Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am sure Flash will try though PLF screens will be premium at that time when we have big releases every week. Other movies are MI7 and Blue Beetle. I wish this summer were more spaced apart. There is hardly any breathing room for movies to thrive. 

It's crowded but at the same time seems manageable for the studios given how IP-heavy this summer is (and therefore have built-in audiences and will test the strength of those brands). It's just a question of whether anything that doesn't have an immediately built-in audience will come out of nowhere and surprise amidst all these familiar properties.

• Like 1

25 Fan Screenings on April 28 [same day of the embargo]

Maybe this will mess up the tracking work here a bit, but let´s hope this can help the OW, i remember it was helpful for The Batman 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

25 Fan Screenings on April 28 [same day of the embargo]

Maybe this will mess up the tracking work here a bit, but let´s hope this can help the OW, i remember it was helpful for The Batman 

Batman was just early Imax/PLF screenings on tue/wed. That was augumented by Atom deal. This is just free Fan Screenings. I dont remember last time this was done for a big sequel. 

That said I think this is a good decision. Let us see how presales move the day later. You are talking about 10K folks watching this early. WOM should help for sure. Batman had 4m+ worth of early shows. That is in different bracket all together. Only other movie was Maverick. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Batman was just early Imax/PLF screenings on tue/wed. That was augumented by Atom deal. This is just free Fan Screenings. I dont remember last time this was done for a big sequel. 

That said I think this is a good decision. Let us see how presales move the day later. You are talking about 10K folks watching this early. WOM should help for sure. Batman had 4m+ worth of early shows. That is in different bracket all together. Only other movie was Maverick. 

Oh i see, i though it was for sale not for free, let´s hope they decided to do even more than 25 then, i really hope next saturday we´ll see a massive jump from FRI, the astonishing type of jump 

If not even reviews [great ones let´s hope] + fan screenings couldn´t generate some big surge at sales then i´ll be worried, so far i´m hopeful despite all the bad numbers and path

2 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Simultaneously a good sign that they are confident in the film and also shows desperation knowing that current tracking is embarrassing

I mean. Tracking IS bad. It'd be much worse if they pretended it wasn't.

I think it's a good thing. If anything all they have done really screams to me that they think they have a strong film on their hands.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

FWIW, Let There Be Carnage greatly benefitted from free screenings.  It had a massive hook that propelled discussion, sure.  But just the buzz out of those free screenings propelled it into the stratosphere, especially since it had an exceptionally late social/review lift.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

Doing free screenings a week early is a good thing. I don't see how anyone can try to spin this as a bad thing. Letting people talk about how good the movie is (And I presume so considering the past 2 Guardians films+Marvel even doing this despite their spoilerphobia) is what it needs to get a boost.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GOGODanca said:

Simultaneously a good sign that they are confident in the film and also shows desperation knowing that current tracking is embarrassing

I believe it's the 1st MCU movie ever to give out free tickets during the week before its release.

It would be ironic if all the folks who grabbed these tickets already had OW tickets, and now give them back...

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

I believe it's the 1st MCU movie ever to give out free tickets during the week before its release.

Not true. Shang-Chi did the same thing and Eternals likewise. I saw Shang-Chi at a free screening in fact. Though yes, there is something to say that this is the first time they have done this strategy since Eternals.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eric Williams said:

Not true. Shang-Chi did the same thing and Eternals likewise. I saw Shang-Chi at a free screening in fact. Though yes, there is something to say that this is the first time they have done this strategy since Eternals.

So, the 2 "big Covid wave" releases got it, and that's it.

So, this is the 1st time in non-Covid times this has happened in the MCU...

53 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

This is a very good move. Tracking for Guardians currently has it closer to 90M right? With a good response out of these screenings it can get past the 100M opening mark.

Maybe they can do something else to push it further over $100m, ie to where the last film opened: $146.5m

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Technically Black Widow was actually their big Covid wave release. 

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

No, Civil War had free screenings a month before it came out.

With the social embargo lifting today and most reactions seems to on positive side could we see a catalyst in sales today or tomorrow? Most of the reactions are in French so maybe it won´t reach the domestic audience? Doesn´t seem like there will be any more screenings then the one they had today before the LA premiere on Thursday night so if not Friday it is?