Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

44 minutes ago, CJohn said:

A shame to read this but expected. I am guessing other movies will be sold to streamers or maybe they will try to get bought by a studio/streamer. 

I can totally seeing Netflix or Hulu paying big bucks for Borderlands. That bonkers cast alone should guarantee strong streaming numbers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Hows DS2 in 3d doing?

3D seats account for 9.88% of all sales in Sacto right now. 

Breaking that down a bit more:

3D overall: 991/5532 [17.91% sold]

PLF [3D]:   566/2180 [25.96% sold]

So a little over half of the 3D sales locally are from PLF, and a a large portion of that from 4DX/DBOX showings [4DX is 3D exclusive locally, which is bumping up the total, as are the 4pm-6pm PLFs).

One thing I did note is that Regal started to shift (non PLF) 3D showings that hadn't sold any tickets to 2D showings last night.  Just a handful across the region were shifted, but I noted it all the same

6 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I think Lionsgate is done.  Moonfall bombed and cost them millions.  They pulled The Unbreakable Boy from the schedule in March, sold off Shotgun Wedding to Amazon a couple weeks ago, their marketing ran a terrible campaign on The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent and now it appears the trailer for The Devil's Light has been removed.  

They are still the closing presentation at CinemaCon, but I can't imagine how or why.  

If I were them and I needed a guaranteed cash infusion, they should move up John Wick 4 to August.  It is reportedly done and ready to go.  

Preach it :sadfleck:Massive Talent's campaign started off with so much potential but they fumbled it after SXSW.

• Like 1

Strangely, I had seen more tv spots of Massive Talent than The Northman.   Can't blame Lionsgate's marketing.

Maybe it is simply the film isn't interesting enough. 

Both Massive Talent and The Northman should have gone straight to streamers, just like Deep Water.  

1 minute ago, John2015 said:

Strangely, I had seen more tv spots of Massive Talent than The Northman.   Can't blame Lionsgate's marketing.

Maybe it is simply the film isn't interesting enough. 

Both Massive Talent and The Northman should have gone straight to streamers, just like Deep Water.  

Nah, keep Northman in theaters. If it bombs, it bombs but it's made for theatrical experience so offer the option. It'll be VOD in like 2 weeks anyway

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Preach it :sadfleck:Massive Talent's campaign started off with so much potential but they fumbled it after SXSW.

It was never gonna click with the general public anyway. It's a festival kinda movie. 

22 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

How did lionsgate screw up Talent's marketing campaign? Looking at it from the outside it looked pretty good

They're clearly broke (the result of Moonfall being a pricey bomb for the ages? Probably). Next scheduled release isn't until mid-September. Their panel at CinemaCon will be the most interesting cause what the heck will they talk about with no movies to promote?

I said it before but "Massive Talent" is a dumb title. Just call it "The Nic Cage Movie" or something. It just adds to how overall lowrent the film looks--indistinguishable from Cage's recent VOD dreck. And the cast isn't great or draws. Has Tiffany Haddish appeared in a movie the general public liked or saw since Night School (which was elevated by Kevin Hart)? Meta comedy doesn't do well either. This Is the End being an exception but that was an all-star cast with the apocalypse hook. This is much smaller and confusing (is it an action film?). A studio more capable of savy marketing and dominating social media would have been better suited since it's a niche/"hipster" film.

• Like 2

Both JW3 (4pm) and TG2 (3pm) showtimes are starting to populate on Fandango. 

Surprised to see Top Gun 2 showtimes going up already since according to EC they're not supposed to be on sale for a couple more weeks, but there sure seem to be a lot of showtimes being set aside for it.

Hard to say for JW3 as not as many theaters have set up anything yet, but I'm sure there's gonna be a ton for it as well.

Edited by Porthos