep GIF

27 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Oh I’m not saying MJ should be upgraded or that a new female villain should’ve been introduced here. 

Just that you’d expect they’d already have at least one interesting female character after 8 films. That’s all. 

Meryl Streep GIF

We agree about that so fingers crossed they develop some of still unused characters in Holland and/or Garfield/Maguire movies. 

From what I've seen, fans want to see Black Cat. The ball is in your court Sony/Marvel. 🐈

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Icon Dafoe was incredible in this. His Norman here was more insidious than the one from 19 years ago.

• Like 1