EmpireCity

Christmas Weekend Thread (24-26 Dec). No Way Home (84.5m) | Matrix (22.5m 5 day) | Sing 2 (39.4m 5 day)

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Will this even surpass The Suicide Squad's $55M total? Yeesh.

I don't think we can just blame HBO Max for this - 65% verified rating for Matrix 4 on Rotten Tomatos, B- Cinemascore, and the picked date of release behind a juggernaut.  

I mean, if my kid hadn't begged for this, I wouldn't be seeing it Wednesday.  As is, now I'm using my viewing as a "is the GA or the critics more my style" viewing...

At least with my area in an uber-outbreak (which also didn't exist when I bought these tickets), I'll be in a pretty empty theater...so, there's that...only one emptier would probably be King's Man...

Edit: I just checked - yup, gonna be empty - I still have the only 4 seats sold for the showing in a 100 seat theater (so it's not the 60 seater, although maybe it should be:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Eric Smith said:

Dude it’s Christmas Eve

I know everything will jump today, but Matrix will do 50m total, Sing probably 115, King's Man 25, American Underdog and Journal for Jordan less than 10, and WSS about 30. That's objectively bad for each of those movies. But I don't want to be a Grinch. Spider-Man numbers continue to be very strong. I think Uncharted could have mini breakout starting in February. And once March hits, the 2022 schedule is alot better than this year. But January is gonna be rough, rough, rough outside maybeee Scream, and I think that the combination of bad box office and Omnicron could lead to studios panic delaying movies. I hope not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I reminder that Dune did really well despite HBO Max so it shows that people come to cinemas if they are interested. Matrix 4 wasn't what people were clamoring for after the sequels. So Max can't be blamed all the time since some movies overcome it.

I don't think anyone is disputing that Matrix 4 would've had terrible legs and an underwhelming total gross at this point, but without HBO Max, it would've had a pretty big opening. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't think anyone is disputing that Matrix 4 would've had terrible legs and an underwhelming total gross at this point, but without HBO Max, it would've had a pretty big opening. 

Maybe a big opening day...but with the GA feedback, it could have had an epic drop anyway...and even then, by opening after the Spiderman juggernaut, it never could have too high an opening day b/c there wasn't the seasonal theatrical space...too many people wanting Christmas money meant they all got almost none...

Edited by TwoMisfits