Eric Atreides

Everything Everywhere All At Once | March 25, 2022 | A24 | Michelle Yeoh | From the Swiss Army Man directors | Profit of 32M

Great movie. Possibly a masterpiece, need to see it a couple more times to be sure. It's like if The Matrix ditched the cynicism and too cool for school vibe, had a baby with Quantum Leap, and that baby grew up to be an existentialist that really liked absurdist comedy.

• Like 4

I had previously skipped Swiss Army Man for looking unbearably obnoxious but I absolutely loved this so I gave it a shot and i couldn’t even finish it. I think the Daniels are very talented but the quirky random stuff can get too annoying (I think EEAAO almost goes overboard with it but keeps it grounded in the emotional character stuff well). Very excited to see what these two tackle next.

Guess I’m the doofus who thought Swiss Army Man was better. Both excel as visual feasts with a lovely oddball flair, but I think Swiss tackled its themes and ideas better. Still really got a kick out of this, and I especially loved Ke Huy Quan and his versatility here. I really hope he gets more work after this

21 hours ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

I especially loved Ke Huy Quan and his versatility here. I really hope he gets more work after this

Main thing I got out of this too. I remember watching him play Short Round in Indy 2 and getting annoyed that he didn't re-appear in any of the sequels and even more annoyed when I found out he practically didn't have an acting career afterwards. Really hope he actually gets to have one now (if that's what he wants). I think this movie would've failed without him and Yeoh. 

• Like 3

This movie genuinely kind of blew me away. I don't know how I feel about it yet. There were parts where it kind of felt like a lesser Michel Gondry/Rick and Morty impression. Then the third act hit me like a truck and had me in fucking tears. Probably didn't help I was listening to Time by Pink Floyd earlier and getting all reflective on life. Anyways it's something you should experience for yourself.

• Like 1

I like the first half of this movie, but the 2nd half is asinine with very trite, almost reductive messaging. And narratively has lot of the same issues as, like, NWH with detailing the lore of multiverses--wheel-spinning and exposition and constant climaxes. Very cool action sequences and it plays broad so I imagine it'll hold well

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AJG said:

Do we know what’s going on with the UK release?

no release date because like i said in the weekend thread A24 movies always take ages to get dated here, but someone here said it's going straight to Sky Cinema.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 1:22 PM, CoolioD1 said:

no release date because like i said in the weekend thread A24 movies always take ages to get dated here, but someone here said it's going straight to Sky Cinema.

That was debunked by the official Sky Cinema Twitter account, they said it’s “not one of theirs”. The total lack of information so far despite it being dated in other European countries definitely makes me think it’ll pop up on a streamer like The Green Knight did, which will be a massive shame because this seems like it’s worth seeing on the big screen. Hopefully I’m wrong though!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

That was debunked by the official Sky Cinema Twitter account, they said it’s “not one of theirs”. The total lack of information so far despite it being dated in other European countries definitely makes me think it’ll pop up on a streamer like The Green Knight did, which will be a massive shame because this seems like it’s worth seeing on the big screen. Hopefully I’m wrong though!

Oh, well that's good. if it gets dumped on streaming i hope it's at least a service i have.

• Like 2

This was nuts, and wonderfully so. Absurdly creative and wild, while also rooted in something sincere. 

Michelle Yeah and Jamie Lee Curtis are divine, but Ke Huy Quan and Stephanie Hsu are also terrific. A real strength of the film is the entire cast that contribute significantly to the emotional landscape of the film. This isn't a film that you process logically - you just feel it and experience it. It was a real treat.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

UK release date: May 13th. 

It says cinemas, however it was indicated a while ago that Sky would have it too, so not sure if it’ll be limited or they changed their minds after the US performance. 

Sky themselves debunked that rumour. It was never one of theirs.

I’m relieved it’s getting a cinema release, it definitely seems like a film that deserves to be seen big and loud.

‘Everything Everywhere All At Once’ Crosses $20M & Puts Arthouses Back On The Rails As Daniels’ Pic Looks To Become 4th Highest For A24

https://deadline.com/2022/04/everything-everywhere-all-once-box-office-milestone-arthouse-indie-cinema-1235007713/

i'm looking at The Numbers page for A24 (a little behind) and I didn't realize the 20m difference between Hereditary (47m) and Moonlight (27m).

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 1