Eric Atreides

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** NO WAY HOME SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***DID WE MENTION SPOILERS?????***

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

so It’s not just Peter who is forgotten but Spider-Man ? 

Yes. Mind you, the sound wasn't the best so I may have misheard something but it seems that Peter and Spiderman (who fought with Avengers) are forgotten. Peter is now a nobody who doesn't go to MIT, has no friends, lives in a poor room, but puts on home-made suit and swings into action when there's a crime.

Edited by Valonqar

27 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yes. Mind you, the sound wasn't the best so I may have misheard something but it seems that Peter and Spiderman (who fought with Avengers) are forgotten. Peter is now a nobody who doesn't go to MIT, has no friends, lives in a poor room, but puts on home-made suit and swings into action when there's a crime.

Working Class Spider-Man being back is something that was sorely needed for this franchise IMO.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Working Class Spider-Man being back is something that was sorely needed for this franchise IMO.

Agreed. Question, I didn't interpret the scene from MJ's cafe as that she and Ned were dating, just that they were going to MIT together but, again, bad sound, potato, and all that. What do you say? 

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Agreed. Question, I didn't interpret the scene from MJ's cafe as that she and Ned were dating, just that they were going to MIT together but, again, bad sound, potato, and all that. What do you say? 

That did not seem to be romantic pair imo, movie would have made it more obvious.

Holland's acting in that scene was great. You could see the heartbreak in his eyes as he made his choice after internally realizing that she would always be in danger if she knew him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

That did not seem to be romantic pair imo, movie would have made it more obvious.

Holland's acting in that scene was great. You could see the heartbreak in his eyes as he made his choice after internally realizing that she would always be in danger if she knew him. 

That's what I thought but I saw some online trolling like PP is a loser, even loses MJ to Ned. So I was, like, I know what I saw but let me confirm.

Absolutely, best Holland movie to date, it isn't even close. He really came to his own in this despite Andrew stealing scenes. Also, anyone who hasn't seen Euphoria and thinks Zendaya can't act should change their mind (and see Euphoria!) after this. She matches his heartbreak in the final 10 or so minutes (the "I love you" scene). Everyone brought the A game and I loved how they used Ned! 

Also, can we talk about the third act being amazing? I honestly think this movie is going to have the cultural impact of TA. The triple swing is up there with 360 degree camera of all Avengers. 

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

The disrespect to Tom Hardy and  Venom in this film means I have no choice but to give this film the lowest star rating possible on Letterboxd.

Lethal Protector stans unite

if that will comfort you, audience was absolutely extatic when Hardy showed up. And then there was a sigh of utter disappointment when he was sent back and even the zoom on the simbiote on the floor didn't bring back the excitement. If this reaction becomes a norm, they'll have to rethink sending Hardy back. People love him. 

• Like 2

the credits scene is so funny. the venom 2 one was like Amy Pascal saying "oh yeah baby the Toms Hardy and Holland are teaming up" and this one was like Feige saying "Hmmmmm.... no.❤️". also it doesn't make sense for him to be there if the spell only brought in people who knew Parker was Spider-Man?

other random spoiler adjacent thoughts

-it's a shame that the andrew garfield movies suck so much ass because when you get the three of them in a room together it becomes so much clearer that he's the best actor of all of them. tobey as much as I love him was... rusty.

-Jamie Foxx wasn't even trying just playing the bad guy version of himself, gone is his fun character work. and ifans and church only there for the voices the obvious reused footage of them at the end is kinda funny.

-Most obvious thing in the world but Dafoe mvp

-the suit at the end is pretty sexy. they finally get spider-man to the place i want to see him, which is basically the same place Tobey Maguire was at in Spider-Man 2.

-speaking of suits I can tell the spider-men apart when they're standing still but not in motion as red and blue CGI blurs. the end battle was a bit of a struggle knowing who I was looking at sometimes. spider banter goes a little long sometimes and is never that funny. just a lot of "in my movies it's like this." " huh well in my movies it's like this"

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I loved the banter especially at the scaffolding before their spider senses kicked in at the same time and we got the iconic triple swing. Such great chemistry and so natural.

Garfield is the best of the bunch and his character had as much  emotional heavy lifting to do as Holland despite limited screen time (compared to Holland).

PP's final swing through the snowy Xmas night was nothing short of beautiful and strangely uplifting despite somber previous scenes (goodbye to MJ, the graveyard, walking away from MJ and Ned, his poor living conditions). I can't wait to see what will happen next.  

• Like 2

- The scale of this was def overblown

- The Strange stuff was cool, can't wait for MoM

- As someone who has some investment in MCU spidey I felt like his story got the biggest blow in the movie. It felt like a fanservice-y excuse to do a reset, which makes investment in his previous appearances these past few years feel a bit of a waste tbh. But maybe now the fanboys who they're caving to will whine a bit less.

- Tobey is... not a good actor. Like he just stood out like a sore thumb next to Tom and Andrew.

- I’m not a fan of the plot device to kill May. Like yes PP messes up but when he kept trying to help the villains half the theatre was just groaning. I wish they’d come up with a stronger reason for him being so desperate to help them

- I wasn't expecting the forgetting spell's consequence. All throughout the film they made it out like they'd just forget he was Spidey, not forget Peter entirely. How does that even work? They just completely wiped his whole backstory somehow?

In the end it had some really nice moments and I'm curious to see where this goes, doesn't feel like he's going to college? Idk. 6/10.

Edited by thedast
  • Like 1

Based on his walking away from MJ and Ned who go to college, it seems that college is off the table for him so that he wouldn't ruin their lives. 

I mena, the whole reason for asking for the forgetfulness spell was that MJ and Ned were also rejected by MIT because they were close to him. So he wouldn't follow them to college, even after everyone forgot about him, which is the meaning of the cafe scene.

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

That's what I thought but I saw some online trolling like PP is a loser, even loses MJ to Ned. So I was, like, I know what I saw but let me confirm.

Absolutely, best Holland movie to date, it isn't even close. He really came to his own in this despite Andrew stealing scenes. Also, anyone who hasn't seen Euphoria and thinks Zendaya can't act should change their mind (and see Euphoria!) after this. She matches his heartbreak in the final 10 or so minutes (the "I love you" scene). Everyone brought the A game and I loved how they used Ned! 

Also, can we talk about the third act being amazing? I honestly think this movie is going to have the cultural impact of TA. The triple swing is up there with 360 degree camera of all Avengers. 

if that will comfort you, audience was absolutely extatic when Hardy showed up. And then there was a sigh of utter disappointment when he was sent back and even the zoom on the simbiote on the floor didn't bring back the excitement. If this reaction becomes a norm, they'll have to rethink sending Hardy back. People love him. 

Eat a dick, Kevin

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrPink said:

The disrespect to Tom Hardy and  Venom in this film means I have no choice but to give this film the lowest star rating possible on Letterboxd.

Lethal Protector stans unite

Not sure why there are laughing reacts to this. It's serious business and it's hard to see this surpassing a multi of 2x (possibly the worst Christmas legs of all time?) when audiences realise how utterly sidelined and maligned Sir Tom Hardy has been by Kevin Feige simply out of a fear or him surpassing him as a producer of Marvel films. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 2

So they really gonna pull a One More Day after all, eh?

Well, looks like crowds/GA are gonna love it, but mark my words.  The Peter/MJ shippers might be a bit put out if this isn't rectified pretty darn quick in future movies.

EDIT:::

And by "a bit put out" I mean "going on the warpath".

Fucking with the Peter/MJ relationship is a sure fire way to piss off a lot of die-hards.  If it works within the context of NWH, fantastic. Will probably buy filmmakers some time.  

But if it isn't dealt with.... Some folks gonna be maaaaaad.

Edited by Porthos

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

So they really gonna pull a One More Day after all, eh?

Well, looks like crowds/GA are gonna love it, but mark my words.  The Peter/MJ shippers might be a bit put out if this isn't rectified pretty darn quick in future movies.

EDIT:::

And by "a bit put out" I mean "going on the warpath".

Fucking with the Peter/MJ relationship is a sure fire way to piss off a lot of die-hards.  If it works within the context of NWH, fantastic. Will probably buy filmmakers some time.  

But if it isn't dealt with.... Some folks gonna be maaaaaad.

it also doesn't help that Tom and Zendaya actually have amazing chemistry as well as Peters friendship with Ned.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, thedast said:

- The scale of this was def overblown

- The Strange stuff was cool, can't wait for MoM

- As someone who has some investment in MCU spidey I felt like his story got the biggest blow in the movie. It felt like a fanservice-y excuse to do a reset, which makes investment in his previous appearances these past few years feel a bit of a waste tbh. But maybe now the fanboys who they're caving to will whine a bit less.

- Tobey is... not a good actor. Like he just stood out like a sore thumb next to Tom and Andrew.

- I’m not a fan of the plot device to kill May. Like yes PP messes up but when he kept trying to help the villains half the theatre was just groaning. I wish they’d come up with a stronger reason for him being so desperate to help them

- I wasn't expecting the forgetting spell's consequence. All throughout the film they made it out like they'd just forget he was Spidey, not forget Peter entirely. How does that even work? They just completely wiped his whole backstory somehow?

In the end it had some really nice moments and I'm curious to see where this goes, doesn't feel like he's going to college? Idk. 6/10.

I noticed this as well