Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The comedy sequel curse appears ready to strike again with Book Club 2. Starting to feel like a sub-$10M opener despite falling on Mother's Day weekend (and having Early Access screenings this Sunday).

I don't even know what Knights of the Zodiac even is. Gonna guess it's a schlocky action movie.

It's a shit adaptation of a classic shonen manga that sony somehow managed to give a 60 million budget to. Pretty much the bomb of the year I guess.

Weird final week for sure. Mon/Wed were good but Tue/Thu were meh. Final day walkups in MTC1 spike from wed was really bad. from 26K, I expected 100K and it did 10% worse and that is more than half a million there. 

Fri presales at MTC1 is still lower than Ant 3 and again wednesday sales for Friday shows were also lower. Let us see how walkups go today. I am thinking 45m OD including previews for now. 

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Weird final week for sure. Mon/Wed were good but Tue/Thu were meh. Final day walkups in MTC1 spike from wed was really bad. from 26K, I expected 100K and it did 10% worse and that is more than half a million there. 

Fri presales at MTC1 is still lower than Ant 3 and again wednesday sales for Friday shows were also lower. Let us see how walkups go today. I am thinking 45m OD including previews for now. 

So, for Friday only, you're thinking 28M?

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

So, for Friday only, you're thinking 28M?

for now. But this is all looking from too far. Let us see where things are this evening. I am sure Charlie and even Empire at Twitter will keep updating us and I am sure Deadline will have early numbers. They tend to be fairly accurate for big movies unless they are uber breakouts. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

por ahora. Pero todo esto es mirar desde demasiado lejos. Veamos cómo están las cosas esta noche. Estoy seguro de que Charlie e incluso Empire en Twitter seguirán actualizándonos y estoy seguro de que Deadline tendrá los primeros números. Tienden a ser bastante precisos para las grandes películas, a menos que sean súper rupturas. 

+$50M OD + Previews

• Founder / Operator
2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

This is similar to where I was as well as of Wed morning, just a tad higher for OD: 

115.2 weekend

Still liking the internal holding patterns. Working on updated projections that will be on BOP as soon as Disney emails.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Ugh! So not even glowing word of mouth can help?

Edited by poweranimals

5 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

It will help for sure. But too soon to make a difference. I am expecting better than norm saturday increase and excellent Sunday drop. True value of WOM is holds beyond OW. For example the movie can still gross 300m from 115OW despite opening off summer/holidays and MCU having such a big fan base. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

word of mouth doesn't show up that fast, saturday and sunday hold especially are where it kicks in, the batman for example had like a 20% drop on its first sunday

6 hours ago, vafrow said:

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-box-office-forecast-spider-man-across-the-spider-verse-and-the-boogeyman/

BOP long term forecast.

Spiderverse estimated at $85-105M. 

Boogeyman with a pretty healthy $19M-26M.

8% decline in Fast X. No change to TLM.

Why do you hate me, @Shawn?   What did I ever do to you? :sadno:

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 Drafthouse

T-1 Friday(547 showings): 20470(+2576)/69389 ATP: $15.24

0.970x Ant-Man 3 T-1 (28.05M)

0.594x Black Panther WF T-1 (33.41M)

0.823x Thor L&T T-1 (33.36M)

0.628x Doctor Strange MoM T-1 (34.37M)

0.812x Batman T-1 (28.41M)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 Drafthouse