EmpireCity

Christmas Weekend Thread (24-26 Dec). No Way Home (84.5m) | Matrix (22.5m 5 day) | Sing 2 (39.4m 5 day)

Just now, Coldbird said:

Its funny how for "global opening weekend" the weekend is from tuesday to sunday internationally, but for counting the drop the weekend becames FSS.

True but when figuring out legs seems overseas is heading for a leggy run and remember few markets closed theaters 

20 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Ghostbusters will likely end just below 2016 and the OS numbers aren't great for the franchise.

Will be an interesting thing to see what Sony does from here with regards to a sequel since the next movie will have to stand on it's own without nostalgia benefit. It's a very Star Trek problem - OS doesn't care, domestic there's a ceiling.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Hmmm, is it the calendar configuration?

What is the "best" day of the week for Christmas to fall on?

I think Christmas Thursday has a pretty strong case. You get Boxing Day on a Friday. Saturday and Sunday were going to be strong regardless. It also puts Christmas Eve on a Wednesday, which is often already your “worst” weekday anyway, so least amount of loss there

Edited by The Fast and the Furiosa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

What is the "best" day of the week for Christmas to fall on?

Best approach is to just stop looking at weekend drop etc in December and focus on date wise trends.

The best date to have 2nd weekend drop is xmas on Friday. Boxing day on Friday won't be too bad either.

TFA did $149M on 25-27th while only $133M 24-26th. In NWH calender placement, would have done probably 125M ish burning one extra day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Ghostbusters will likely end just below 2016 and the OS numbers aren't great for the franchise.

Will be an interesting thing to see what Sony does from here with regards to a sequel since the next movie will have to stand on it's own without nostalgia benefit. It's a very Star Trek problem - OS doesn't care, domestic there's a ceiling.

What's weird about Star Trek is that internationally Star Trek Discovery is a way bigger show than it is in the US (mostly thanks to Netflix).

I think the biggest issue is 2nd weekend curse. Of the top 10 of the year, 5 of them have 2nd weekend drop over 65%. This is normally the drop for some bad horror film in pre-pandemic time but now almost every major openers are BvS. 

I have never experienced such a boring box office trend where you can throw 2.3x to 2.7x multipliers leg and probably >90% of the films will fall within that 4 decimal points. We need more casual moviegoers to fill in the seat. 

• Like 4

So, American Underdog, with that open, looking to be this December's #3 movie by the end of its run (behind Spidey and Sing 2)...what?  It should hold better than all the sequels and the Oscar bait b/c football playoffs are later this year...

I'll say now - if the movie could get Kurt Warner touting it now every Sunday til the Super Bowl, we could see some super holds...

47 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Looks like Disney sacrificed 100M for Encanto to put it on Disney+ over Christmas. It was always a touch and go to 100M but the Christmas day drop might have sealed it.

I wonder how many families that planned to see Sing, ended up staying at home to watch Encanto for free? Lol. 

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, American Underdog, with that open, looking to be this December's #3 movie by the end of its run (behind Spidey and Sing 2)...what?  It should hold better than all the sequels and the Oscar bait b/c football playoffs are later this year...

I'll say now - if the movie could get Kurt Warner touting it now every Sunday til the Super Bowl, we could see some super holds...

I took my mom to see it and I'll say that I'm not an emotional person when it comes to movies, but it got me twice. I can see why it got the A+ Cinemascore. I can also see it bagging $100M domestically. 

• Like 1