EmpireCity

Christmas Weekend Thread (24-26 Dec). No Way Home (84.5m) | Matrix (22.5m 5 day) | Sing 2 (39.4m 5 day)

5 hours ago, Landon1195 said:

Since Christmas Day is on Saturday unlike the other $150M+ openers I think the jump will be higher.

Why would the day Christmas Day falls on impact the increase? It doesn't matter if Christmas day is Monday or Wednesday or Saturday or whatever, it's a holiday all across North America it's not going to jump any higher than what other typical Christmas Day movies jump.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tokugennumataka said:

Any way Sunday sees an increase over Saturday? I think a 10 percent bump is within the realms of possibility. Best case scenario of 20-38-42 puts it at even 100.

0%chance of that happening. Christmas Day is one of the biggest days for movies of the calendar year.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Shanks said:

Special Mention:

Little Fockers (2010) fell 30% on Christmas Eve and Jumped 197% on 25th and it's Prequel Meet The Fockers (2004) dropped 42% on Chrismas Eve and jumped 173% on 25th.

But what make 'em EXTRA Special? 

Christmas Eve was Friday and 25th was Saturday for both  of those films and it is same for NWH.

Fockers is in that Christmas Day sweet spot of live action, PG-13 family comedy, where everyone from young-ish kids to grandma can watch together (see also: Daddy’s Home)

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It isn't. A normal Saturday is better than Xmas day I think. 

Say what?  A normal Saturday has other things going on that you can do.  In America almost everything is closed except movie theaters, which really limits your options.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Say what?  A normal Saturday has other things going on that you can do.  In America almost everything is closed except movie theaters, which really limits your options.

I mean we have cases of boxing day increasing over Christmas day for many films, that right there make XMAS day smaller than that.

Business is spread over various days at similar levels. I think A normal Saturday may be able to do what a film do on XMAS day.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

16 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I mean we have cases of boxing day increasing over Christmas day for many films, that right there make XMAS day smaller than that.

Business is spread over various days at similar levels. I think A normal Saturday may be able to do what a film do on XMAS day.

Exceptions are not the rules? There is a reason that Studios release their films in the US how they do. Christmas Day is statistically the biggest box office day of the year - regardless of which calendar day it falls on. A few films (of minor significance) increasing on Boxing Day is an exception but the day in total is always down from the 25th. 

Other countries, particularly in Europe are the opposite since Boxing Day is the main out of the house holiday (same with Canada in years past.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

Exceptions are not the rules? There is a reason that Studios release their films in the US how they do. Christmas Day is statistically the biggest box office day of the year - regardless of which calendar day it falls on. A few films (of minor significance) increasing on Boxing Day is an exception but the day in total is always down from the 25th. 

Other countries, particularly in Europe are the opposite since Boxing Day is the main out of the house holiday (same with Canada in years past.) 

I think Charlie is talking specifically about Christmas falling on a Saturday, not just any day of the week. Because Saturday is almost always the strongest day of the week, does it really help to have it be a holiday? The fact that you have some movies dropping on boxing Day less than they would have done on a standard Sunday (and sometimes increasing even) shows that it is relatively more boosted than Christmas day itself.

Edited by Agafin

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Only Spielberg + Disney can have the power to retain that many theater location over the holiday despite WSS has been doing meh number.  

Yep. Pissed that Gucci lost so many theaters while Eternals still has a ton despite doing less than Gucci. That really killed Gucci's shot at 50M dom. Also, even that power can't make people interested in WSS. Karma. I don't care how good the movie is, I hate the practice of keeping too many theaters for movies that play to empty auditoriums.

• Like 3

WSS saw a 49% drop from last Friday where it dropped nearly 75% (thanks Spidey!) despite reduced showtimes thanks to Christmas Eve so it's drop seems acceptable since it's looking at a huge increase today. The theater I'm seeing Sing 2 with the fam at later today has actually nearly filled up two shows this afternoon for WSS in larger auditoriums (it moves to a single small one at night) with the second replacing a Matrix show that sold nothing (yikes), though this is a very arthouse-friendly area. My Sing show is almost completely sold out too and both that and Spidey are filling up pretty much everything. Gonna be a big day for moviegoing.