The Panda

The 2021 BOFFY Awards - WINNER REVEAL STARTS ON PAGE 14

Postpone Deadline to 21st?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Postpone?

5z8hto.jpg

I hope everyone had a Happy Holiday season, and a happy New Year coming up. @Ezen Baklattan and I are once again asking you to participate in the BOFFYs, our annual forum movie madness awards. It was another tough year for the Box Office, but there's been a lot of high quality movie content that has come out (in cinemas and through our streaming apps) that all deserves our consideration.

The categories we are asking nominations for: 

(rank 10 choices)

BEST PICTURE 

(rank 6 choices)

BEST DIRECTOR 

BEST ENSEMBLE 

BEST ACTOR

BEST ACTRESS

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

BEST VOICE PERFORMANCE

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

BEST EDITING

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

BEST HAIR AND MAKEUP DESIGN

BEST SOUND DESIGN

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

BEST SOUNDTRACK

BEST STUNT ENSEMBLE

MOST EPIC BOX OFFICE RUN

MOST SOUL CRUSHING BOX OFFICE RUN

Short List Categories

BEST BREAKTHROUGH (filmmaker, actor, writer, etc.)

BEST YOUTH PERFORMANCE (any actor under 20 y/o when film was shot)

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

BEST OVERLOOKED FEATURE (Film without “serious” awards consideration and made under 25m at the Box Office DOM)

BEST COMEDY FEATURE

BEST MUSICAL FEATURE

BEST HORROR FEATURE

WORST FEATURE

BEST SCENE

BEST HERO

BEST VILLAIN

BEST TV SHOW/MINISERIES – COMEDY

BEST TV SHOW/MINISERIES - DRAMA

FUNNIEST USER

MOST VALUABLE USER

BEST FORUM MOMENT

We are just needing the short list categories for the January 25th deadline. Your short list ballot can include up to 10 (unranked) nomination choices. You may submit less than 10, but no more than 10. These ballots will be used to generate short lists for the main nomination ballot which will be due a few weeks later. Once the short lists are revealed, you will choose 6 of them to nominate with the rest for the main ballot.

Eligibility:

1. Just like last year, anything released theatrically or on streaming in 2021 is eligible to vote for. Go by whichever official release date was first (not including film festivals). Ie. Nomadland was eligible last year as it had an official theatrical release in 2020, thus not eligible this year. Judas and the Black Messiah was officially released in 2021, so despite its weird Oscar qualification for last year, it is eligible for the BOFFYs this year. Just to clarify, films released only on streaming in 2021 are eligible (as long as it fits the bill as a traditional feature length film.
  2. Something like Fear Street would be considered to be 3 separate movies. This is similar to how Small Axe was treated last year.
  3. In general, eligibility for categories like Supporting vs. Lead, Comedy feature, TV Comedy vs Drama, will be up to the user discretion. If there is a case users would really like firm guiding on, bring it up in the thread and we can discuss it. Otherwise, vote for where you would like to place things and if they get in they get in. As before, use this thread for FYCs so people can see where others are voting for category favorites.
  4. When defining Best Scene for the short list, try to be broad and use language similar to others who FYCs that film. This will help avoid confusion on the vote tallying to ensure two different scenes dont get counted as the same, or the same scenes are treated as different ones.

Get busy adding FYCs! Happy nomming!

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Do recordings of stage shows, such as Come From Away on Apple or In & Of Itself on Hulu, count for any categories? I understand they don't necessarily have the same film language, but both still rely on important conventions of film in these specific iterations. In & Of Itself in particular has a lot of moments and sequences that were not in the stage show.

46 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

Do recordings of stage shows, such as Come From Away on Apple or In & Of Itself on Hulu, count for any categories? I understand they don't necessarily have the same film language, but both still rely on important conventions of film in these specific iterations. In & Of Itself in particular has a lot of moments and sequences that were not in the stage show.

The ruling last year was these count for picture but not acting categories. So we’ll stick to that I think.

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

The ruling last year was these count for picture but not acting categories. So we’ll stick to that I think.

Fair enough. In that case...

FYC

Derek DelGaudio's In & Of Itself for Best Picture

rQQzsEvF0KdNjSkTCCPQ4u114Yg.jpg

No joke, this is a rare film/show/whatever that I recommend to everybody. It will blow you away and make you really dig deep into yourself and the people around you in a way no other movie this year has achieved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

Something like Fear Street would be considered to be 3 separate movies. This is similar to how Small Axe was treated last year.

Okay team, which one do we want to push? 1666? I just need to know how to place my votes. 

35 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Can re-releases be counted or only films released for the first time this year?

Funniest User: @Sheldon Cr

Most valuable user: @Issac Newton

Best forum moment: the slow decline and dissipation of users who doubted Avatar 2.

What do you mean by re-releases?

FYC BEST MINISERIES - DRAMA

midnight-mass-poster.jpeg

Terrific horror with a more unconventional and creative use of religious horror themes. There’s some batshit crazy stuff throughout that left me shook like nothing else this year (especially the climax in the second to last episode). Only If it were a movie, Linklater and Sloyan would be in contention for my picks for Actor and Actress. Both deliver some of the juiciest on screen villains I’ve seen in the last few years.

Movie FYCs to come.

• Like 1

FYC for Best TV Show/Miniseries – Comedy

odd-taxi-3.jpg?resize=1000,600&ssl=1

Series: Odd Taxi

Synopsis: A 13-episode anime series similar in tone to Tarantino/Ritchie movies in which a taxi driving walrus gets entangled in the criminal underbelly of a Zootopia-ish Tokyo.

Where to Watch: The series is free on Crunchyroll, who also uploaded the first episode to YouTube.

Disclaimer: IMDb lists this as a Comedy but as someone who's seen the series, this is something that could go either way because of where the story goes. In my mind, this would be a comedy in the way Red with Bruce Willis is a comedy, but whether this is "drama" or "comedy" is honestly a little disputable. Of course, you'll have to watch the series yourself to find out why I'm saying this...

What Makes Odd Taxi Special: This is one of those stories where every line of dialogue, every shot, and every character interaction holds a lot of importance to the overarching narrative. Everything is stitched together very well, and nothing is out of place. The series balances an ensemble of fun characters and makes them all exciting to watch. I recommend this series to people who are anime fans as well as to people who aren't.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, The Panda said:

BEST PICTURE 

BEST DIRECTOR 

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

MOST SOUL CRUSHING BOX OFFICE RUN

Let go ETERNALS FOR ALL OF THESE 🥺🥺

BEST OVERLOOKED FEATURE (Film without “serious” awards consideration and made under 25m at the Box Office DOM)

i can’t believe matrix 4 is probably going to qualify for this

also

I’m Your Man. Probably my favorite film of the year. 

BEST MUSICAL FEATURE

time to nominate both of Alice Brooks’ works; Tick Tick Boom And In The Heights

WORST FEATURE

We all know it’s gonna be Red Notice or Tomorrow World, but FYC don’t forget Reminiscence. 

BEST TV SHOW/MINISERIES – COMEDY

SUCCESSION

BEST TV SHOW/MINISERIES - DRAMA

SUCCESSION. 

MOST VALUABLE USER

@Porthos

@keysersoze123

@Menor Reborn

@ZackM

@Inceptionzq

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3