EmpireCity

Christmas Weekend Thread (24-26 Dec). No Way Home (84.5m) | Matrix (22.5m 5 day) | Sing 2 (39.4m 5 day)

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I know everything will jump today, but Matrix will do 50m total, Sing probably 115, King's Man 25, American Underdog and Journal for Jordan less than 10, and WSS about 30. That's objectively bad for each of those movies. But I don't want to be a Grinch. Spider-Man numbers continue to be very strong. I think Uncharted could have mini breakout starting in February. And once March hits, the 2022 schedule is alot better than this year. But January is gonna be rough, rough, rough outside maybeee Scream, and I think that the combination of bad box office and Omnicron could lead to studios panic delaying movies. I hope not.

I know that Leto is #TheWorst, but Morbius will probably breakout  bigly. People are slaves to the Marvel name and will ride NWH’s coattails hardcore

1 minute ago, Eric Smith said:

I know that Leto is #TheWorst, but Morbius will probably breakout  bigly. People are slaves to the Marvel name and will ride NWH’s coattails hardcore

Normally I'd tend to agree but the trailer got absolutely zero buzz whatsoever in front of either Venom or Spidey, not even polite chatter, which is less than I can say for any other trailer that aired.

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Normally I'd tend to agree but the trailer got absolutely zero buzz whatsoever in front of either Venom or Spidey, not even polite chatter, which is less than I can say for any other trailer that aired.

My anecdotal evidence is different. It was the only trailer that got buzz though I never saw it paired with something big like NWH. Mostly disposable crap like Ambulance, 355 and now obviously ineffective Matrix trailers. Scream got buzz when it played but they didn't have Morbius attached for that movie, don't remember which. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

Maybe I'm the abnormal GA supers fan, but I like the vibe and the feel of the most recent Mobius trailer...it feels like I haven't seen that MCU movie or Sonyverse movie before, and those tend to be my favorite movies...

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I know everything will jump today, but Matrix will do 50m total, Sing probably 115, King's Man 25, American Underdog and Journal for Jordan less than 10, and WSS about 30. That's objectively bad for each of those movies. But I don't want to be a Grinch. Spider-Man numbers continue to be very strong. I think Uncharted could have mini breakout starting in February. And once March hits, the 2022 schedule is alot better than this year. But January is gonna be rough, rough, rough outside maybeee Scream, and I think that the combination of bad box office and Omnicron could lead to studios panic delaying movies. I hope not.

Can you at least wait until the estimates tomorrow before pressing the panic button? The holiday stretch officially starts today and won't be over until next Sunday.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It got buzz at my viewings for Ghostbusters and Spidey...but maybe that's b/c I was one of the ones bringing the buzz...

12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't think anyone is disputing that Matrix 4 would've had terrible legs and an underwhelming total gross at this point, but without HBO Max, it would've had a pretty big opening. 

If with big you mean 40-50 top, there is not way it was going to do 70-80 with these numbers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Can you at least wait until the estimates tomorrow before pressing the panic button? The holiday stretch officially starts today and won't be over until next Sunday.

Expect disappointment and you'll never be disappointed. The most I've ever emotionally connected with a Marvel movie ever!

Seriously though, my showing of WSS is sold out today so maybe it's a sign of things to come (44 seater though).

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

We can safely exclude another Oscar contender

LOL, didn't Journal For Jordan get excluded as an awards hopeful once that first trailer dropped and it looked like a Hallmark/Lifetime Christmas movie? And 2 PM previews on Christmas Eve amounts to, like, one showing.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl